Fancy tape measure????????????

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
I got tired of walking up 27 steps today. It was the 24th time and I said BS. I wanted to cut a board 34 and a half inches and I forget my tape measure upstairs. I grabbed one that was sitting on a bench. Pulled it open and couldn't find 34 and a half inches. There was 2 ft. and 3 ft. and I figured out that 2' 5 was 30" but where was 34 and a half inches?? The owner of the tape laughed and I walked up the 27 steps one more time to get my tape.

Have you seen a tape measure like this one before????

IMG_6035.jpeg

moyiesledhead

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yup. Hate the damn things!

Wait a minute. NO! WTF? Those aren't inches! The ones I've attempted to use have 1 thru 11 between the foot marks. :confused:

Last edited:

The big greasy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got tired of walking up 27 steps today. It was the 24th time and I said BS. I wanted to cut a board 34 and a half inches and I forget my tape measure upstairs. I grabbed one that was sitting on a bench. Pulled it open and couldn't find 34 and a half inches. There was 2 ft. and 3 ft. and I figured out that 2' 5 was 30" but where was 34 and a half inches?? The owner of the tape laughed and I walked up the 27 steps one more time to get my tape.

View attachment 234958
i hate anything that has a speck of metric on it!

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

View attachment 234958

2’10” is 34”.
2’6”…30”.
No, that’s the first time I’ve ever seen a tape measure like that.
Hope I never see another one like it.

52weekbreak

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It is always my objective to use the same tape measure so I always have the same format to look at. As a fall back, I usually but four identical tapes at a time and keep one by the saw :) Sometimes that doesn't matter because by the time I arrive at the cutting area I have forgotten WTF the length was anyway. The extra cardio might be helpful in keeping you slim Doug. Whatcha buildin" now?

ABMax24

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is that a gag tape or an actual tool? Because that's what happens when some designer (in China) that has never used the imperial system designs a tape measure, they just assume a foot is broken up into 10 base increments instead of 12.

Try to look for a 1/4", an inch is broken up into tenths on that tape, instead of 8ths or 16ths.

Could've fooled them and used the metric side, wood work is the only time I use imperial, for most other things metric is easier.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Metric for big work too ?

Some guys are all metric w/woodworking, and torx.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was going to give him a hard time but when he was young a tape measure was a stick or several sticks put together for longer measures.

Right Doug lol

Dawizman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Engineers tape. It's in tenths and hundredth of a foot in one side and metric on the other side. No inches on that thing. I have rulers like that for drafting.

Flapjack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
How about a slide rule, anybody know how to run one ? Dad had them around the house, idk how.

Engineering must've hurt before calculators.

ctd

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Something only an engineer could/would come up with Ha! Very good thread, it explains why I could never understand those type of measurements......gawd. Over complicate something so the simpletons' like myself cannot figure it out :)

Top Bottom