Farmer talk

adamg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a roadtrip this weekend in SK. On the highway near town of Kyle SK, there are an insane amount of large black insects literring the highway. I'd say like 40 per square foot, for like 80 km of road. Lots of them are moving, I assume lots are dead from being run over by traffic.
Anyone know what insect that is? I don't know what crops are nearby. They all kept to the ground, I wasn't getting any on the windshield or seeing any airborne.
I asked a buddy that lives in the area. He said:

"Grasshoppers and crickets. They're like a plague here."

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We got 22mm yesterday and over 40mm last night. That’ll slow harvest down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
John Deere 3130…thoughts?
I‘m looking at picking one up. The use is to cut 40 acres of grass and trails, some disc work and probably that’s it. It has 5000 hrs on it, hi/lo is new, same with the clutch pto. The work was done at Joes Tractor out of Olds. New joystick for hydraulics and also the hydraulic control valve.
The tractor does come with a front end loader.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
John Deere 3130…thoughts?
I‘m looking at picking one up. The use is to cut 40 acres of grass and trails, some disc work and probably that’s it. It has 5000 hrs on it, hi/lo is new, same with the clutch pto. The work was done at Joes Tractor out of Olds. New joystick for hydraulics and also the hydraulic control valve.
The tractor does come with a front end loader.
We have a 3140 on the farm now for years and years. It’s been a great tractor for light loader work, been on the grain auger and I use it for my 3 point hitch mower for kochia patches and mowing field approaches before harvest. They are an awesome tractor

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have a 3140 on the farm now for years and years. It’s been a great tractor for light loader work, been on the grain auger and I use it for my 3 point hitch mower for kochia patches and mowing field approaches before harvest. They are an awesome tractor
Thanks Ken. We went to look at it last night and it seems to be in great shape. Just have to figure out if it’s what we are looking for.

Rn4

Reaction score
7870713C-A245-41E9-BDD6-12B2AC1CF8A3.jpeg

Harvest can’t ever go without an issue lol

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because of unlucky timing it looks like we are going to be going on our canola in +30 temps with warm overnights for the next week. What do you guys do to stop the canola from overheating even in an air bin? Should a guy just leave the fan running in the heat of the day or just at night. Had hot lentils last go in the heat and ran the fans for 2 nights and brought temps down only 2-3 degrees.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Lots of crickets on the highway near Rosetown yesterday

Crickets are insane but hopefully eating lots of eggs otherwise the hoppers will be out of control next year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jhurkot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Because of unlucky timing it looks like we are going to be going on our canola in +30 temps with warm overnights for the next week. What do you guys do to stop the canola from overheating even in an air bin? Should a guy just leave the fan running in the heat of the day or just at night. Had hot lentils last go in the heat and ran the fans for 2 nights and brought temps down only 2-3 degrees.
Here's a great video.

If you want the more in-depth video this is the one...

I never run the fans between 9am-9pm.

sledneck__11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Canola was down to 3.6 moisture here and 60km winda in the day blowinf the canola very badly guy cant win, also +35 during tbe day we have since stopped combining during tbe day and have been firing up
After supper

Top Bottom