Gen 4 to gen 5 changes

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
They all have issues for sure - it's just like with vehicles - they all have their good and bad yrs - I'm just hatin on the gen 4 yrs is all - probably because 3 of my friends have 850's and all 3 are blown up right now - so it affects me and I get angry - except my buddy's with the 5 lb silber on it -
Our group has been through about (20) g4s. I have been pretty lucky as not have had a belt burner or other gremlins, however i have witnessed a couple of the problematic ones and they were some kind of messed up. it seemed if they were eating belts, they also had wiring issues, and if they had the wiring issue, they were likely to pop a motor. I can say my tune would much different if had one of the lemons.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our group has been through about (20) g4s. I have been pretty lucky as not have had a belt burner or other gremlins, however i have witnessed a couple of the problematic ones and they were some kind of messed up. it seemed if they were eating belts, they also had wiring issues, and if they had the wiring issue, they were likely to pop a motor. I can say my tune would much different if had one of the lemons.
20 of em holy hell that's crazy

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My 17 was a pos my 2020 has been bullet proof so far, hopefully the g5 doesnt have to many changes and will stay just as reliable

Last edited:

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m confident to say that the G5 is a new chassis after seeing the different tunnel and such. It not like the xp-XM change.

JMCX

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I’m confident to say that the G5 is a new chassis after seeing the different tunnel and such. It not like the xp-XM change.
What new tunnel? It just has new running boards, correct? Same front suspension and bulkhead. The quick remove rear suspension and drive axle is a good idea. As long as it's done right. All these guys landing on their side will put that to the test.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The tunnels lighter gauge on the coolers to loose weight. Boards are narrowed. Definitely more than they did xp-xm. But still share some main components. I don’t think that’s a bad thing either.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What new tunnel? It just has new running boards, correct? Same front suspension and bulkhead. The quick remove rear suspension and drive axle is a good idea. As long as it's done right. All these guys landing on their side will put that to the test.

The heat exchanger is redesigned along with the running boards. New engine module with 4 engine mounts.

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm telling you people - the pipe sh*t gets everywhere - this isn't even the pic of the sled I'm working on - and the stupid under airbox sound dampening sh*t - the little round clips fly off and get in your clutches - terrible idea and design IMO
Screenshot_20220215-145411_Facebook.jpg

kingcat162

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe take off the side panels and hood. Then inspect and clean the engine bay. If anything is starting to happen you just might catch it!
I'm just simply pointing out the design flaws of the gen 4 - like the awesome pipe sensor locking piece that's riveted into the heat shroud - how awesome is that POS - once that gets deleted from its own design flaw - the shroud turns Into a vibrating insulation shredder

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Honestly haven’t been around sledding much from 2017. But still read and follow all the different stuff about sleds. I really liked my xp and xm both were great sleds. But didn’t like the g4. When you stood on it it felt and looked cheap imo. I’ve been looking for a used sled this year and there’s only a few g4’s out there without new motors put in them and some with really low miles. Welded up a tunnel for a guy this year that was shortening it. I had a good look at it and agree with you about the pipe insulation. That sled sparkled under the hood from the insulation fibres. The new g5 however looks pretty sweet the 154 expert with that new track looks like one hell of a sled!

Cableguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
these new sleds need more frequent cleaning and inspection/maintainence
the more power you squeeze out of a engine that is tached out all day the more oftenyou have to look under the hood
there getting to be just like a plane gotta keep clean it clean in the engine bay

snoflake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda curious why that pipe insulation problem is on some and not others. I have had 2 G4s over 4000km, and worked on a few others without that issue. My sleds, and the others I have worked on are aways in a heated trailer, and stored in a heated shop. Maybe that insulation is getting wet, and freezing, then deteriorating? Odd that it’s not happening to all of them.

bendy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kinda curious why that pipe insulation problem is on some and not others. I have had 2 G4s over 4000km, and worked on a few others without that issue. My sleds, and the others I have worked on are aways in a heated trailer, and stored in a heated shop. Maybe that insulation is getting wet, and freezing, then deteriorating? Odd that it’s not happening to all of them.
I believe the pipe insulation gets wet and does not dry between engine heat cycles. I always use the enclosed trailer on multiple day trips. My biggest problem is the belt dust in the engine bay. I don’t go through belts either. I like to pressure wash the engine bay often. Now having said that I’m not spraying directly into electrical components or connectors and blowing dry before reassembling the panels. I then run the engine to warm and dry everything and shake off any excess water. It definitely is time consuming. Sled looks like new when I go to sell it!

big_red1a

Reaction score
Looks like it was never cleaned, stored outside in a field for mice to live in!

Top Bottom