Farmer talk

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a couple acres in front of my place that the previous owners had under fed horses in. Needless to say, it's destroyed and over run with weeds.

Online reading is telling me Grazon would be my best bet. Neighbour has a quad sprayer setup.

Would I be ok spraying this time of year and then reseeding and harrowing to get it to regrow.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Have a couple acres in front of my place that the previous owners had under fed horses in. Needless to say, it's destroyed and over run with weeds.

Online reading is telling me Grazon would be my best bet. Neighbour has a quad sprayer setup.

Would I be ok spraying this time of year and then reseeding and harrowing to get it to regrow.
Grazon will work, but it is hard to get unless you know someone who farms and quite expensive.Grazon is good if you have woody growth. Depending on type of weeds you are trying to control there may be cheaper options that are just as effective.

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Is the grass that’s left even worth saving?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mclean

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say no. We have 4 of the neighbors yearlings in there right now picking away at it. They like it out there because of the shelter we have so I can't go hog wild on it yet.

What are you thinking? Roll it over and start again?

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I would say no. We have 4 of the neighbors yearlings in there right now picking away at it. They like it out there because of the shelter we have so I can't go hog wild on it yet.

What are you thinking? Roll it over and start again?
I'd probably just nuke it and start over if it's only 2 acres.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Get yourself a jug of glyphosate(roundup) and a yard sprayer if u dont got one and hit jt with 1 litre per acre and then wait 15 days and hit it again then seed it to whatever u want prob best to wait till fall, we went from straight pasture to seeded crop this way on 40 acres, dont work on the gophers tho

Probably what will happen. What's the best way to go about that. New to this

Last edited by a moderator:

smokinD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank You to all the Men/Women/Children that make this happen.:)

357348972_611053361125143_7476737958803129967_n.jpg

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, going to try to plant my first ”crop” this weekend. Using a new to me, 10’ John Deere 9350 seed drill with a small seed attachment. I’ll be planting a wildlife mix with a wheat cover, about 15-16 lbs an acre I was told by the seed seller. Total acres will be around 12, for now. More later on. 😜
Hopefully it goes well and I can keep the rows straight…ish.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, going to try to plant my first ”crop” this weekend. Using a new to me, 10’ John Deere 9350 seed drill with a small seed attachment. I’ll be planting a wildlife mix with a wheat cover, about 15-16 lbs an acre I was told by the seed seller. Total acres will be around 12, for now. More later on. 😜
Hopefully it goes well and I can keep the rows straight…ish.
No GPS autotrak? Lol

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey question for you experts.

I have a few small spots of mayweed. I need to spray or pull out and burn.

Grazon was one suggestion I was told to use. I have a pull behind sprayer for my sxs

Or should I give each plant a shot of roundup.

What do you guys recommend

Thanks.

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
No GPS autotrak? Lol
Hahaha. Wasn’t an option on a JD 3130.

And just like that, the seeding plans have changed.

It will now be a root and wood picking weekend.
I’m waiting for Telus to mark the driveway so we can put the proper culvert in. The guy whose doing the work said he’ll dig up a few marked boulders that are in the plot with his hoe.

Uturn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey question for you experts.

I have a few small spots of mayweed. I need to spray or pull out and burn.

Grazon was one suggestion I was told to use. I have a pull behind sprayer for my sxs

Or should I give each plant a shot of roundup.

What do you guys recommend

Thanks.
What is the mayweed in? It has a good root network, so pulling has limited results unless you can get deep enough. I usually treat small areas in grass several times with roundup, then reseed. A strong lawn will choke it out. I pull all the individual shoots up out of the grass, clump them together and lay some plastic covered in paper towel under it to protect lawn, spray with roundup from a hand spray bottle. Wait for roundup to dry and move on. This wouldn't work well in a pasture.

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the mayweed in? It has a good root network, so pulling has limited results unless you can get deep enough. I usually treat small areas in grass several times with roundup, then reseed. A strong lawn will choke it out. I pull all the individual shoots up out of the grass, clump them together and lay some plastic covered in paper towel under it to protect lawn, spray with roundup from a hand spray bottle. Wait for roundup to dry and move on. This wouldn't work well in a pasture.
Just a few along the bush. I probably buy Grazon and spray them.

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a few along the bush. I probably buy Grazon and spray them.
I've just picked it and it seems to disappear, I guess it depends on where your located, but in our country Scentless Chamomile never really gets much of a foothold beyond a few isolated patches!

Top Bottom