Farmer talk

gdvross

Reaction score
I'm surprised you don't like U 2 reels they seem to me that they are the only ones you don't have to know model and serial # before getting a part . Hart carter and Macdon have drove me crazy trying to figure them out.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm surprised you don't like U 2 reels they seem to me that they are the only ones you don't have to know model and serial # before getting a part . Hart carter and Macdon have drove me crazy trying to figure them out.

The reels themselves are good, but the reel drive is what we don't like around here. Those gears are always breaking for some reason.

Sent from my Desire HD

aaron_m

Reaction score
Started chewing at home (east of saskatoon an hr). Barley running a solid 80, and wighing up at 48. so her;s hoping for malt. Please god let us hit it this year

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody seeing any ergot in their wheat and durum this year. Some areas around here are showing it.

theseeker

Reaction score
Anyone have experience with the smaller grain dryers? Ive been looking for one for a while and not sure wether to go with a continuous or a batch dryer it wont be anything fancy we only put in a few hundred acres but we always seem to get a few hundred bushels of tough grain so it would be nice to be able to dry it. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anybody seeing any ergot in their wheat and durum this year. Some areas around here are showing it.
None here that I am aware of Ken.
Anyone have experience with the smaller grain dryers? Ive been looking for one for a while and not sure wether to go with a continuous or a batch dryer it wont be anything fancy we only put in a few hundred acres but we always seem to get a few hundred bushels of tough grain so it would be nice to be able to dry it. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.
Have you looked at the option of getting an aeriation fan put into a couple of bins? I think that would be the cheaper option. If the grain is tough, then run the fans when it's dry out. If the grain is hot, run the fan over night when it's cool.

theseeker

Reaction score
ya we've got a few bins with aeration but we like to reserve them for the canola, do you know of anywhere that makes a kit to retro fit a hopper bin with a air tube we've got a few hopper bottoms and a couple flat bottoms we could run tubes through, like you say it would be cheaper and easier in the long run

Iron Horse Racing

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone on here in the general vacinity of SE of Sherwood Park, selling round bales of grass hay , small % of Alpha is okay.

Yes it's for horse's......and yes we can haul it.

eclipse1966

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
any of you guys certified organic?? We specialize in moving organic grains to Europe, US and Japan so would be nice to have some more growers to work with. Tks - Dennis

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ya we've got a few bins with aeration but we like to reserve them for the canola, do you know of anywhere that makes a kit to retro fit a hopper bin with a air tube we've got a few hopper bottoms and a couple flat bottoms we could run tubes through, like you say it would be cheaper and easier in the long run

I don't know of anyone, but I'm sure someone will chime in.

Sent from my Desire HD

T

TracksCanada

I think in the end it may pay for itself. One bag can be as much as 10,000 bushels. To buy a 10,000 bushel bin costs about $18,000. The bagger can make several 10,000 bushel bags. The bin gets full.
IMO.

I guess I just can't see the machinery for the money. Grain Logix Grain Bag Storage Systems by Loftness I like this system.
Talked to a friend in US and the university in his state has been studying how to recycle bags. University said "energy wise" burning them in an outside furnace was the best. Heard there were some guys out in Alberta have started to recyle them.
My brother started combining Canary seed said about 40 bus/acre and that's after 10% hail damage. We came home to Alberta Sunday night and I'd say south of Calgary 15 to 20 days behind central Sask in harvest.
Neighbour accross steet in Beechy lost his Case/IH in a fire on Saturday. It was +35 and he said fire was coming out the back landing in crop. Got fire in feild out first then combine. Total write off, just made his last payment on it but he had insurance. I'll see if I can post pictures.

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
One hellava frost this morning, down to -5. Have been running the swather for 24 hours a day since last weak. Guess I should of bought another swather to beat the frost. imagejpeg_2.jpg

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never seen frost that thick. Are you sure it didn't snow up there while you were sleeping?

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've never seen frost that thick. Are you sure it didn't snow up there while you were sleeping?

If it was blowing there, as hard as it was here, I can see how it would do that...

Sent from my Desire HD

scotts

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That pic was taken at dawn I would bet with the snow being frost beaten off the crop and accumulated on the cold steel.. Never a good thing!!We lost 200'ac of canola to the frost, will finish our wheat land and move into canola sometime around midnight.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That pic was taken at dawn I would bet with the snow being frost beaten off the crop and accumulated on the cold steel.. Never a good thing!!We lost 200'ac of canola to the frost, will finish our wheat land and move into canola sometime around midnight.

That's not good. Have had frost here a couple times now, but nothing like that.

Sent from my Desire HD

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far so good down here but they have a frost warning out for our area tonite. Alot of guys are starting to wind it up now around here.

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So far so good down here but they have a frost warning out for our area tonite. Alot of guys are starting to wind it up now around here.

Same here. (for the frost warning)
When you finish up, wanna come help us poor farmers up here finish up?

Sent from my Desire HD

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha Ha. I know I come alot cheaper than Thumper. Gimme a John Deere, some good food and your date dropping off the odd milkshake and I'm good to go.:D:beer::beer:

underdog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ha Ha. I know I come alot cheaper than Thumper. Gimme a John Deere, some good food and your date dropping off the odd milkshake and I'm good to go.:D:beer::beer:

Haha. Well its all home cooked meals. Breakfast is at 7.

Sent from my Desire HD

Top Bottom