Eastern Slopes S.S.R.P. (O.H.V.) Meeting May 26, 2016

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
To keep "the general public" informed as to what is happening currently with "coming" Public Land Use Zones (P.L.U.Z.) for the Livingstone and Porcupine areas, I thought I would post this thread. We are currently dealing - in general - with public land between Crowsnest Pass and Kananaskis Country.

A large number of stakeholder groups (environmental, conservation, motorized and non-motorized recreation, land owners) were at a meeting yesterday in Blairmore, which was the second in a series about the coming S.S.R.P. draft plan (expected sometime next year). In particular, the establishment of P.L.U.Z.'s for the Porcupine Hills and Livingstone range/Oldman River drainage on current "Green Space/Public Lands" and their associated "Linear Plan" (how much use the land/animals/plants can sustain based on "science") were dealt with more in-depth coming out of our first meeting.

Bottom line, change is coming for "industry" and motorized recreational users of some sort - major or minor depending on much more information to come and many decisions to be made. The largest complaints about motorized recreational users is trail damage and noise - and at this point I would call them equal.

Enforcement is going to be much enhanced this year compared to two years ago, as there are a total of 15 additional enforcement officers on the ground. If you have not seen them yet, you probably will.

If you want to help all motorized users now, I would suggest if you have a loud, aftermarket exhaust - put it back to stock or find a way to "silence" your current one. Every jurisdiction that has a regulated O.H.V. program has a noise limit on exhaust systems. The vast majority are 96 dB, but a very few are 93dB. Currently, Alberta, is one of the few jurisdictions in N.A. without a regulation - but it is my feeling one is definitely coming.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
and it would be nice to camp at McGILLIVRAY AND ATLAS without the aftermarket pipes,most of them just rip up and down the road at the area just to be jerks, if you do have an aftermarket pipe you can idle out and in, when you get to the trail head then let'r rip

Last edited:

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
To keep "the general public" informed as to what is happening currently with "coming" Public Land Use Zones (P.L.U.Z.) for the Livingstone and Porcupine areas, I thought I would post this thread. We are currently dealing - in general - with public land between Crowsnest Pass and Kananaskis Country.

A large number of stakeholder groups (environmental, conservation, motorized and non-motorized recreation, land owners) were at a meeting yesterday in Blairmore, which was the second in a series about the coming S.S.R.P. draft plan (expected sometime next year). In particular, the establishment of P.L.U.Z.'s for the Porcupine Hills and Livingstone range/Oldman River drainage on current "Green Space/Public Lands" and their associated "Linear Plan" (how much use the land/animals/plants can sustain based on "science") were dealt with more in-depth coming out of our first meeting.

Bottom line, change is coming for "industry" and motorized recreational users of some sort - major or minor depending on much more information to come and many decisions to be made. The largest complaints about motorized recreational users is trail damage and noise - and at this point I would call them equal.

Enforcement is going to be much enhanced this year compared to two years ago, as there are a total of 15 additional enforcement officers on the ground. If you have not seen them yet, you probably will.

If you want to help all motorized users now, I would suggest if you have a loud, aftermarket exhaust - put it back to stock or find a way to "silence" your current one. Every jurisdiction that has a regulated O.H.V. program has a noise limit on exhaust systems. The vast majority are 96 dB, but a very few are 93dB. Currently, Alberta, is one of the few jurisdictions in N.A. without a regulation - but it is my feeling one is definitely coming.

I have attended these meeting with Scott and have to agree changes are coming. I would guess that in the future a very large percentage of current riders will not be happy at the outcome of the SSRP. Its not all gloom and doom though. We will all need to clean up our act. Mudding, muskeg riding, random riding wherever you want to go are just a few things that will change. PLUZs Designated Trails are in the future. No off trail riding at all. Many riders are also looking for these changes because the writing has been on the wall for years now. That time is coming fast and its starting in Southern Alberta. The Quad Squad club is doing great things in their area such as bridging creek crossings and showing responsible use and stewards of their areas. As these regional Plans come to your area you as riders need to be involved NOW on cleaning up the way you use the backcountry. OHV clubs need to be formed and they will be needing members to give them strength in numbers and to do the work. OHVs and snowmobiles, SXS, and motorbikes will all be effected.
Do your part and get involved before its to late.
We will keep you updated as much as we can and lets see how it ends up.

drew562

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But no one has a problem with a can on a sled...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I do. Those cans should be banned too. There's far to many riders these days to have a noisy machine. 20 years go I was the only guy with a quad. Now everyone has 2. 20 yrs ago people lived miles apart. Now there's neighbourhoods with dream homes in nordegg. We have to think differently for any motorsports to survive.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
But no one has a problem with a can on a sled...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I do, and I own one. Before next season I will be spending my money to do my part. When mine went on in 2008 I was in the minority, now it seems I am part of the problem, so I will change, for the greater good of my recreation choice.

Ronaha

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A lot of local places to ride around me have been closed cuz of people not,packing out what they pack in,loud pipes,loud night rides, and also as mentioned way more people living in these areas.....

Top Bottom