dodge cummins questions....

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell, we are going to golden from red deer with 3 guys and 3/4 sleds with a 5.9 cummins and I will let you know how we do on fuel.

Yes we are:d, and I'm running 305 tires which throws of the speedo/od out about 8% compared to the GPS so we'll figure it out. It's also a 6speed standard so should be a little better.

smokindiesel

Reaction score
30 mpg is achiveable with a 5.9 cummins. I run 27mpg empty with my truck, but i have a lot of mods. On a 04 truck you may have a 305hp or 325hp engine, 04 was a changeover year. I wouldn't start playin with gears, put some 34 inch tires on if anything. Your money would be best spent on power adders. Power adders will give you more power and give you better millage, if you don't drive it hard. I would recomend a AFE intake, S and B is cheaper, but won't flow like an AFE. Also change the exhaust. If you have the 325 motor you already have 4 inch exhuast so just take the cat out and get a high flow muffler put in. If you have the 305hp motor get a MBRP 4 inch turbo back system. Intakes and exhuast seam to be okay with the dealers. Now a tuner with give you big gains. Diablo sport works okay but the dealer can pick them up, trust me i've had that issuse with my girlfriends 06. I highly recomend you get a smarty tunner. When you pull the tune out no one will be able to tell it was in there. Smartys work very well. And if you still want to get a bit better millage put a FASS lift pump in, i picked up 3 MPG with one in my 01 dodge.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Cyle, I have a tough time believing that your dad got over 25 MPG with a full size diesel pickup, Is your dad driving a jetta?

05 Dodge ram 2500 4x4 QC LB auto. Was just one of those trucks that got great MPG. Mind you it was only going about 110. It is 20.5 MPG or so, your doing canadian MPG. And even that, many trucks stock will see it if you keep your foot out of it. Stock my 04 would get 850km to 120L fill up in the city with a decent amount of idling.

If you plan to get ANY warranty work done, and you don't know someone high up at the dealer very well, don't even put bigger tires on it or you'll have to take them to court to get ANY major warranty work. When I took my truck to the dealer for an alignment the first word out of the service writers mouth was "your not actually expecting any warranty work are you?" And even though I just was getting an alignment it cleared stated on my bill NO WARRANTY WORK. I didn't hide my mods I didn't care, I know if anything major goes I will be sueing Chrysler to get it fixed, and i've yet to find a dodge dealer that has a diesel mechanic that knows ANYTHING about these engines.

And really, the only major problems you might see are injectors (mostly a 06 problem), and the lift pump unless you've got a 05 were it is in the tank. Other then that the motors are pretty dang bulletproof. And I can tell you right now if you need a new engine, you'll have to sue chrysler to get it, even if your truck is 100% stock.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30 mpg is achiveable with a 5.9 cummins. I run 27mpg empty with my truck, but i have a lot of mods. On a 04 truck you may have a 305hp or 325hp engine, 04 was a changeover year. I wouldn't start playin with gears, put some 34 inch tires on if anything. Your money would be best spent on power adders. Power adders will give you more power and give you better millage, if you don't drive it hard. I would recomend a AFE intake, S and B is cheaper, but won't flow like an AFE. Also change the exhaust. If you have the 325 motor you already have 4 inch exhuast so just take the cat out and get a high flow muffler put in. If you have the 305hp motor get a MBRP 4 inch turbo back system. Intakes and exhuast seam to be okay with the dealers. Now a tuner with give you big gains. Diablo sport works okay but the dealer can pick them up, trust me i've had that issuse with my girlfriends 06. I highly recomend you get a smarty tunner. When you pull the tune out no one will be able to tell it was in there. Smartys work very well. And if you still want to get a bit better millage put a FASS lift pump in, i picked up 3 MPG with one in my 01 dodge.

Umm i've got to pull the BS flag, how do you believe a lift pump gets better MPG? :nono: And second of all, I would highly reccomend staying AWAY from fass, air dog is much quieter and more relieable. And the Smarty isn't undectable NO programmer is, EVERY programmers is tracable if you know how to find it. And if you run any kind of programmer you need gauges or a monitor for EGT's and boost and the 48RE won't last long before it needs a rebuild if you do much with a programmer.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i had a couple cummins and yeah i hit 27mpg going down the hill into golden realisticly u will get 19 to 20 mpg i had an 05 cummins and be very careful what u do for programmers i had the edge with additude the worst programmer out there they run very hot egts i had the bd supersingle turbo 5 inch exhaust afe fire blade intake k&n cold air kit and more yeah made lots of hp but cost me $30000 dollars as it melted the engine down chitt the tranny out had to put new motor in so i suggest if it isnt broke dont fuggg with it and if u to u will PAY TO PLAY well that my 2 cents seems like the new cummins arnt as strong as the good old 12 valves:d

