Gen 4 to gen 5 changes

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm a doo guy but the gen 4 was a terrible design - do a top end in one with the bottom end in the chassis and you will see - the ground strap on mag side of the jug and the wire harness mounted to the side of the jug and the motor mount there too - what a terrible design - they shoulda pumped out the gen5 in 2018 imo - the insulation under the pipe shroud should be infused with octane because it all ends up in the motor - the gen4 tracks imo are not nearly strong enough - every ad I'm coming across for an 850 for sale says it's had a new motor put in it - pull cord system is junk - raves leak all the time - shot start or stator usually f*cks up - my xm isn't as light or nimble but at least it's construction grade - I'm gonna be the old guy runnin old iron because the new just sh*t isn't nearly tuff enuff - end rant

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does the pipe insulation end up in the motor? It’s a sealed system and exhaust flow is directed out of the machine? I have been in the industry for over 45 years and have never seen pipe insulation in a motor that was tore down.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How does the pipe insulation end up in the motor? It’s a sealed system and exhaust flow is directed out of the machine? I have been in the industry for over 45 years and have never seen pipe insulation in a motor that was tore down.
I've got one tore down and the "pipe insulation" not "muffler insulation" it's everywhere - it's not a 100% sealed air system - once it gets choked off it'll find its way in - take the time and go through all the 850 sleds for sale right now and get a percentage of them with new motors

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The motor mount changes for the gen5 is because they finally realized how stupid they were with the gen4 motor mount design

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got one tore down and the "pipe insulation" not "muffler insulation" it's everywhere - it's not a 100% sealed air system - once it gets choked off it'll find its way in - take the time and go through all the 850 sleds for sale right now and get a percentage of them with new motors
Ok please define pipe insulation? If it isn’t the asbestos cloth then are you talking the aluminum shroud? There is no insulation inside the pipe.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the pink panther thats black panther under the aluminum pipe shroud - it holds water and rots your pipe also - terrible sh*t

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The throttle bodies from your so called sealed system
20220219_085837.jpg

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Your not talking to a green horn here either bud

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes the pink panther thats black panther under the aluminum pipe shroud - it holds water and rots your pipe also - terrible sh*t
Yes I see your point of view on that. If the pipe rots then it’s game on. I just don’t see a lot of pipes rotting through in my experience. Usually the shroud vibrates apart and guys will buy a cheap pipe online or replace the cloth and the shrouds.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Try to find a refurbished set of 850 cylinders and aftermarket gaskets in western Canada right now - I don't think it's due to covid shortages - it's because they are all blowing up

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
While there are lots of G4s with a bunch of different issues there are thousands out there that don’t have any issues. Also, what’s the alternative? Cat? Polaris? They all have issues.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They all have issues for sure - it's just like with vehicles - they all have their good and bad yrs - I'm just hatin on the gen 4 yrs is all - probably because 3 of my friends have 850's and all 3 are blown up right now - so it affects me and I get angry - except my buddy's with the 5 lb silber on it -

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It seems more like a re-skined G4 with a few tweaks than a G5
Same as xp-xm. I wouldn’t be afraid to be a first year owner. Everything is just refined. I personally really want a g5

Also still riding a 16 t3

bobsledder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How many kms?
I don't even know. I only run my guage on temp or rpmcause thats all i care about. Haha I will have to start it and look. Probably around 4k. Have not used it much this year cause tired of gravel access he in suck a moose.

I guess from what you are saying I better get a new one for next year🤔

Top Bottom