Handheld GPS Units

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a handheld GPS unit but having trouble finding reviews or "compare" articles. I do want a higher end unit with Sat Photography and color....
Am looking at this Bushnell Unit ONIX 350...

Any experiences good/bad would be appreciated.

Cheers!

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You could look at the Garmin 520 or 530 csx or cx.I have the 520 and it is a awsome unit!
Go to GPS Central and you can compare different models!
catmando!

CdnWrangler

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a 120 Garmin... it works great....

I am in the market for a handheld GPS unit but having trouble finding reviews or "compare" articles. I do want a higher end unit with Sat Photography and color....
Am looking at this Bushnell Unit ONIX 350...

Any experiences good/bad would be appreciated.

Cheers!

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
DeLorme Mapping sells one, the Earthmate PN-20, that you can get Satellite, aerial, , etc. For around $400 + /- depending on what you get with it.
Check out this website & go from there.

I have their mapping program (Topo 7.0) & really like it.

Gunny

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually, I have a Garmin GPS V (5) & I'm very happy with it. However, shmole, was ask'in about one with Satellite capabilities, so I mentioned that PN-20. I'm sure there are others.
My brother has an e-trex like yourself, Caper11 & they are very good GPS's.
Just depends on how much shmole wants to spend.

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
LOL....Oh, I didn't know about the "satellite" component. Is that something that is useful? Are you talking about the Sat Imagery....then yes, I think that would really come in handy. Thoughts?

I can get the Bushnell 350 for about $322.00. This seemed like the best value for money. Was looking at a $200-300 Budget, but of course if there is a unit that I will enjoy using more...and it is a little more $$$....so be it. I just want to make sure I get a unit that I will be happy with, and not want to upgrade in 1 year because "I should've" or "I wish it did this...".

Thanks https://www.snowandmud.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got the Rino 520Hcx, I was going to get the 530 but it was taking to long to come in. I got the US rino with the higher wattage. I like having the radio and Gps built into one unit. The 520 or the 530 has lots of nice features. The 530 has a electronic compass and a weather thingy which the 520 doesn`t.

catmando

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the 520 american version too and you get like 14 miles on the flats and it veries in the mountains but you get more than you need and you can keep track of your buddies!
catmando!

4extreme

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 120 is similar to what you've got Catmando....
I have the 120 also(canadian version), I`ve notice the 120 will loose the signal faster in the mountains. It would also lose it in my garage where the 520 doesn`t. The screen is bigger on the 520 so you can zoom in more and still have as much detail as the 120.

senorjeem

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife and both have Rhino's that we got with our sleds. After 2 years her unit shuts off every time you try to transmit, and my radio stopped working completely. All of the other guys that we ride with that use them are nearly impossible to understand when the beller into them as well. I really like having the ability to find my contacts with the gps, as you can with the Rhino, but being able to communicate is more important to me, so we buy a new set of FRS radios every couple of years at $70 a set, and gave up on the Rhino's.

shmole

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The two way radio aspect of the RINO's is attractive. I have a set of Canadian Tire radios that do not reach more than 100yds from the campsite....:(

Top Bottom