Helmets

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In need of a new lid. Want somthing that could work for both mtbing in the summer and sledding in the winter. Don't mind spending some money to get somthing light and comfortable.

Are there any with removable liners? Want it to fit snug for summer but also able to wear a balaclava if it's cold out. Checked out the 509 altitude carbon and wasn't that impressed with the feel of it especially for the price.

Any suggestions? Also don't want to order online unless I can try one on some where.

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ive bought 10 different helmets trying to find something that would work for me. I finally found it in a Gyro DH mountain bike helmet. So insanely light you barely feel its on. Lots of venting which I need. My head gets hot and then my goggles fog up. Doesnt happen with the Gyro. Only way to go IMHO.

Lots of guys are going to talk about whether its dot approved.......but if its strong enough to protect your head from a downhill mountain bike crash into a tree, good enough.

DPike

Reaction score
Try Klim, I use there helmet for BMX racing in the summer and sledding in the winter.

AGGRESIVEZEBRA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got the 6D helmet and am using it from downhill to sledding. it is by far the most comfortable helmet ive had on my head. i work at a bike shop and can get many brands from TLD to FOX and i ended up paying retail for the 6D. i would give them a chance. i know they have a winter lining same as TLD. Riverside carrys them for sizing.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear Troy Lee Air's summer and winter. Great lids and can usually be found at a decent price if you aren't too picky about graphics. If i was to buy a new lid though i would be going with the 6D just for the added protection. I have had many concussions in my life wearing really good helmets and know that i wouldn't be alive without them so if a lid can give added protection i go that way.

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try a bunch of brands on and you will find which one fits your head the best. IMO you're wasting your time until you narrow them down first.
Fly fits me best so that's the brand I stick with. I've tried on several and stick with comfort first.

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wear a ccm pedal bike helmet,ultra lightweight and best of all it has a sun visor!as for goggles the choice is obvious speedo blue swimming goggles and nose plug gotta protect the vision at all costs!

Ccm bike helmet? You are joking right?

I wear a hard hat and gas station sunny's.

if it can stop a brick from cracking my head open, it should be alright for smashing my face off the bars going 80mph?

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting an ice cream pail and then spray foaming in between my head and the pail. That way you would have a perfect fit. If you wanted more protection just use a bigger pail. Be a good way to save some money too.

Chump

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Went and checked out a few more. Tried on the 6d some other fox helmets and finally decided on the airoh aviator 2.2. Can't wait to try it. Feels so much lighter and way more comfortable then the others.

Last edited:

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody try this helmet? Like how the goggles fit the front. 1250 g is pretty light. Also think a helmet with no visor would let the snow roll off easier on the deep days?

Attachments

• IMG_0162.jpg
    IMG_0162.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0165.jpg
    IMG_0165.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0166.jpg
    IMG_0166.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0164.jpg
    IMG_0164.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting an ice cream pail and then spray foaming in between my head and the pail. That way you would have a perfect fit. If you wanted more protection just use a bigger pail. Be a good way to save some money too.

If you went with a black five gallon pail you could build a brim and you'd have an Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter Hat. Remember to put your speedo swim goggles on first though!

lilduke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody try this helmet? Like how the goggles fit the front. 1250 g is pretty light. Also think a helmet with no visor would let the snow roll off easier on the deep days?

1250g is about 300-400g too heavy IMO. Lots of DOT 950g or less helmets around.

My visor got smashed off my helmet last season, didn't bother me but some say it looks funny. The old Mike Metzger look haha

mikey_685312.jpg

Last edited:

dgjordan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ccm bike helmet? You are joking right?

I wear a hard hat and gas station sunny's.

if it can stop a brick from cracking my head open, it should be alright for smashing my face off the bars going 80mph?

��������

Top Bottom