Drilling holes in sliders?

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I remember hearing someone talking about drilling holes in sliders. Generally a 1 - 2 hole pattern, about a 1/4" deep. Snow fills the holes, which then turns into ice. It was to help drop the temp of the sliders and clips. Has anyone tried this, with any success? :d

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never heard that one before, but sounds good if it works. But I would think if you are trying to lower your slider temp the snow will not freeze ,as the friction will not allow it, but I donot know for sure.

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've read of guys doing this, mixed revues, if there's snow it works good, if not, dirt gets in the holes and increases track and slider wear. This is all third hand info, I've never tried it.

cey800

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ya, not really sure which side of the fence I'm on with this one yet?

ZRrrr

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is a fellow on Arctic Chat that goes by the name of AG who has done this. He has experimented with different greases injected into the holes and had some interesting results. If you have the time and it' something your serious about, his thread is probably the best I have seen on this idea.

snochuk

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Used to be done by guys racing to give better short term track lubrication.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Could this be, just a case of less area touching, less fricton, less heat?????

rusty

GBCA Member
Reaction score
Could this be, just a case of less area touching, less fricton, less heat?????

Would be the opposite. Less area, more friction,more heat. My biggset worry would be the strength left after the holes were drilled. i've broken a slider and the replacement cost of a rail has me changing the sliders every year.

Billy Boy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If you go to "Doo-Talk" there is a thread on drilling holes in slidders and the person said that he has not had to change slidders in about three years (?) of sledding. Mind you I believe that the person who did this lived in a heavy snow belt area.

Billy Boy:cool:

green momba

Reaction score
I'm with you rusty.I don't think it would be worth your time or the risk of damaging rails.I only run two wheels in my rails and two in my tunnel, I run hyperfax slidders and very rarely put on a set of snow scatchers and never have had any really big heat issues.Just my two cents.

HagmanMod1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with green momba if your worried about heat and sliders not lasting put on hyperfax their more money but they are for a reason they last. i run them on both my sleds, on my pro x 440 we were riding trailes at home last year and the other guys had regular sliders with their scratchers down and when we stoped they actually stuck to the track clips and mine hardley got hot. If in deep snow all the time drilling probably does work but like the other guys said you may get dirt in the holes and then the life would be cut in half or weaken them to the point of breakage. pretty bad way to ruin a ride if you ask me. just my thoughts!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I agree with green momba if your worried about heat and sliders not lasting put on hyperfax their more money but they are for a reason they last. i run them on both my sleds, on my pro x 440 we were riding trailes at home last year and the other guys had regular sliders with their scratchers down and when we stoped they actually stuck to the track clips and mine hardley got hot. If in deep snow all the time drilling probably does work but like the other guys said you may get dirt in the holes and then the life would be cut in half or weaken them to the point of breakage. pretty bad way to ruin a ride if you ask me. just my thoughts!

Good comments by all. I wanted to add that if you are running in very little snow conditions, drilling them out to make them last is contradictory to what is needed - why would you remove material to make them last longer? If you are running in deep snow all the time, I see the theory behind it (ice build up and less friction on the sliders) for that one, a guy would just have to try it.

For me, I don't run expensive sliders like hyperfax, I just use my scratchers. If the snow conditions are hard or thin enough to burn my sliders, there isn't enough snow to cool the motor either IMO. I only run one set of idlers at the rail curve and the two rear wheels (4 total). I haven't burnt a set of sliders in two seasons, probably can get 2 more out of them.

You can try going REALLLLLLLY fast to cool your motor, but you're still probably going to melt the sliders (unless you go fast enough to keep the track off the ground :) But you have to be going fast enough to clear the biggest cross ditch or bump, otherwise you get to taste your kidneys - so of you will know what I'm talking about :D)

kennyblatz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i did it on my sleds, used something like a 1/4 inch bit and a 2-3 pattern i think not going all the way through. sliders were good for at least 5 years of high mileage riding. for snowcross some guys would flip the sled over and fill the holes with a soap/water mix let it freeze so during the race the soap would melt and reduce friction.
that was never going to change weather i won a race or not but in everyday riding the holes would be filled with packed snow so i guess it helps.

will it help yeah maybe, will it hurt or cost you anything i don't think so, so might as well

Pack Mule

Reaction score
Driller 1/8 holes 1" apart staggard down the slides on my 04 King Cat- Still have stock sliders and we ride about 25 to 30 times a season

Just my $0.02

Top Bottom