Educational requirements

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to know what courses I have to take for the career path I want to take for school. I have chosen to become a pipefitter or something along those lines. Im taking all the top courses and I need to just finnish Math 10 pure and im done grade 10. But for the life of me I cannot find out what I need for pipe/steam fitting. Can some one help me out here??

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to know what courses I have to take for the career path I want to take for school. I have chosen to become a pipefitter or something along those lines. Im taking all the top courses and I need to just finnish Math 10 pure and im done grade 10. But for the life of me I cannot find out what I need for pipe/steam fitting. Can some one help me out here??

isnt it like grade 11 or something
most trades are grade 11

funny the NAIT website doesnt give the pre-req... if you call them they'll give you all that info

though if you graduate you should be good to go
if you graduate with all your 30 courses you should be a shoe in

KORE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Look a little deeper into the trades as you will have to enjoy working the job, my advice would be to get into millwrighting as we get to do a bit of everybody's trade. It not a redundant, same thing everyday kinda deal, nothing against pipefitters but there is not much outside the trade you can do with it. welding you could specialize in tig, mig etc, run a truck whatever, millwright you learn all about pumps, turbines, 2stroke 4 stroke engines, bearings etc. Just my opinion but im glad i chose millwrighting.

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
isnt it like grade 11 or something
most trades are grade 11

funny the NAIT website doesnt give the pre-req... if you call them they'll give you all that info

though if you graduate you should be good to go
if you graduate with all your 30 courses you should be a shoe in

Yeah but, i dont wanna take math 30-1, physics 30, and chem 30 if I dont have to. My principal even told me that if I dont have to take some courses It would make things so much easier.

ponyboy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
IMO ... the best thing to do is finish school , when your done , jump in the shotgun seat of a welding truck , or a fitting truck for a least a year .. in either one of these , you will encounter just about every other trade there is .... welder , fitter , electrician , instrumentation ,heavy duty mechanic... the only one you wont see is a millwright.....all good peeps with good advise... and the moneys good ... you will need it when you start trade school . good luck

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah but, i dont wanna take math 30-1, physics 30, and chem 30 if I dont have to. My principal even told me that if I dont have to take some courses It would make things so much easier.

i wouldnt limit myself like that

what if you start your apprenticeship and you realize you hate it
but now you cant switch into anything different because you've already bottlenecked yourself into this specific trade

god forbid you'd change you mind and try to go to university afterwards

i'd try to get EVERYTHING done now so you have the most options later
hard work now pays off later

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Although a High School Diploma is not required as a prerequisite for entrance into the program, students should be aware that some employers may require a High School Diploma as a prerequisite for employment.

Students must have Grade 11 English, Math, and Science or their equivalent. Courses in applied mathematics and physics are particularly important. Students who do not meet these requirements may write the AIT apprentice entrance exam. Please contact the Department for further information.

Thats for millwright at grande prairie college in fairview that used to be nait. Call or email nait to make double sure, but it will be something similar to this. It doesnt say they have to be pure grade 11 courses so applied will probably due.. but you might as well take a grade 12 english and social since you already be taking the grade 11 science and math and you'll get a diploma.

KVF 700

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i wouldnt limit myself like that

what if you start your apprenticeship and you realize you hate it
but now you cant switch into anything different because you've already bottlenecked yourself into this specific trade

god forbid you'd change you mind and try to go to university afterwards

i'd try to get EVERYTHING done now so you have the most options later
hard work now pays off later

x2 on this. If you have the potential to complete academic courses, of course do that. but if your a "non-academic", then get out as soon as you can.

Theres a difference between not "wanting to take the pure courses because there hard" and actually being not able. The teachers will help you out if you have the right atttitude, even if you arent an honours student.

Bogger

Bogger of the GBCA
Reaction score
In the grand scheme of things another 2 years in school is nothing.....

As stated many companies require highschool, maybe not for a call out from the hall but if you want to move into a supervisory position the lack of high school can quickly come back to bite you in the azz....

If you decided you wanted to branch out (even within the trade) and upgrade for a project management, business, safety ect... to upgrade at any of the reputable universities high school is a requirement for admission for certificate studies...

I remember how school seemed to drag especially when you get close to the end, but pull up those big boy panties and suck it up.... I ened up having to go back to highschool for 6 months of upgrading just to quallify for admission to the NSCC College of Geographic Sciences.... LAND SURVEYING.... required a 79.5% overall average and completion of 2 grade 12 level sciences, one of which had to be physics.

When it comes to moving into managment roles and climbing corporate ladders, the difference between you and him may be him having high school which allowed him to take a project managment certificate in part time studies..... It's easier to do this chit now when your young...

