Gvwr

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an 05 F250 diesel and I am trying to figure out what the max I can pull for a fifth wheel is. My sticker in the door says 10 000 which doesnt seem right cause my GMC 2500 was 12 500. So I looked up a chart on google which told me I have a gross vehicle combination wheight of 20 000 and the truck weighs 6500 so does that mean 13 500 is my limit? Then they have a fifth wheel capacity wheight on this chart and it says 17000lbs!! So confused. Just wondering if anyone out there can explain what I am reading or tell me what it actuall is.

Next question if I install air bags does this increase the GVWR??

Thanks for the help guys!

Attachments

• 05 GVW specs.pdf
    837.3 KB · Views: 91

Jake

Reaction score
GVWR is not what you should be looking at. Check the CVWR (combined vehicle weight rating), subtract the scaled weight of the truck and thats how heavy a trailer you can haul. No, air bags do not increase the GVWR.

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok so I just re checked the numbers and the CVWR is 23000 lbs and the truck weighs 6500 that means I can safely pull a max of 16 500 LBS right? so here is the big question I am looking into a toy hauler and they are trying to sell me a tandem axel trailer because the rule of thumb as they say is the truck and trailer should have the same amount of tires!? And I didnt think that sounded right! So if I buy a trailer that weighs 11500 LBS and put a rhino in it 1200LBS which is 12 700 and fill the fuel tanks 1000 LBS I should be legal to pull that on the highway!!

barefooter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
PZiZZ

You also have to make sure you don"t exceed your gross vehicle weight rating. You have to remember your pin weight on the trailer. At a rough estimate of 10% to 12% of gross trailer weight, you will be overloaded on a 250 without passengers, fuel etc.

I got this off of Mr. Truck. Best explaination I ever found.

Airbags will not increase your GVWR or your weight rating. They will just keep the truck suspension level. The only way to do this is with springs and frame modifications. And this will not do it "legally" - you have to get your truck re-rated which is a whole other level of heartburn.

Last edited:

Jake

Reaction score
Good link. None of the weight ratings can be exceeded, these are the weights on the door sticker on that vehicle, not the brochure or website.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
like barefooter said pain in the azz to get gvw increased as you have to have a national safety certification as well as apply to ford,in this case, with your intended susp. mods to increase then they will decide if they will give you higher gvw. if you are looking at getting a toyhauler fifth wheel over 28ft i wouldn't buy anything but a tri axle. if you look at any tandem camper over that length you are nearly maxed out with just the unit empty once you add water, propane and gear your probably going to be over weight.

magnet

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and as for the rule of thumb bs they are sayin i would find a different dealer. ask him why they make tri axle travel trailers then. or better yet single axle travel trailers.:eek:

shawnmcgr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and as for the rule of thumb bs they are sayin i would find a different dealer. ask him why they make tri axle travel trailers then. or better yet single axle travel trailers.:eek:

Ditto on find another dealer or at least a knowledgeable salesman at the dealer your at. As soon as I heard that out of his month I'd a told him to walk unless I was laughing to hard to talk. Is he selling Harleys to pull all his single axle trailers?

that there is a beauty rule of thumb....I'm gunna use that!

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A f250 diesel weights 6500 lbs? I'd like to know what scale your using! You off by a good 1000lbs i'm pretty sure.

Gvw, gvwr, all get extremely confusing. You want 10-15% pin weight on a bumper pull, 15-25% on a gooseneck/5th wheel generally. Techinically you are legal if your truck axles aren't overloaded with a trailer, even if it weight's 20,000lbs, if your truck can take 4,000lbs pin weight or so your legal.

Also, many times the limiting factor to your axle capacity is your tires, the axle itself is good for more. Something to look into if your a little shy on weight. Some trucks srw and drw use the same axle, and if you get heavier tires can haul quite a bit more. And many times, the only different between a 3/4 and 1 ton is a set of overloads in the rear.

And just a note, LEGALLY a 1 ton single wheel can pull more then a dually, because it is lighter.

Just curious, what should you use if your trailer is a tandem duallys? I haven't seen to many trucks with 8 tires.

Last edited:

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK now im getting confused again! HAHA The specs on my truck state that it is 6500 curb weight wich includes fuel and pasengers I have never checked it out but I was going by my spec sheet. My tires are load rated E whatever that means and as I said before I have air bags not overload springs. So how would I figure out what kinda weight I can go wit for the new trailer? Thanks for the input guys it has been helpful!!

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
sorry I was wrong about the curb weight here is the definition

Base Curb Weight: the empty weight of a vehicle including all standard equipment, 150# driver and a full tank of fuel. Does not include cargo, options or passengers.

base curb weight

F-250/F-350 Base Curb Weight (lbs)
Crew Cab
6.75 ft
4x4
F-250 6,538

medler

I love guns
Reaction score
sorry I was wrong about the curb weight here is the definition

Base Curb Weight: the empty weight of a vehicle including all standard equipment, 150# driver and a full tank of fuel. Does not include cargo, options or passengers.

base curb weight

F-250/F-350 Base Curb Weight (lbs)
Crew Cab
6.75 ft
4x4
F-250 6,538

That tare weight or curb weight has got to be wrong ,,,,,,My 3/4 ton cc GAS weighs 6127lbs w/o me in it and 1/4 tank of fuel.Best bet is to go to the scales,,they don't mind at all..

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be hitting the scales up tomorrow on my way home from work!!

van isle

Reaction score
That tare weight or curb weight has got to be wrong ,,,,,,My 3/4 ton cc GAS weighs 6127lbs w/o me in it and 1/4 tank of fuel.Best bet is to go to the scales,,they don't mind at all..

The weight he is quoting does not include any options at all just a bare bones truck nor any accessories even mud, drit, under coating, box liner nothing is icluded on that weight.

steven2120

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Alright im a complete idiot when it comes to weight and knowing what im able to tow. I have an 07 Dodge Power Wagon and im looking at buying a trailer but im totally confused on all the weights. Can anyone help?

z400

Reaction score
in your book it will have an allowable tow limit and that is what you can tow "legaly" but like it was said before all the running gear on a 3/4 ton to a 1 ton is basically the same it just what the manufactuer set the limit at. so it up to you what you feel comfertable pulling (brakes are the limiting factor imop)

Top Bottom