dodge cummins questions....

99summitx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Maxwell, just got back last night from golden with 04 cummins 5.9 and we did 878km total and it cost us 141.00 canadian dollars LOL. It worked out to about 14.3 miles to the gallon, and that was 2 sleds on deck and 1 on double ski-doo trailer. That was running 110-117 and rpm was also at about
2050. So we split 3 ways so 47 bucks each to go there and back and had a great day sledding...........

You must have had to use all your fingers and toes to figure that out lol I think we would have gotten well over 15 but had a bad head wind from Calgary to Canmore, $50 Red Deer to Dead Mans and $91 Dead Mans to Golden and back to RD

Dean10

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in on this one,

I run a late 2004.5 cummins with all the basic add ons, and it pulls like a champion on the hills out west, with a heavy 4 place enclosed, just set the cruize at 115 and enjoy the drive. Pulls obed summit in O/D, no down shift. You do need to watch the ol' EGT's, they can get up there.

I have no idea how many kms it gets per tank cause i dont let it get below half, and measuring your economy in kms per tank is gay, Its like your wife not knowing the price of gas has gone up because she just puts 20$ every time.

I guess I never really thought about milage too much, if you are rollin a $100k+ rig to the mountains for a few days of sledding, does a few dollars one way or the other on fuel really matter.

Just my 2 cents

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in on this one,

I run a late 2004.5 cummins with all the basic add ons, and it pulls like a champion on the hills out west, with a heavy 4 place enclosed, just set the cruize at 115 and enjoy the drive. Pulls obed summit in O/D, no down shift. You do need to watch the ol' EGT's, they can get up there.

I have no idea how many kms it gets per tank cause i dont let it get below half, and measuring your economy in kms per tank is gay, Its like your wife not knowing the price of gas has gone up because she just puts 20$ every time.

I guess I never really thought about milage too much, if you are rollin a $100k+ rig to the mountains for a few days of sledding, does a few dollars one way or the other on fuel really matter.

Just my 2 cents

no it doesnt i just like to push things to their limit or efficiency and power.

ram4tow

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
no it doesnt i just like to push things to their limit or efficiency and power.

well so far im running a 06 cummins with stock injectors,stock turbo

i have an array of programmers that i have collected lol hypertech , diablo sport predator, diablo sport puck ( module) smarty tnt, and bully dog triple dog with the crazy larry file loaded in.

supporting mods,
* full billet transmisson with suncoast internals, billet output,input and intermidiate shafts, and a triple disc billet torque convertor
* stage 2 afe intake system
*mbrp 4" exhaust
*3:73 gear ratio
*35x12.5-20 toyo m/ts - summer
*315-75-17 bfg t/a - winter (junk)

Im got around 800-850 emtpy strictly hwy (115-120 km/h) on my way to vancouver empty. w/whiny 110lb girlfriend ( are we there yet??!!) :rant:

and i got 550km -tank with my enclosed and the deck with 4 sleds total ( blowing a bit of black smoke once in a while)

By far the best thing ive done for milage is getting the transmisson built. the truck is a completely different beast. the factory cummins convertor is so loose and sloppy it loses alot of the efficency (especially with mods) that it allows so much slip. (hence put your foot to the floor and it doesnt wanna kick down)try putting a transmisson temperature guage in and see how hot that trans gets while doing that up a hill!! the cummins is a low end torque monster ( just look at the torque curves) it just has the silly lil half ton worthy 48re holding it back. i have heard good things about the 68re in the 6.7's tho! anyways i'll stop rambling...

Top Bottom