Garage wall ideas

Irocaz

Reaction score
How have you finished the walls in your detached garage?

I’m currently redoing the inside of my 24x32x9 garage/ workshop. Past shop I had done Osb when it was $8.99 a sheet and trimmed with 1x4’s. It looked ok but nothing special. Now over $50 a sheet it won’t look so great

drywall is nice (and affordable) but I’m afraid of cracking with change in humidity and temp. I have also seen 1x4’s over the joints instead of taping but then you have huge dust collectors...

Corrugated pvc/metal?

trusscore? Looks super clean and easy to install

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How have you finished the walls in your detached garage?

I’m currently redoing the inside of my 24x32x9 garage/ workshop. Past shop I had done Osb when it was $8.99 a sheet and trimmed with 1x4’s. It looked ok but nothing special. Now over $50 a sheet it won’t look so great

drywall is nice (and affordable) but I’m afraid of cracking with change in humidity and temp. I have also seen 1x4’s over the joints instead of taping but then you have huge dust collectors...

Corrugated pvc/metal?

trusscore? Looks super clean and easy to install

Regular drywall, and leave it. For a work garage it works fine, and you don't notice the joints too bad when all you stuff is hung on the walls.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
With the price of wood, i'd go with drywall or metal. Drywall looks fine, metal is better if you want a nicer look.

niner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truss core is very nice. Easy to use and clean. Strap with 1x4 every 16”. Plywood is cheaper than osb right now. Flat rib metal works well too. Out of the ones you mentioned I recommend truss core for the cleanest, brightest option. Compare to DelPro also. Same type of product. Be careful of room temperature when installing.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
If you use drywall, finish it; tape, sand, and paint. Unfinished drywall looks terrible in a couple of years. If it is done properly and the slab is stable, it shouldn't crack.
Metal is good and white sure brightens it up. Covers pretty fast. A little slower around the doors, windows, and electrical. The finish is great.
OSB looks like OSB even after it is painted. IMHO it is the worse cover for a garage.

gedakbx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truss core is very nice. Easy to use and clean. Strap with 1x4 every 16”. Plywood is cheaper than osb right now. Flat rib metal works well too. Out of the ones you mentioned I recommend truss core for the cleanest, brightest option. Compare to DelPro also. Same type of product. Be careful of room temperature when installing.

Who sells Truss core

thanks

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I went with plywood and just painted it. I like the fact that I can screw stuff to it without needing a stud, can take more impact than drywall. But now with the price I think I would go metal.

Irocaz

Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I have been really considering solid white aluminum soffit for the ceiling now. Super light and easy to work with, but fairly pricey.

for the walls I’m thinking of drywall with 1/2”x3 1/2” mdf over the vertical joints and then the top, bottom and corners trimmed with 1x4 stained knotty pine

Osb underneath it all (already have)

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the suggestions so far!

I have been really considering solid white aluminum soffit for the ceiling now. Super light and easy to work with, but fairly pricey.

for the walls I’m thinking of drywall with 1/2”x3 1/2” mdf over the vertical joints and then the top, bottom and corners trimmed with 1x4 stained knotty pine

Osb underneath it all (already have)

Just my opinion but don't try and reinvent the wheel by using soffit inside on the ceiling, you'll likely regret it. The proper metal isn't expensive, uncle weiners is carrying it now, 85 cents a square foot. Can't remember how much soffit is, but I think it's actually way more then that.

Irocaz

Reaction score
That’s a great price at uncle wieners! Soffit runs around $1.28 sq/f

Top Bottom