Grizzly clutch kit mistake is costly one

Major

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well I did it this time. I did a few upgrades or downgrades so far. I put on a Dr. D pipe and k&n filter. Decided to do a clutch kit as well on my 660 grizzly. For all thoses that some day decide to do a kit as well, make sure you torque to proper specs. The nut that holds the primary clutch and all the goodies on, backed off about 1/4 inch and jammed against the wet clutch housing where the one way bearing goes. There is a small roller bearing in there and a snap ring. The nut jammed againts the snap ring and thank god the nut is soft metal. It jammed enough that the clutch would not disengage. and every time I stopped it would stall the quad. Now I am out in the back 40 and cant stop. Great fun that was trying to open gates on the fly. Actually I had a buddy there as well that was ahead getting gates. Long story short, the grizz is at the machine shop this morning getting the crank shaft threads cleaned up and a new nut built if Yamaha doesnt have one. The moral of the story is torque and maybe some lock tight. I hope this never happens to anyone else.

Major

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Why no lock tight? I have the new nut but am still having trouble getting it on. May have to machine the threads some more. Once it is on I will never take it off in the life of this machine.

Major

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well the ol grizzly is back in action. for now. the real test will be this weekend. total cost 370 quid. and three days of frustration and beer drinking. and ordering parts from Toronto. I have to give a hats off to the guys at Red Deer powersports. Got me a part that would take my local dealer no less than a month. Had er over night and all put together tonight and the test run up and down the alley seemed to be 100 percent, maybe better. I hope the weather is warm and the beers and rums are cold for all this weekend :beer:

Top Bottom