Fernie Bridge construction

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK...so this is a bit of a RANT thread.

Two of the bridges in the Fernie area are under construction. The one to the West, the replacement bridge over Lizard Creek, has been under construction for 15 months now and has been the site of many traffic jams and accidents.

The one that is really pissing everyone off is the bridge deck repair just east of the Elk River bridge. This was the site of a massive traffic jam at the end of the July Long weekend...traffic was backed up in both lanes all the way through town and all the way back to the ski hill entrance. It was a cluster Fu(k of immense proportions.

This construction site is single lane alternating traffic approximately 350 feet long and is controlled mainly by automatic portable traffic lights. What has really pissed me off is the numbers of people that travel through this 350' zone and somehow end up 3 or 4 hundred feet behind the vehicle in front of them...like WTF!!!!!...how does that even happen? WTF are these people doing? It's not like the traffic in front of them has Jack-rabbited ahead, the vast majority of traffic is traveling between 30-50 KPH at the exit of the construction zone. I have to cross this bridge 2 -3 times a day some days and it's really annoying to see these huge gaps in traffic while you're waiting in line. If everyone was being efficient and paying attention you could probably fit and additional 50-60 vehicles through each light cycle.

That is my lunch hour rant...

:beer::beer::beer: to anyone who feels the same.

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Haha...lol or whatever. I totally understand and it is getting more and more apparent that companies (I was going to say various levels of government) just don't care about service anymore. It is a shame and I sympathize with you.

Just keep smiling and tossing those :beer: :beer: :beer: around.

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Totally agree with you. The reaction time for some drivers is amazing as in wake the **ck up. I can see the lights from Fernie Rentals and shake my head lots. I cringe when I have to go into town

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Man I wish they'd start the bridge construction here but we're in a provincial Liberal voting and Federal Conservative voting riding so the NDP back-burnered all the funding for it.

The Kickass One

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I drove to Calgary on July 5th to pick up a friend and it took me 2.5 hrs to get from Sparwood to Coleman. The same company is working on resurfacing a bridge deck 13 km from Sparwood and the traffic was backed up from the bridge to Sparwood (13km) The stupid part was there was no traffic backed up coming from the other direction. People are brain dead.

Beer Slayer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
OK...so this is a bit of a RANT thread.

Two of the bridges in the Fernie area are under construction. The one to the West, the replacement bridge over Lizard Creek, has been under construction for 15 months now and has been the site of many traffic jams and accidents.

The one that is really pissing everyone off is the bridge deck repair just east of the Elk River bridge. This was the site of a massive traffic jam at the end of the July Long weekend...traffic was backed up in both lanes all the way through town and all the way back to the ski hill entrance. It was a cluster Fu(k of immense proportions.

This construction site is single lane alternating traffic approximately 350 feet long and is controlled mainly by automatic portable traffic lights. What has really pissed me off is the numbers of people that travel through this 350' zone and somehow end up 3 or 4 hundred feet behind the vehicle in front of them...like WTF!!!!!...how does that even happen? WTF are these people doing? It's not like the traffic in front of them has Jack-rabbited ahead, the vast majority of traffic is traveling between 30-50 KPH at the exit of the construction zone. I have to cross this bridge 2 -3 times a day some days and it's really annoying to see these huge gaps in traffic while you're waiting in line. If everyone was being efficient and paying attention you could probably fit and additional 50-60 vehicles through each light cycle.

That is my lunch hour rant...

:beer::beer::beer: to anyone who feels the same.

Biggest issue is the phuckin' cell phone...to many idiots think they phuck with there phone and drive. Totally tuned out to what's going on around them.
Saw a guy in a Jeep not to long ago with a news paper on his steering wheel....a couple hundred feet from the car in front, on the 401 HWY

...my rant to your rant, hehehe

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of road construction around Invermere getting the hiway ready for next year's closure of hiway 1 to Golden. That is going to be something else having that much traffic filter through Radium.

I'm glad I can avoid most of the Kaos, I go to town early am and get back to the ranch Before things get backed up.

FernieHawk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of road construction around Invermere getting the hiway ready for next year's closure of hiway 1 to Golden. That is going to be something else having that much traffic filter through Radium.

I'm glad I can avoid most of the Kaos, I go to town early am and get back to the ranch Before things get backed up.

That is definitely going to be a cluster fack. Radium to Golden is normally one of my favorite drives in SE BC, lots of scenery, lots of curves and next to no traffic...I will most likely be avoiding any trips to Revy during the Highway 1 closures.

pano-dude

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That is definitely going to be a cluster fack. Radium to Golden is normally one of my favorite drives in SE BC, lots of scenery, lots of curves and next to no traffic...I will most likely be avoiding any trips to Revy during the Highway 1 closures.
I think it's going to send alot of travellers down the number 3 too if they are heading to the west coast.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How long will the Hwy 1 closure last? Any idea guys?

There wont be a detailed schedule until project award but here is some details

[h=2]Winter 2020/21 through to Winter 2023/24[/h][h=3]Summer[/h]
  • During daytime, the highway through the Canyon will remain fully open and free of interruptions, other than momentary traffic control for turning vehicles.
  • Overnight, interruptions may range from 20 minute stoppages to 8 hour closures. The closures will require significant advance notice.
[h=3]Fall, Winter and Spring[/h]
  • Daytime may see stoppages from 20 minutes to 2 hours.
  • There may be closures of up to 10 hours overnight, which will require significant advance notice.
  • In addition, there may be multi-day extended closures from April 1 to mid-May and from mid-September to the end of November.
  • The highway will be kept open for Easter and Thanksgiving long weekends, and there will be two daily peak-hour windows to allow passage for school buses, commuters and other essential local traffic/trips. Extended closures will also require significant advance notice, and the first is now expected to occur in spring 2021.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Winter 2020/21 through to Winter 2023/24

Summer

• During daytime, the highway through the Canyon will remain fully open and free of interruptions, other than momentary traffic control for turning vehicles.
  • Overnight, interruptions may range from 20 minute stoppages to 8 hour closures. The closures will require significant advance notice.
Fall, Winter and Spring

• There may be closures of up to 10 hours overnight, which will require significant advance notice.
  • In addition, there may be multi-day extended closures from April 1 to mid-May and from mid-September to the end of November.
  • The highway will be kept open for Easter and Thanksgiving long weekends, and there will be two daily peak-hour windows to allow passage for school buses, commuters and other essential local traffic/trips. Extended closures will also require significant advance notice, and the first is now expected to occur in spring 2021.
Thanks Sean!

teamdirt

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Winter 2020/21 through to Winter 2023/24

Summer

Fall, Winter and Spring

fyi- not sure where u got this from but it’s been advertised that the LL-golden route will be completely shut down for 7days at a time with alternating weeks at certain times throughout the project. Hence this is why they r putting the big investment into Radium round-about....haven’t heard otherwise....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
fyi- not sure where u got this from but it’s been advertised that the LL-golden route will be completely shut down for 7days at a time with alternating weeks at certain times throughout the project. Hence this is why they r putting the big investment into Radium round-about....haven’t heard otherwise....

It says right in there, multiple day closures in spring and fall

LUCKY 7

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
with the amount of traffic already in this area some locals thought highway 1 was already closed

Top Bottom