Heli down, pilot injured

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Pilot injured after helicopter carrying 10 people goes down in central B.C.
at 6:54 on March 23, 2010, EDT.
THE CANADIAN PRESS
Share|ALEXIS CREEK, B.C. - Police aren't saying much after a helicopter crash in central B.C.

RCMP Const. Craig Douglass says the chopper carrying 10 people went down while on its way to a heli-skiing site near Alexis Creek, 100 kilometres west of Williams Lake, Monday afternoon.

Douglass says only the pilot suffered injuries and the rest of the chopper's occupants were safely evacuated by charter provider White Saddle Air.

Douglass says police don't know know why the helicopter went down, how far it might have fallen or the extent of the pilot's injuries.

The Transportation Safety Board will lead the investigation into the incident.

Didn't really know the best place to post so I took the forum with the most traffic. Just to show that sh*t happens and a higher power was obviously in control! It is amazing just one was injured. Sorry, but that is all the information I have at this time.

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
looks like karma is rearing its ugly head on the heli industry after jumping down our throats. How can an industry with so many regulations in place have 2 accidents so close together. Blame weigle for all heli ski accidents,he brought on the karma.

Rescue Pilot

Reaction score
looks like karma is rearing its ugly head on the heli industry after jumping down our throats. How can an industry with so many regulations in place have 2 accidents so close together. Blame weigle for all heli ski accidents,he brought on the karma.

Team Dirt, the "Heli Industry" never jumped down your throats, MIKE WEIGGLE DID.

Actually, the Heli-Ski Industry in Revelstoke only helped out, and offered no press conferences or comments slamming sleds. We don't lump all Sledders as High-Marking avalanche causing extremists, why are you lumping all Helis into what Mike Weiggle says?

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Team Dirt, the "Heli Industry" never jumped down your throats, MIKE WEIGGLE DID.

Actually, the Heli-Ski Industry in Revelstoke only helped out, and offered no press conferences or comments slamming sleds. We don't lump all Sledders as High-Marking avalanche causing extremists, why are you lumping all Helis into what Mike Weiggle says?

Well said Rescue pilot, the heli's are always a sledders best friend,weiggle not so much. The pilots and ground crews battle the odds every day through intense dillegence and training. If karma had anything to do with it a chopper would never fall from the sky and weiggle would slip and fall down the stairs

*xo*

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear something potentially fatal turned out on the brighter side.

There seems to be a lot of incidents coming up in the last little while...
Be careful everyone, mother nature is unpredictable!!;)

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well said Rescue pilot, the heli's are always a sledders best friend,weiggle not so much. The pilots and ground crews battle the odds every day through intense dillegence and training. If karma had anything to do with it a chopper would never fall from the sky and weiggle would slip and fall down the stairs

I would be OK with a body slamming shove:d

badmonkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I for one will say it is nice having you on this site, Safe flying:)

wide_open

Reaction score
To anybody in the heli industry/human race in general, please let me apologize for this idiot.

fnDan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just watched a program where a heli pilot practiced a recovery from a stall. Heli pilots must have a set of stainless steel boys. Fly safe cause I hope to take a ride one day... planned and for fun!
Good to hear this wasn't worse.

Rescue Pilot

Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but hearing about Weiggle slamming Sleds publically makes me sick ! I never heard or saw the TV clip, but it truly shows this guys character. He has killed people in Avalanches and Helicopter crashes in the past, so not sure why he thinks he is better than anyone else in the mountains now.

CMH ( and NO, I don't work for them ) plus Selkirk Tangiers, Eagle Pass HeliSkiing has been supportive, and quiet, as they know that they live and Ski in the same mountains as you guys sled.
Yes, Sheite does happen, and it can happen to anyone on skis, sleds, vehicles, snowshoes, whatever.

