Ford V10 6.8L

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get a 5.9L cummins. Cummins is offering 100k mile badges for every 100,000 miles you put on your cummins up to 1 million.

Sent from my killer Nexus S.
back in the day when we ran cummins in our Kenworths they would send a huge package..."Million Mile Freedom Trucker"....when you hit one million miles. metal badging to bolt to the hood, coffee cups, cowboy hats, jackets, floormats for the truck, and a whole bunch of other stuff. we hit a million miles with the 3 that we had....

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
back in the day when we ran cummins in our Kenworths they would send a huge package..."Million Mile Freedom Trucker"....when you hit one million miles. metal badging to bolt to the hood, coffee cups, cowboy hats, jackets, floormats for the truck, and a whole bunch of other stuff. we hit a million miles with the 3 that we had....

Took a 36 foot motor home pulling a 23' Malibu boat and it burnt the same amount of fuel to kelowna as my pos dodge Cummings Running empty. The newer v10 engines gets the same mileage as the dpf newer diesels. Holds speed on the hills pretty good also. I don't agree that they are totally gutless. Not a deisel of course. But for the money they are a good option.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Took a 36 foot motor home pulling a 23' Malibu boat and it burnt the same amount of fuel to kelowna as my pos dodge Cummings Running empty. The newer v10 engines gets the same mileage as the dpf newer diesels. Holds speed on the hills pretty good also. I don't agree that they are totally gutless. Not a deisel of course. But for the money they are a good option.
I have the 8.1 litre (496ci) gas job in my '06 GM, it was 11 thousand cheaper than going with the duramax when I ordered it. I can pull my 26' fifth wheel up any hill at 120 km/hr if I choose to throw fuel mileage out the window....lol. best I've seen it for mileage empty is 17mpg, loaded it gets around 10-12mpg driving responsibly. that engine has never given me a minutes worth of grief, other than oil changes and air filters, it has never required a penny's worth of repairs.

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a 2001? f250 crew short 4x4 7.3 diesel that just came up on Kijji Edmonton last night 100000 km $20000 get on it fast if you are serious it will be gone. I think the truck is in Spruce Grove.

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a 2008 F350 with the V10. I could get 17 MPG highway and about 11-12 checking wells with it. Power was decent but did not have the torque of a diesel. The V10s are mad to rev and if you will let them, they will pull rather well. You may just be running at 4500 RPM rather than 2000-2500 with a diesel.

It all depends on what kind of driving you are intending on doing.

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive got a 2010 with a v10 in it did a few modest upgrades to it and it has plenty of power for towing and easily as good of milage as the new green deisels the big bonus is the purchase price was approx $15000 cheaper. oil changes are cheaper winter warmup is way quiker its been very worry free unit im much happier with this than the last 4 deisel trucks ive had.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My V-10 (F-350) with a bit of kit in the back, maybe 5000 kg Gross will get a best of 20L/100Km to 22L/100K. Our F-450's Grossing close to 7000 Kg will only get 35L/100KM.
Don't be afraid of a 7.3 with higher Km. I put nearly 400K on my last one and sold it to a buddy who's still running it. Same guy works for a "bus" company and they have 7.3's with 700K on them when they scrap the bus, engines still running fine though.

250mark1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I get 12-15 miles per gallon with my 08 f-350 4x4 with the sled deck in empty
And 8-12 miles per gallon loaded with the holiday trailer ( 17000 lbs total )
Has all the power need 110 down the hiway at 2000 rpm no problem milage all. Depends on how how much you put your foot into it

Bezzola

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have the v10 engine in my 33 foot motor home i can,t say anything on milage but power it pulls my four quads and a full load of water fine.

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have the 8.1 litre (496ci) gas job in my '06 GM, it was 11 thousand cheaper than going with the duramax when I ordered it. I can pull my 26' fifth wheel up any hill at 120 km/hr if I choose to throw fuel mileage out the window....lol. best I've seen it for mileage empty is 17mpg, loaded it gets around 10-12mpg driving responsibly. that engine has never given me a minutes worth of grief, other than oil changes and air filters, it has never required a penny's worth of repairs.

i'd also go with a chev with a 8.1 v8... if i was to replace my dsl..... plus it also has the allison auto....

put gas in and go .... i have heard any where from 13 - 21 highway unloaded..

most dsl's won't do that and there is no maintance.... dsl can and in most cases will be $$$$$$$$$... even just oil changes, fuel filters ect...

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i'd also go with a chev with a 8.1 v8... if i was to replace my dsl..... plus it also has the allison auto....

put gas in and go .... i have heard any where from 13 - 21 highway unloaded..

most dsl's won't do that and there is no maintance.... dsl can and in most cases will be $$$$$$$$$... even just oil changes, fuel filters ect...
the six speed allison is nice, even has some kind of braking feature in tow/haul mode. if you are coasting down a hill, you just tap the brake pedal once and the trans braking kicks in and will even downshift on it's own.

