Help with 97 summit 670

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The problem is that I broke the steering shaft/post.

My question is after looking at it, is do I have to pull the motor to remove and replace or is it possible to get it done without???:confused:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sucks to do it without pulling the motor, but it can be done. If you undo the back 2 mounts, you can tip the motor a little which will help you get access to the bottom 2 bolts. You will have to pull the airbox, it helps if you pull the carbs off, don't have to disconnect them, but just pull them out of the boots into the rotary valve so that you can move them around.

Wildchild can make you a new one that is way stronger, I got mine for $180, and its 2" taller than stock. If you are using a riser on the stock one that is why it broke and it will just break again, I went through 3 of them before I got wildchild to make me a new one.

DownhillBill

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya....just did buddys steering post without touching engine mounts. PAIN!
Took carbs out (well just moved out of way didnt have to disconnect) took boots off, reids off to make as much room as possible. Undo the top of post first then work down to the bottom. Two bolts holding the mounting bracket to the frame, once that is off you can pull the post up a bit higher so you can get at the bolt attaching it to the steering arms. Pull the cotter pin out of main connecting bolt and it comes right out!
Putting it back together is a different story...having small hands is almost necessary to get those bottom two bolts in for the mounting bracket. Make sure you have long pliers or a telescopic magnet if you drop the bolts...
Hope this helps!
Just my :twocents: from experience!:d:beer::d

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
I had to re-install the "U" clamp that secures the post at the knuckle....

I managed to get at it with just removing the pipes only....

very tight area I lost some skin off my hands wrenching in there but managed.... I was affraid I was going to have to pull the motor as well which would have sucked because mine wasn't even the post jut the bolt had backed out and the "U" clamp had become deformed so I pulled it out bent it back into shape to line up with the bolt holes and tightened the crap out of it...

not something I would want to have to do often...

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks fo the help guys, I am going to giver a try tonight and see how my knuckles look tomorrow!

PowMower

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It sucks to do it without pulling the motor, but it can be done. If you undo the back 2 mounts, you can tip the motor a little which will help you get access to the bottom 2 bolts. You will have to pull the airbox, it helps if you pull the carbs off, don't have to disconnect them, but just pull them out of the boots into the rotary valve so that you can move them around.

Wildchild can make you a new one that is way stronger, I got mine for $180, and its 2" taller than stock. If you are using a riser on the stock one that is why it broke and it will just break again, I went through 3 of them before I got wildchild to make me a new one.

I would also highly suggest wildchilds

Top Bottom