It's a very tricky snowpack this year, and it's not following many common rules as to layers, triggers. What had been skiied or sledded by serval times by several groups seems to slide BIG without warning? Even seasoned Heli-Ski Guides are getting caught, it's totally unpredictable. The only safe thing to do is not take chances with this snowpack, there will be better years to ski or sled.
I dealt with a bunch of Sleds on the weekend, and everyone was playing safe and cool, great to see :)

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
THANKS RESCUE PILOT great coments ^^^^^^

to all the bashers can we stop all this blaming please,, theese Heli's save so many different people and they drop everything to do so,, I had one pilot come out in Revy on Fathers day around dinner time most peeps would say see ya tomorrow,,, so the pilot puts off dinner to come fetch our sled from the deeps,,,

as well skiers are not to blame or call out,,, its the business owner being difficult many of my friends ski and so do I, I would respect the fact that theese skiers pay big bucks like us to do what they love.

p.s. hey Rescue did you pick up a black arctic sunday morning???? back in Gorman?? if so thanks for the help:beer:

RANDOM 051.jpg

Rescue Pilot

Reaction score
Yes, JoHNI_T it was me.
We try and help, we have a business to run, but if we can find your sled quickly, and it's in a good safe landing area, we can cut the flying time/price. It helped to have found it on that other medical gig on Saturday ( PS- It wasn't hidden very well ! :) )

Glad to help out, and if I'm lying up in one of those Bowls, looking like I need help, I know that I can count on you guys helping !

2manykids

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have made a few coments about Heli/pilots and copers. I hope that none were taken for anything more than a laugh. I have worked with many of them, and they are guys and gals just like us.
Although if you think you can one up a pilot just want till they are looking out a bubble with a hole. Dont look up they might accidently drop chicken bones on you. The best and probley only way to get a pilot is sing them the barney song they love that:beer:

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, JoHNI_T it was me.
We try and help, we have a business to run, but if we can find your sled quickly, and it's in a good safe landing area, we can cut the flying time/price. It helped to have found it on that other medical gig on Saturday ( PS- It wasn't hidden very well ! :) )

Glad to help out, and if I'm lying up in one of those Bowls, looking like I need help, I know that I can count on you guys helping !

thanks we appreciate the help,, I would love to be a pilot,, if you need someone to go on a tour just let me know be awesome to see everything from above....:beer:

p.s. you dont think we hid the sled very well lol,, what about the lil evrgreen covering the tail light that was slick.... I dragged that thing about 5km to get it were it sat, we were up near the guys you grabbed saturday...

p.p.s. did Justin get a t-shirt? do you guys give t shirts or is that a while back in revy?

Polarblu

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but hearing about Weiggle slamming Sleds publically makes me sick ! I never heard or saw the TV clip, but it truly shows this guys character. He has killed people in Avalanches and Helicopter crashes in the past, so not sure why he thinks he is better than anyone else in the mountains now.

CMH ( and NO, I don't work for them ) plus Selkirk Tangiers, Eagle Pass HeliSkiing has been supportive, and quiet, as they know that they live and Ski in the same mountains as you guys sled.
Yes, Sheite does happen, and it can happen to anyone on skis, sleds, vehicles, snowshoes, whatever.

It's a very tricky snowpack this year, and it's not following many common rules as to layers, triggers. What had been skiied or sledded by serval times by several groups seems to slide BIG without warning? Even seasoned Heli-Ski Guides are getting caught, it's totally unpredictable. The only safe thing to do is not take chances with this snowpack, there will be better years to ski or sled.
I dealt with a bunch of Sleds on the weekend, and everyone was playing safe and cool, great to see :)

You are a true Mountain person. Thank you for your posts!!

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca

I never meant it like that,funny how things end up out of context. sorry if I offended you. I know the heli industry helps out lots. It was weigle who i was poking at as in my last sentence.SORRY!!!

team dirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.sledseymourarm.ca
To anybody in the heli industry/human race in general, please let me apologize for this idiot.

Hey thanks for the bash, Im sure all the people i've helped over the years would probably agree with you. Mabey it the idiots like me that are out there dealing with the goverment almost on a daily basis now trying desperatly to keep some riding area open are the reason we seem to be losing. U dont know me, watch what you say about people, I meant no disrespect to anyone who flys a chopper or the whole industry in general. I was making a poke at weigle and now that i read my post I can see where it can be taken the wrong way and i am sorry for that. Anyone on this site who knows me or has rode with me knows that i would give you the coat off my back to help out. I can really see now how the media can take something that has been said and turn it into something that was not meant at all. April 14th I will be sitting down with some bioligists from the BC government to battle some more caribou closures in the North Shuswaps,maybe you can join me and give some words of wisdom since I seem to be such an Idiot.

Top Bottom