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
well i had a couple cummins and yeah i hit 27mpg going down the hill into golden realisticly u will get 19 to 20 mpg i had an 05 cummins and be very careful what u do for programmers i had the edge with additude the worst programmer out there they run very hot egts i had the bd supersingle turbo 5 inch exhaust afe fire blade intake k&n cold air kit and more yeah made lots of hp but cost me $30000 dollars as it melted the engine down chitt the tranny out had to put new motor in so i suggest if it isnt broke dont fuggg with it and if u to u will PAY TO PLAY well that my 2 cents seems like the new cummins arnt as strong as the good old 12 valves:d

My guess is you put the Edge on and all this other stuff and has no gauges to monitor everything and decided to push the truck VERY hard, or had a trailer in tow when it happened? Anyone could tell you it was going to happen, the only place to put the blame is on the driver. I have a Edge juice on my truck, they don't run any hotter then anything else out there. The smarty maybe a bit less depending on the program as it gives you more choice on exactly what you want to run. You can run 1450F sustained for a few minutes and not harm the engine, many people peg 1600F gauges without harming the engine, to melt it down takes a LOT.

And $30000 for a engine and tranny? Maybe if you go to Dodge and get absolutely everything including Turbo, ECM EVERYTHING crate. But realistly you can replace a 5.9 with labour for under $10,000 pretty easy. And a tranny shouldn't cost more then about $5,000 to get it done and hold some serious power.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
iam not here to fight about what trucks better no i wasnt towing anything and the edge with additude comes with the monitor that tells u your boost egts tranny slip and so on thats with the front end falling apart at 100000km and a buch of other things that wet wrong i just got a lemon oh well its gone now haaaa

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i guess its a misconception that these trucks can be fast fun and reliable machines then.

thats to bad. my friend has over 180,000km on a 100hp tune intake and exhuast in his f-350 and goin strong...

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Starting to look like the normal MPG thread on DTR/TDR. Hard to seperate the wheat from the chaff sometimes.
I know my second gen 24 Valve will only get about 12 loaded and 18 or so empty. I've got RV275 injectors that are probably one of the best for mileage also.

Cyle, good catch on the MPG, I did use Canuck gallons.
Be careful with the Pyro numbers, you can melt at lower temps than you think. A 1/4 mile sprint spiking to 1600F is a lot different than 1250F for 15 minutes pulling 20K over a hill, especially if your chip adds timing.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so i guess its a misconception that these trucks can be fast fun and reliable machines then.

thats to bad. my friend has over 180,000km on a 100hp tune intake and exhuast in his f-350 and goin strong...

O they are. I have ran a 100+HP tune for over a year now without issue. But you MUST monitor boost, egt. Fuel pressure and rail pressure become good ideas if you plan to get big power. The only problems i've had is my clutch is gone at 135,000km, but 37" tires and a programmer are some of my driving style is hard on it. I've had to replace both axle shaft u-joints and one on the rear driveshaft, other then that the drivetain is still original and tight.

Guys melting motors is VERY uncommon and EXTREMELY hard to do. I have ran the highest tunes on 2 programmers and done plently of WOT runs and I have never seen over 1350 EGT's (which is still easily in the safe margin). You can run the CR at 1350F all day long and not hurt it.

2nd gen trucks can't take the same EGT's the newer ones can, the common rail motors run hotter all the time. And yes most MPG numbers range a ton for some reason for many reasons, I think many people go off the lie-o-meter overhead which is a big part of it.

Gotboost i'd still like to know what you seen for EGT, boost etc when your motor melted, was your probe pre or post turbo, etc? There isn't many people melting a CR motor without a heavy trailer, a big programmer (or 2) and a very heavy foot.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
iam not here to fight about what trucks better no i wasnt towing anything and the edge with additude comes with the monitor that tells u your boost egts tranny slip and so on thats with the front end falling apart at 100000km and a buch of other things that wet wrong i just got a lemon oh well its gone now haaaa

The thing about the front ends a lot of people don't realize is how big and heavy the cummins is compared to the powerstroke or duramax. If you put it in a ford of gm, their front ends wouldn't last ANYTIME. Some people have front end problems with dodges yes, but most see pretty good miles. But if you drive the truck hard the heavy motor will pound out the front end in no time. And the thing is, front ends are cheap, a lot cheaper then trying to keep a duramax or powerstroker from falling apart.

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use to run 50 pounds of boost had the arp studs in the heads my probe was pre turbo and if i put my foot down i could hit 1750 on the egts in 2 lenghts of the truck i just dont know i think the guy that built my engine did something 2 it he passed away just after he built it so i couldnt ask an questions about it the engine never ran good after and i put that steering stabalizer bar on the steering box that seem to help the front end out i had a bunch of people tell me 2005 is the worst year for the cummins and iam thinkg there right i did trade the truck off and now i drive a 09 superduty i love it so far but thats my opion:d

gotboost

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
haaaa yup half to drive them all :d:d:d:d as u can see iam not brand loyal

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i use to run 50 pounds of boost had the arp studs in the heads my probe was pre turbo and if i put my foot down i could hit 1750 on the egts in 2 lenghts of the truck i just dont know i think the guy that built my engine did something 2 it he passed away just after he built it so i couldnt ask an questions about it the engine never ran good after and i put that steering stabalizer bar on the steering box that seem to help the front end out i had a bunch of people tell me 2005 is the worst year for the cummins and iam thinkg there right i did trade the truck off and now i drive a 09 superduty i love it so far but thats my opion:d

Yea something had to of been wrong. 05 is not a bad year, anything 03-07 is a good year. The only problem 05's had were plastic ends on the intercooler and if you ran to much boost you could blow them off, but the motor is bulletproof.