I'm 36 with a full time job, 4 kids and still going to University 2 nights a week...

Last edited:

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talked to my vice principal and she went through some things. I am going in all 20 - 1 courses. Also im gonna take bio 20 and physics 20. Cant stand chem. And i dont really need it. So my doors are still open.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Talked to my vice principal and she went through some things. I am going in all 20 - 1 courses. Also im gonna take bio 20 and physics 20. Cant stand chem. And i dont really need it. So my doors are still open.

Not the door to the University without chem...just sayin...Trust us, you will never look back and regret taking the extra classes...

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not the door to the University without chem...just sayin...Trust us, you will never look back and regret taking the extra classes...

sure it is.... he'll just need to take a chem equivalency course

i did that.. i hated chem

xrsrev

Reaction score
I have been a steamfitter/pipefitter for 13 years now. In order to apply at most jobs now you must have a diploma of some sort. I know 45 year old guys trying to get there GED right now in order to get specific jobs. If you plan on applying at a plant to be staff you need a diploma. Most employers wont even look at your resume unless you have it! The more training you have when you are young and capable the better you are in the future. Get your high school courses done and you can sail through the rest of your career path with no worries. Good Luck! PM me when you get your diploma. May be able to get a job for you. Only if you get your diploma though! LOL

Bounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to your school about the RAP program. This is the registered apprenticeship program. You are like my son at the perfect age for this program. You can pick a trade and try it and get credit for hours. My Son worked the summer of grade 11 and the first semester of grade 12 as an Instrument Tech. Went back for the final semester of school and graduated with a diploma. His first years hours were 90 percent complete, first year Nait in the fall after grad. Worked great for him. Here are some websites: Tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca and

Pm me if this interests you and you want more info.

Good Luck

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Im not a university person. Going to nait, lakeland, or red deer. Getting a ticket, not a phd.

I struggle in chem. Nothing about chemistry interests me.

Longhorn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.longhornenergy.ca
Im not a university person. Going to nait, lakeland, or red deer. Getting a ticket, not a phd.

I struggle in chem. Nothing about chemistry interests me.

You might not be today, but you have a long life ahead of you is all I am saying. What you feel today you likely wont feel the same 10, 20, 30 years from now...

Nothing wrong with a trade either, lots of trades today making more than university grads, but its always nice to have that door open if later in life you changed your mind. I sure wish I had...

Best of luck with it...Lots of pipefitting, steamfitting jobs out there right now and lots more coming...

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talk to your school about the RAP program. This is the registered apprenticeship program. You are like my son at the perfect age for this program. You can pick a trade and try it and get credit for hours. My Son worked the summer of grade 11 and the first semester of grade 12 as an Instrument Tech. Went back for the final semester of school and graduated with a diploma. His first years hours were 90 percent complete, first year Nait in the fall after grad. Worked great for him. Here are some websites: Tradesecrets.gov.ab.ca and

Pm me if this interests you and you want more info.

Good Luck

No place for me to do that. Our town has 350 people, cant afford to travel 60km roundtrip every day. I did work at the autobody shop in town for a spell but that didnt end so well. My boss was an ass and he ripped off my family on a car we bought off him. Ive considered it, but im just gonna do work expericene.

what_next

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You might not be today, but you have a long life ahead of you is all I am saying. What you feel today you likely wont feel the same 10, 20, 30 years from now...

Nothing wrong with a trade either, lots of trades today making more than university grads, but its always nice to have that door open if later in life you changed your mind. I sure wish I had...

Best of luck with it...Lots of pipefitting, steamfitting jobs out there right now and lots more coming...

aint that the truth

and all trades pay more then university degrees..... at first

it has alot to do with where you start off in the ladder as well
you usually have a better chance at supervising and managing with a degree

but without people to do the work, managers have nothing to manage lol

it takes all kinds

Pinner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got my GED @ 45, another guy who wrote with me was also older and had his 3rd class power engineering, most oil companies require gr 12 regardless of your training.

By requiring us guys to get it, sends a message to young guys, this post is exactly the point they are making. ;)

foxrider

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got my GED @ 45, another guy who wrote with me was also older and had his 3rd class power engineering, most oil companies require gr 12 regardless of your training.

By requiring us guys to get it, sends a message to young guys, this post is exactly the point they are making. ;)

I think some of you may have misinterpreted me, im going to finnish highschool. But I wasnt going to get the 30 -1 math course if I didnt have to. But it turns out im gonna get it anyways. I AM GETTING A DIPLOMA. NOT DROPPING OUT

Top Bottom