Great day to be a hockey dad!!

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well after being involved in Hockey in one way or another my entire life, i have to say today was a great day to be in the bleachers watching my son and his team play. Playing as a goaltender for the better part of 20 years, and working through the ranks to major juniors i realized the amount of mental strain, and focus it takes to acheive this level of play. Now i get to watch my son suffer through the challanges of it as well, as he plays the same position. Throughout the weekend we played through the games, with a loss in our opener. Kiddo played the second game and pulled off a convincing 10-3 win, although he wasnt tested very often in this match. Today was a different story, the email came at about 9:30 pm last night that he had finished 3rd in the tournement, and that the team would be playing for the B-pool final. Leduc was to be their matchup. Before the game while walking into the arena i reminded him," focus on your job, and what your their to do" , that and good luck was all that was said. the game lead bounced back and forth for a while and then setteled down in the 3rd period with about 4 minutes left tied 6-6. ........ Chit ref calls to penalties against us, so its a 5 on 3 for 2 min, and a 5 on 4 for 2 min because of the double minor. This is when things got a bit hairy, leduc came at the net hard, and often, bodies flying, sticks, everywhere, kiddo lost his own in the process... and i thought this cant be good, 5 close range shots, and a crossbar, but nothing got by him. 60 minutes of play and the game was tied 6-6 still, so tournement rules state 4 on 4 for 1 min, then 3 on 3 for a minute, and so on. Kiddos team had the advantage going into the 4 on 4 challenge as leduc took a penalty with 1 minute left in regulation time, so they played 4 on 3 , and couldnt find the twine. leduc managed a couple shots on goal, but no dice. ... 3 on 3 solved nothing a couple shots on goal each, 2 on 2 and the nailbiting began, a fancy little move by one of our smallest forwards, and off to the races on a 2 on 1 where the game finally ended. A finish of emotions, and cheers, and a big hell yeah from me watching my boy perform to the best of his abilities, and focusing on the task at hand.... Chance favours a prepared mind............a little something Grant Fuhr told me one blustery morning in the early 80's just prior them ending the Islanders dynasty years.

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
001.jpg

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, pretty proud of him thus far, and yeah Hes coming along pretty good on the machine too

sunshinesmiles

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Apparently Hayden's Assistant Principal was the coach of the Leduc Team..................was telling Hayden today he was very impressed with the Goal Tending he did !!!

storm1972

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
heh heh thanks, but will keep my day job for the time being

Top Bottom