Yea Dodge to Ford, that's like going from a doo to a cat! Wait I did that but I came back when I realized what kind of mistake I made :p And my buddy is about to make the worst mistake, doo to poo :eek:

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hahaha. so what are some thoughts on the 6.7....aparently they did some work on the auto transmissions? they put out more torque than the manual version

08summit

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
05 Dodge ram 2500 4x4 QC LB auto. Was just one of those trucks that got great MPG. Mind you it was only going about 110. It is 20.5 MPG or so, your doing canadian MPG. And even that, many trucks stock will see it if you keep your foot out of it. Stock my 04 would get 850km to 120L fill up in the city with a decent amount of idling.

If you plan to get ANY warranty work done, and you don't know someone high up at the dealer very well, don't even put bigger tires on it or you'll have to take them to court to get ANY major warranty work. When I took my truck to the dealer for an alignment the first word out of the service writers mouth was "your not actually expecting any warranty work are you?" And even though I just was getting an alignment it cleared stated on my bill NO WARRANTY WORK. I didn't hide my mods I didn't care, I know if anything major goes I will be sueing Chrysler to get it fixed, and i've yet to find a dodge dealer that has a diesel mechanic that knows ANYTHING about these engines.

And really, the only major problems you might see are injectors (mostly a 06 problem), and the lift pump unless you've got a 05 were it is in the tank. Other then that the motors are pretty dang bulletproof. And I can tell you right now if you need a new engine, you'll have to sue chrysler to get it, even if your truck is 100% stock.
I think you should try some different dealers...I have had an 04,06 and now have a 08 3500 Ram and they have all been lifted and I run a cold air Intake and a programmer and have yet to have any problems getting warranty work. I've had front end work done to all 3 trucks, Replaced a rear-end in 1 and 2 transmissions and my mods were never mentioned. I deal with Derrick Dodge where they lift and mod alot of there trucks from new so maybe thats why I haven't had any issues there....Just saying a lift should in no way void your warranty if you have a good dealer.

Cyle

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think you should try some different dealers...I have had an 04,06 and now have a 08 3500 Ram and they have all been lifted and I run a cold air Intake and a programmer and have yet to have any problems getting warranty work. I've had front end work done to all 3 trucks, Replaced a rear-end in 1 and 2 transmissions and my mods were never mentioned. I deal with Derrick Dodge where they lift and mod alot of there trucks from new so maybe thats why I haven't had any issues there....Just saying a lift should in no way void your warranty if you have a good dealer.

I haven't tried derrick for warranty and won't. I took a previous truck there and they proved to me then their mechanics know absolutely nothing. They also are just as bad for denying warranty. When I looked up the history of my brothers truck derrick denied to replace 2 injectors....because the air filter was dirty. Yes because a dirty air filter has anything to do with injectors :rolleyes: Even though 06's are known for eating injectors badly.

I haven't really tried to get anything done, the minor things i've had to do I do myself. I don't trust anyone working on my truck, when I get an alignment I watch them like a hawk. But my dad over the years has had problems on 100% stock trucks and nothing but issues. Derrick couldn't figure out how to do a proper tranny service and destroyed the transmission.

To put it short and blunt the 6.7 is a electronic POS that never should of made it into a production truck. The new 6 speed auto is pretty nice with the exhaust brake but still doesn't know what gear to be in. Yea the G56 were derated, my guess is largely because dodge didn't want to pony up the money to put a heavier clutch in from the factory to take it, as the stock clutches in previous years are marginal at best.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Maxwell, just got back last night from golden with 04 cummins 5.9 and we did 878km total and it cost us 141.00 canadian dollars LOL. It worked out to about 14.3 miles to the gallon, and that was 2 sleds on deck and 1 on double ski-doo trailer. That was running 110-117 and rpm was also at about
2050. So we split 3 ways so 47 bucks each to go there and back and had a great day sledding...........

Summitric

SUPER COOL MOD & Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Website
www.bumpertobumper.ca
hey maxwell, just got back last night from golden with 04 cummins 5.9 and we did 878km total and it cost us 141.00 canadian dollars lol. It worked out to about 14.3 miles to the gallon, and that was 2 sleds on deck and 1 on double ski-doo trailer. That was running 110-117 and rpm was also at about
2050. So we split 3 ways so 47 bucks each to go there and back and had a great day sledding...........

878 kms to golden and back to st. Albert?? Your numbers not matching up..... Golden more like 1200kms to and from st.albert.....?????

Top Bottom