Did done fuctup……

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got an aerocharger turbo and long story short, we took off the V band clamp trying to get at the Vanes to see if there coked up or sticky.

But now the two halves won’t go back together. Suspect the bearings came apart and now she has to come all the way apart.

Does anyone have some insight into this problem and how involved is splitting it to get this fixed?

Or if things really went sideways, does anyone have a entire new areo 66 they want to part with?

oler1234

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Got an aerocharger turbo and long story short, we took off the V band clamp trying to get at the Vanes to see if there coked up or sticky.

But now the two halves won’t go back together. Suspect the bearings came apart and now she has to come all the way apart.

Does anyone have some insight into this problem and how involved is splitting it to get this fixed?

Or if things really went sideways, does anyone have a entire new areo 66 they want to part with?

ohh its going to be alot of fun. ill be really honest here. the bearings are NOT caged. alot of due care and attention will be required.

you can marginaly loosin the clamps to rotate but too much it will not go back.

the good news it wont get any worse for you and your turbo is worth nothing so just go at it slowely and youll get it back together.

you can try aerocharger for support but they pulled the pin a while ago, there just focusing on military products under a different brand. i dont recall the new brand name.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. Im certain I can take it apart and hopefully then reassemble it. I was most trying to find out any special information, or that “wish I would have known that before” tid bits. Or the what ever happens dont do this, kinda thing.

I will just go slow and steady

Pay close attention to whats what

And hopefully all will be well.

CrankShop910

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Only person I know who can repair them is Turbo Doc, Steve Packer in Utah, but I don know if he still is in business..

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Welllll,

I was wrong, this thing seems it may have been willed into existence by a Wizard. I have thus far been defeated in trying to take this thing apart. As far as I have been able to tell the inner races are part of the shaft. The limited diagram I was able to get is of little help, but is better than nothing.
This thing must come apart somehow, but its no easy task.
( it probably is easy if I just knew how).

Attachments

• BD55DB7B-6075-4E1E-A188-011B4DB269DB.jpeg
    BD55DB7B-6075-4E1E-A188-011B4DB269DB.jpeg
    122.2 KB · Views: 172

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Here is what I thought was possibly an external Torx

But E8 doesn’t fit E10 way too big

E9 doesn’t seem to exist.

Managed to get E8 on there, but with heat and a decent bit of torque, nothing. It doesn’t seem that this “nut” comes off.

Attachments

• 634BF222-D29F-45F1-9ED6-BA59C98F893E.jpeg
    634BF222-D29F-45F1-9ED6-BA59C98F893E.jpeg
    437.7 KB · Views: 174

steve s

Reaction score
I kinda remember when Art Sever was taking them apart he slid a sleeve down the shaft to push the balls away from the shaft. It’s been awhile now. He wanted to copy a 6600 aero charger but decided watercraft superchargers was a better year round venture.

SUMMIT TREE

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I got ahold of the Doctor down in Utah. He pretty much said she’s toast. Once you separate the center section from the air side, it releases the spring tension off the inner race allowing the balls to come out. Then if you make any attempt to put it back together you seal its fate of death. It wrecks the race which is part of the shaft. No more parts are available for rebuild. Its a very expensive paper weight at this point.
Today’s lesson

If you have your balls come out unexpectedly and at an inappropriate time, it pretty much is a recipe for trouble. 🤣

Top Bottom