I haven't seen better than 17mpg highway, but I rarely drive at 100km/hr....usually always run at 10-15km/hr over the posted limit. and I don't recall having a gas engine that burnt more fuel idling, it will slurp up a 1/4 tank in just a few hours of sitting, but the thing will start at -35 no sweat after being parked in a snowbank for a week.

side by side comparison with my pa's 6.0 litre GM empty from grimshaw to edmonton, the 8.1 used one more litre of fuel, both loaded the same coming back I used 17 litres less than he did.

I'm pretty happy with the truck, sure can find them used for cheap, no one wants the BB....

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
the six speed allison is nice, even has some kind of braking feature in tow/haul mode. if you are coasting down a hill, you just tap the brake pedal once and the trans braking kicks in and will even downshift on it's own.

I haven't seen better than 17mpg highway, but I rarely drive at 100km/hr....usually always run at 10-15km/hr over the posted limit. and I don't recall having a gas engine that burnt more fuel idling, it will slurp up a 1/4 tank in just a few hours of sitting, but the thing will start at -35 no sweat after being parked in a snowbank for a week.

side by side comparison with my pa's 6.0 litre GM empty from grimshaw to edmonton, the 8.1 used one more litre of fuel, both loaded the same coming back I used 17 litres less than he did.

I'm pretty happy with the truck, sure can find them used for cheap, no one wants the BB....

i was going to sell my dsl..... went and looked at 2 8.1's but thats all i could find.... most keep peeps keep them....

and yes the cold starting is way way better....

and ya its funny that the 8.1 don't have to work and the 6.0l has to work and is worse on fuel...

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've got a '05 gm with the 8.1L, i can pass everything but a gas station! and with a 140L tank, it costs a few $$ to fill up!!

in all seriousness, i really do like the truck though. i've have had 2 sleds on the deck pulling a trailer with 2 more multiple times fully loaded with gear and never have any power issues. you can't even tell its working.

i certainly won't be selling mine anytime soon.

pirate31red

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
just got back from camping holiday pulling my 5th wheel to south sk with the v10 on 1428 km one way it averaged 10.2 mpg at 122kmh i thaught that was pretty good same trailer behind my last dodge got 8.9 mpg at 120 kmh i think im winning with the v10 especially if you factor in lower purchase price and maintenance woo hoo:beer: buys alot of beer

leadfoot33

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your gonna go dsl i do recomment the duramax awesome motor awsome mpg and fantastic power :p i have an 05 that towed my trailer and an 07 6.0l and the furamax with a 80l tank makes it further than a 6.0l with a 120l tank.
and has more power but i do like the 6.0l or an 8.1l gaser :D

Junior Highmark

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
if your gonna go dsl i do recomment the duramax awesome motor awsome mpg and fantastic power :p i have an 05 that towed my trailer and an 07 6.0l and the furamax with a 80l tank makes it further than a 6.0l with a 120l tank.
and has more power but i do like the 6.0l or an 8.1l gaser :D

If your going diesel, the obvious winner is the 5.9l cummins. The truck will fall apart before that engine dies.

Sent from my iPhone slayer.

Turbo-North

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The 7.3's are bulletproof. The body will fall off the frame before the motor goes. I have friends with high mileage 7.3's that love them to death. Best motor Ford has ever had.:trustme:

Because it wasn,t a Ford motor LOL. Stay away from the V 10,s ZERO power and Zero fuel mileage. We have some at work the 5.4,s have almost as much power!!

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's because dodge's cab/chassis build quality is about par with a golf cart.

I do agree with that, but if a person takes good care of them the body will last. For example, my dad has a 04 cummins with just over 340,000 k on it. It's started showing rust at 250,000 k. The guy hardly ever washes his truck. I just hit 264,000 k on my 03 today, and no rust on it at all. BUT, I wash mine at least once a week, if not more when needed.
Just my 2 cents on that subject.

sent from my android

suzuki_ryder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because it wasn,t a Ford motor LOL. Stay away from the V 10,s ZERO power and Zero fuel mileage. We have some at work the 5.4,s have almost as much power!!

The 6L and the 6.4 aren't ford motors either. It's a navistar/international motor just like the 7.3 was. The new 6.7 is a ford built motor.

We used an older motor home with the V-10 to drive to las Vegas, and it was pretty bad on fuel, and didn't climb the mountain hills very well. We were pinned coming up to the hills going 140 and hitting the top going 60-70. Don't remember how many miles were on it either.

Last edited:
Top Bottom