Heckuva deal....if'n you're a Yankee

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We are getting rid of the last of the SkiDoo 154 XP 800s........$8799 plus tax and license...contact Frank at I-90 Motorsports, Issaquah, WA......425-391-4490
(Posted on SW this A.M.)

dieselmech_22

Reaction score
has anyone had any luck buyin out of the states, I have been trying to get some info in regards to it. I have found a few places that will sell them to a canadian but you lose the warranty. Anyone have some more info on this?

JoHNI_T

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
has anyone had any luck buyin out of the states, I have been trying to get some info in regards to it. I have found a few places that will sell them to a canadian but you lose the warranty. Anyone have some more info on this?

every manufacturer has different policies, always check with the manufacturuer first and BRP is being kinda tuff on people is what i heard.
and ya want warranty on those new XPs for sure
and check with the canadian government on what fees and taxes are required, all this has to be set up with the border before you show up.
ask summitric he just brought over a used trailor he should have the contacts for the government stuff anyway.
good luck just do your homework

dieselmech_22

Reaction score
I have bought things out of the states before, and know all the government stuff pretty well, but the manufacturers all have different polocies and all the dealers in the sates have different stories. Hoping someone can pass along the truth!

summitron

Reaction score
Thats a pretty good deal, If you buy one and it breaks, use the 4 grand you saved to get it fixed. My stuff always seems to make it through the warranty period with nothing major, just minor stuff. It still has warranty in the U.S. so if something major breaks head to montana get it fixed then head to the mountains down there for something different. I've heard there's some good riding around Kalispell.

Shibby!

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'd check with BRP. I think 2008's+ are not allowed to be imported. Check with RIV as well.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this works for the Doo line. If their warranty is transferable talk to the Dealer down there and find out if he knows someone that would like to make a couple of bucks. Put the sled in his name and buy from him as used. No tax to pay and I think no duty, just the GST.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this works for the Doo line. If their warranty is transferable talk to the Dealer down there and find out if he knows someone that would like to make a couple of bucks. Put the sled in his name and buy from him as used. No tax to pay and I think no duty, just the GST.
I've heard of this being tried before, but I don't know if this is true or not, doesn't the vehicle have to have a certain amount or miles or be registered for a certain period of time before it's classified as a used unit?

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 3 trucks we bought had been registered and had 350 to 500 miles on them. Considered used for import purpose. GST only and the warranty from Ford was transferred. Almost sure it works for rec. veh. Have someone checking for me as that is a hot price on XP.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got mine from North Dakota. I'll be taking it to an Edmonton area dealership for the 10 hr service and any warrany updates. I'll post a note if I have any problems with warranty, but I was told by the dealer that it is no problem. the key is that my sled was sold first to an american, who then immediately sold it to a Canadian as used with 0kms. The import was no big deal, just 72 hours notice at the border and pay the GST.

162SKIDOO

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
same idea....just have someone you no down south buy it then have it transferred here....no problemo. all warrany is avbailable as long as it was originally purchased by an american.

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
I got mine from North Dakota. I'll be taking it to an Edmonton area dealership for the 10 hr service and any warrany updates. I'll post a note if I have any problems with warranty, but I was told by the dealer that it is no problem. the key is that my sled was sold first to an american, who then immediately sold it to a Canadian as used with 0kms. The import was no big deal, just 72 hours notice at the border and pay the GST.

LET ME BE THE FIRST TO WELCOME YOU ABOARD, MRFRIDAY.... I THINK YOU'LL FIND THIS SITE ADDICTING.... RON HAS SUBLIMINAL MESSAGES SUCKING EVERYONE INTO THE SITE AND STAYING ON, UNLESS YOU WHERE THE TINFOIL CONES LIKE I DOO..... LOL

AJW

Reaction score
I have brought an '08 146" XP from the US. All thats required at the border is the ceritificate of origin of the snowmobile. This needs to be faxed 72 hours prior to you trying to import the vehicle and GST is charged at the border. The sled was new and all that was required was a US address and proof of the address (phone bill etc...).

The sled was new and you save on average $3000. DO NOT take the US dealers word for it that there is warranty in Canada for US sleds. Its not true. No one in Edmonton will warranty any work on my sled because BRP will not pay the dealer for the work done. Recall work is different, they have to do it because its a safety issue. Go figure.

However you can do an awful lot of work for $3000 and in my opinion warranty is totally over-rated anyways. Unless you completely crater your machine you're better off fixing it yourself anyways.

So in short.... NO warrany, certificate of origin faxed to border crossing, eventually you'll need a Recall Letter from BRP available at the dealers or call BRP for it and the RIV fee. Check RIV.ca for full details.

Its totally worth it in my opinion but you need access to someone with a US address and proof of the address.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far the warranty is transferring to me no problem. The one problem that appears to be happening is that the "campaigns", or updates that BRP lists for each VIN number is not appearing in the computer. This means that according to the VIN, there are no updates to complete. If you look at where my VIN fits in the series, I should have at least two updates: the hot grips and the fuel tank. Both are working fine, but for how long?

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No warranty and no way around it. BRP has told me that they will be changing their documentation to limit the warranty further.

If it's an american sled, take it to the states if you need warranty. Otherwise use the money you saved to pay for the work. Thank God mine did not require any udates other than gearing.

MrMorgan

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't have been a problem if this wasn't the first production year. I wouldn't think twice about buying my 2005 without warranty, it was bulletproof.

Oh well. I'm still ahead even if I do spend some of what I saved on updates.

Top Bottom