Helmet cams?

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for info on helmet cams. Which brand, storage capacity, battery or anything that I should know about before buying. Does anyone use these?:dunno:

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a helmet cam "twenty20" and I took it to the sony store and asked which video cam would work with this Sony DCR SR100HHD best cam in the world it does everything.........so I was told. $1000.00 on EBAY later my new video cam works great for taking videos ,just not with the helmet cam. Kid at Sony store must die..... if you buy a twenty20 let me now which recorder you use. I've been looking at PMP's but you can only buy them on line. And for me I need to hook it up and see it work before I buy this time.

tekim

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looking for info on helmet cams. Which brand, storage capacity, battery or anything that I should know about before buying. Does anyone use these?:dunno:

Of all that I have read about the helmet cams, you need a Camcorder that has an analog video input. The problem (like Overkill19 says) is finding one that has that. I know my Sony doesn't.:mad:

RaceCamera.com- Home of the Best Deals on Helmet Cameras

tekim:D

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A bunch of us on the Outlaw ATV Club website went with the atc2k webcam. They are dirt cheap(around 110 with shipping) and i thought would be worth a try. They are not here yet so I cannot post a review of them at this time.

Here is a link you can read through with some info posted:

There is another group buy going on so if your interested PM Clem about the details:

Lastly, they make a cold weather sleeve which we are in the process of doing a group buy on.

Hope this helps.

Steve

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i got a cam from skullcamz, comes with a 30 gb hard drive (archos 505) with screen, a rechargable power pack to run to cam, and all kinds of adapter & chargers. only drawback is mono sound , not stereo. it is a good start tho. the cam was bought though racecamera.com oh yeah look for a camera that has a low lux. twenty20 is coming out with one with memory for about $450, out around xmas time

Extreme Velocity

Supporting Vendors
Reaction score
steve (mitymo) at racecamera.com is the guy we get your helmet cams from...great product, good prices and excellent service.

TO

schoooled dweeb

Reaction score
I bought the Samsung SC-X300 / X300L

$550.00 at best buy.
It does 720 x 480 resolution (DVD quality)
Quick and simple to setup and has a remote on off for the weatherproof external camera. Oh yah, did I mention that its small!
Comes with a mount.
So far I'm impressed.
Chris

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been looking at the "archos" line up and would like one with 60-80 gig. Has anyone tried one of these?

rmk800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i haven't try a 60 g archos,but i do have a 30 g (MODEL 505) and i like it. you can stored movies, songs, pictures, and then look at them too.

Lococoin

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought the Samsung SC-X300 / X300L

$550.00 at best buy.
It does 720 x 480 resolution (DVD quality)
Quick and simple to setup and has a remote on off for the weatherproof external camera. Oh yah, did I mention that its small!
Comes with a mount.
So far I'm impressed.
Chris

by mount do you mean one that you can attach to your helmet or just a generic mount? Do you have a picture of the entire setup?

Thanks

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i haven't try a 60 g archos,but i do have a 30 g (MODEL 505) and i like it. you can stored movies, songs, pictures, and then look at them too.

How much record time do you get with 30 gig. Also how is your battery life, can your get spare batteries?

schoooled dweeb

Reaction score
The Samsung comes with a mount that may go on your goggle stap.
I used velcro and attached it to my street bike helmet.
On the bottom on the external camera there is a threaded screw that is the same type of thread that is used for camera tripods.
The external camera is then screwed into the google strap mount.
view mount
Click on GETTING TO KNOW YOUR CAMCORDER
Scroll down 2/3 of the page
Its a rubber mount that has slots in it to allow for 2 different sizes of rubber straps. They also give you one. Check out the list of items included in the box also on that page.
Chris

Last edited:

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have had a helmetcamera.com cam for a couple of years now. It works really well and has an indestructible aluminum housing. I use it with my Canon ZR45 camera. It's old now but still works and still takes great video. The camera uses a DV tape and has a Lanc input. The lanc button is a great feature. You control record, pause, on and off with one button while the camera stays in your backpack. The good part about using a full dv camcorder is there is no loss of video quality and it's easy to swap tapes when they're full. The downside is the added weight. The helmetcamera cam needs a 12v power supply. That's more weight. The downside to the mini recording devices and hard drive camcorders is - once it's full you need somewhere to download the video to in order to use again. Also, the video is compressed to fit and you lose quality. Not bad if you plan on playing everything on youtube.

I bought a twenty20 helmet camera this year because it only needs a small 9v battery for power. A little weight loss on my back is good and the quality will be even better as far as color and clarity. I also picked up a polarizing filter for the camera itself to reduce some glare and hopefully get better color on the snow.

A lot of the new cameras do not have the analog input/output or the lanc input. I thought about upgrading the camera to the new Canon HD 20 camcorder this year but realized - what's the point? I can't burn HD dvds.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey there guy's.. I just thought that i'd let you know that Specialty sleds is selling POV( point of view) Helmet cams now.. They are sweet.. They come with everything you need.. As well theyt have a wireless remote that you can velcro to your handle bars to start and stop recording.. And all the cord to hook it up to a comp or tv, And alot of other good stuff.. If you want more info Give ken a call at the shop (780451-1130. He'll be back on sat night.. If you stop by the shop he can give you a sample as he has one that he uses.. And we can't seem to get enough of them.. they sell for about 1000.00 in the US, and we are selling them for like 800.00 i think( not totally sure on that).. But you can view what you record when your on the hill on the lcd screen on the main unit, which seems to built really tough and fairly small....

Top Bottom