fresh snow!!!!!!!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are they training up there right now? Were you able to drive to the buildings?
How far you can drive depends on if the gate is locked, when we were there we drove to the last bridge and skinned up. No training when so far this summer but Gumbo Glacier Resort who has the permit for the area has announced they will be doing snow cat sightseeing and skiing this summer.

I blows me away that they are proposing to take people up in a cat and drop them off to ski on their own. Things will change when the first gorby falls into a crevass.

clarkydubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your telling me there not running any guides up there???? i am scared of glaciers, never ridden on one and kinda wanna keep it that way.....not enough trees anyways!!!!!!!

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
your telling me there not running any guides up there???? i am scared of glaciers, never ridden on one and kinda wanna keep it that way.....not enough trees anyways!!!!!!!
The press release did not get into specifics but I think they said $50 per person for a bus to and from the glacier and a ride up to the top, so I can't see guides being included for that.
Glaciers are spooky for sure, winter not so much but this time of year you can hear the water running underneath in places.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
that jumbo resort thing seems like a joke, Just shut it down already.
I agree but I think this may be the start of the commercial operation, probably a feeler to see what kind of market is out there for summer skiing.
I honestly can't see how it can be feesible when Panorama can hardly break even.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree but I think this may be the start of the commercial operation, probably a feeler to see what kind of market is out there for summer skiing.
I honestly can't see how it can be feesible when Panorama can hardly break even.

Thats cause the snow blows at panorama and they keep jacking their rates up and up and really haven't done much to make the hill better since I started going there in 03'

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thats cause the snow blows at panorama and they keep jacking their rates up and up and really haven't done much to make the hill better since I started going there in 03'
That's a bit harsh, Pano has never been known for powder but the groomer terrain is second to none. When the snow comes it dumps, it just does not happen often. Average snow fall is 300+cms. There has been new terrain opened up every year I since I moved here in 2004.

The lift rates are on par with all other resorts, it is an expensive business to run with very little profit. Which is why I can't understand how JGR will ever be able to operate. Pano has all the infrastructure in place(water, wastewater, hydro, propane) all of which JGR will need to construct, operate and maintain in a pretty tough environment.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The grooming is good Ill give it that, but groomies are boring( its like going to revy just to ride back and forth from the cabin to the staging area.... its a nice ride but it gets old quick). Taynton bowl can be good at times but ices up quick. 300+cms is not much snow at all, we got way more than that here in Whitecourt this year and a little old ski hill around here called silver summit gets that much on average and its only at an elevation of 3500-4500'. As far as the rates go they are on par with everybody else, but the big price hikes have come in the lodging up there. In 03 when I first started going there for what is now an annual trip, two people in gold lodging with lift passes for three days and nights was just shy of $700.00. Last year we went, same weekend as always and it was around the $1200 mark and when we got there we had to wait 2 hrs for our room to be ready, then when we got to our room it was filthy and looked like all they did was quickly make the beds cause dishes were still dirty in the dishwasher, counter tops were sticky, beer cans and plastic cups left out on the balcony and there was stains on the sheets still. So after all that they stuck us in another room that was in one of the old gold condos, had no balcony and was not even half as nice as the one we paid for........ never again will I go back, gonna try kicking horse next year.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The grooming is good Ill give it that, but groomies are boring( its like going to revy just to ride back and forth from the cabin to the staging area.... its a nice ride but it gets old quick). Taynton bowl can be good at times but ices up quick. 300+cms is not much snow at all, we got way more than that here in Whitecourt this year and a little old ski hill around here called silver summit gets that much on average and its only at an elevation of 3500-4500'. As far as the rates go they are on par with everybody else, but the big price hikes have come in the lodging up there. In 03 when I first started going there for what is now an annual trip, two people in gold lodging with lift passes for three days and nights was just shy of $700.00. Last year we went, same weekend as always and it was around the $1200 mark and when we got there we had to wait 2 hrs for our room to be ready, then when we got to our room it was filthy and looked like all they did was quickly make the beds cause dishes were still dirty in the dishwasher, counter tops were sticky, beer cans and plastic cups left out on the balcony and there was stains on the sheets still. So after all that they stuck us in another room that was in one of the old gold condos, had no balcony and was not even half as nice as the one we paid for........ never again will I go back, gonna try kicking horse next year.

This yr total snowfall was over 500cm, the snow is what it is, can't change it so use it. Don't bring the pow sticks, bring the carving knives out and rip it.

Can't argue about the lodging, great units but hskg is a real difficulty. A few yrs ao they changed from cleaning units when guest's left to when they arrived. This leaves you with a resort full of dirty units and then a race to get them cleaned the day before they are booked. I beleive this has been changed to the original policy as of this summer. Hopefully it helps because this is the number one complaint about the resort.

Cost is again pretty much on par for all ski-in ski-out style accomodations and none have the pool facility Pano does.

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the cost is high everywhere now, I don't mind paying the $$$$, but at the end of the day it has to be worth it and I believe they have gone the other way with it and it is no longer worth it there...... hopefully they get their ducks in a row up in pano because some of the funnest weekends I have ever had were there, as for jumbo, it seems like a complete waste of time and money to try and develop something up there, nice area but seems like a money losing venture in the end:d

mxz sledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We were at Whistler this past weekend and they were still snowboarding huge amount of mountain biker there for crankfest what a party

clarkydubs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya the cost is high everywhere now, I don't mind paying the $$$$, but at the end of the day it has to be worth it and I believe they have gone the other way with it and it is no longer worth it there...... hopefully they get their ducks in a row up in pano because some of the funnest weekends I have ever had were there, as for jumbo, it seems like a complete waste of time and money to try and develop something up there, nice area but seems like a money losing venture in the end:d

ya i agree, ....the only way it would be a success is if they made a highway from nelson to pano, then it would get the flow to keep it going, but there are so many enviro nuts on both sides of the purcells that that will NEVER happen....

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got a brand new sled, so I want about 5 feet of fresh pow. :)

Found some more snow, not enough to sled but enough to ski! WOOHOO winter lives on in summer
GOPR0405.jpg

tmo1620

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sure looks like fun, I might have to bring my board down that way next summer. Got a wedding in banff at the end of June then going camping at spur valley for a week after the wedding, looks like a blast

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That sure looks like fun, I might have to bring my board down that way next summer. Got a wedding in banff at the end of June then going camping at spur valley for a week after the wedding, looks like a blast

The skiing is not the best but it's better than nothing. Why are you camping at Spur Valley? Golfing? Fun course but other than that not alot to do. Some really nice lakes to the west if you're into fishin for supper(Jade, Clelland, Topaz, Twin)

polarisdragon800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So is this snow that has not melted or is it still snowing up their every now and then? where is this at? and does this mean a early start on sledding season or what?

Top Bottom