Grande Cache Trip

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Came back from our trip to Grande Cache, had the best weather ever! Great Quadding and lots to see. Thanks to Teeroy and AB Ranger for their advice. The area to the north at Beaverdam road still has plenty of trails to offer. We did the Mt Hammel trip without realizing it. Not for newbies by any means. Rolled the quad on its side as the trail is washed out big time. We tried to get to the La Peche lake trail but the bridges are all washed out so you have to go through the mill yard and use their bridges to get to it. Pierres Grey is a very nice campsite but the wood is board ends. We found a slash pile to get some decent wood. We found about 5 areas for random camping that are not too bad at all. However the areas around the Mt Hammel trail from the Highway was a giant mud pit. Am looking forward to go again next year. NOTE: you cannot ride out of the park.

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, very nice area. You can count me in next year! ...I'll be sure to bring lots of spare parts this time.

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Oh ADDENDUM: be advised that riding through the long grass at the side of the dirt road is not recommended what so ever, as tested by the chief tester - Whodeanie-!!!!!!

whoDEANie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We managed to make it round agan but cracked the rim in the process, so there was no way we culd get it to hold air.
20130622_160120.jpg

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok Tyler here are a couple but I put the rest on FB
Great View.jpg ch!t.jpg Splashing.jpg
The first is the View from the beginning of Mount Hammel Trail, the second is further up the top where it is getting really sketchy and the last is the overflowed creek to splash in.

Last edited:

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My tires go over rocks.

Guess urs don't.

sent from my I phone azz kicking HTC

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah, the deep grass is not the place to be. a couple years ago my buddy unloaded his brand new Robby Gordon edition rzr 4 and let his kid take it for a spin. he was back in camp ten minutes later with the front left corner terribly bent. stroked a big rock, machine didn't even have an hour on it.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
did you manage to get up to the top of hammel? pretty awesome view from up there. those washouts are pretty tricky on a quad....lol. there is a section that is all huge marbles on a pretty steep grade, from softball size to basketball size....good challenge on a 2 wheeler

kbrunlees

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to the top but then again not really sure as we followed backwards the Mt Hammel trail. I think there is a tee intersection that we should have taken but we turned left and went back to the Beaverdam road.
We will be back next year I am sure armed with some more maps etc. Enjoyed the area a lot.

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to here you had a good trip! I was up there last fall hunting and thought that it would be sweet to go for a trip up there.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not to the top but then again not really sure as we followed backwards the Mt Hammel trail. I think there is a tee intersection that we should have taken but we turned left and went back to the Beaverdam road.
We will be back next year I am sure armed with some more maps etc. Enjoyed the area a lot.
if you come from Beaverdam to the Hammel trail you hit a T....left goes to the top and right will take you down to the flats. you must have hung a left if you were going up and went to Beaverdam Rd, there is usually ribbons on the trees at that spot to mark the Death Race course. you were past the worst of it for sure, the rest of the way up is pretty decent once you pass the big washout, one crazy hairpin with another washout after that but it's not bad.

nast70

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go for a few days next year count us in too! Now I have a 4x4 and don't need Keith to tow my rig the last few 100 yards to the camp Site!
Testing the whole shebang at Christina Lake next week. See how that new Ford snorts with 10000lbs on her back!

Top Bottom