Good Starting Place

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
which place will the best to start at.I have never rode the mountains so looking for some feedback on which place is the best for a beginner.Not really into highmarking just wanna play in the powder.Thanks

gumbylee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
which place will the best to start at.I have never rode the mountains so looking for some feedback on which place is the best for a beginner.Not really into highmarking just wanna play in the powder.Thanks

depends on how comfortable you are on a sled...all 3 places in mcbride are good.bell is the smallest and the easiest to ride.lucille is good too,close to town and short trail up.renshaw,imo,is the best 30 minute truck ride from town,28 km trail ride....but once up top,it is as good as it gets....good mix for all abilities

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I say go to Bell for sure the first day hands down. They have alot of decent slopes for practicing deep powder riding for beginners/intermediate and then take it from there at the end of the day and decide if you want to try Renshaw the next day. I find Lucille is mostly climbing and you said you didnt want to climb however Lucille is extremely convienient from town.

gumbylee

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just be carefull of the parking lot at bell....a couple of guys had issues last weekend with the ice and their trucks.....it might be better by now though....anybody know for sure? cheers

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There's plenty enough snow here now so a person can just park at the lower parking lot..

1tonofun

Reaction score
Recomend bell for the first day,drive west fro mcbride on 16,approx 10 min.well marked,
also advise to park at lower lot,I have had the pleasure in years past of my trailer towing me down the icy hill.Cabin at bell is very nice,easy alpine access and lower meadows alot
of fun for new riders.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I take it you have experienced riding partners to take you? All three areas in mcbride IMO are good for new mountain riders by staying close to the cabins, I think renshaw is a better option. You can play around the cabin and your riding partners have hills to climb, and you can play in a group while in a larger area.
But communiate with your group, ask questions if they start talking about going to a certain area, quiz them on how technical it might be, And don't forget a beacon, probe and shovel.
And most importantly enjoy the white gold rush!!!:beer:

RUDY

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually my bro has only been in the ,mountains once and the rest of us have never been up there,be new to pretty much all of us.
No of us are crazy dare devils,and won't be looking for the highest mountain.We wanna go up there play in the powder seen what it's all about and gain some experience up there for the future.
Be great to have an experienced guy with us to show us a few things and what to watch for,but we will all be alert.
I told all the guys beacons are a MUST,and i have a GPS just incase.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Might be well worth your money to look at hiring a guide for a day, they can kinda show you around a bit..

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What are the sleds that you will be taking ?
with some ditch bangers you would get to far.
your M7 will do just fine

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A buddy and I were looking at going up the first weekend in Feb(never ride alone).
But I will talk with him and see if he is set on that weekend.
We have visited Mcbride quite often over the last 5 years or so and we know the area reasonably well. My Buddy rides a 08 Summit 159" I think, he just got it last year (I tease him all the time about it) I ride a 05 King Cat 162". We enjoy Mcbride and the people that we have met over the years are GREAT. We are powder hounds and enjoy the good hill once in a while. If we are going to be up there during the same time as you guys. We would be willing to show you around.. As that's how we started out and found everyone SO helpful and would be happy to pass along the favor !! But if your heart is set on paying for a guide, then I am sure that you would not be dissapointed with the area !!

Powertool29

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry, we are heading up Feb 5~7th.. But I am sure there won't be a short suppy of guys and gals that can point you in the right direction, all you need to do is ask, you won't go wrong with McBride !! The town of McBride have proven how they can come together for the betterment of someone else.. Even for some stranded horses !!

Top Bottom