Diabetic

ZIG

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Going to the states for a training coarse. When going on a plane and you are diabetic do u need any special paper for the needles and Epipen?

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife always gets a letter from her doctor. Insulin has a script but test strips and needles for your pen don't.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a letter from my doc that I carry with my insulin and needles and strips. I have never been asked or hassled but time are changing.

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have never had an issue with any of my stuff wether it be pens, needles, strips no one has ever asked or looked farther into it

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
question, what is the best thing for someone to do if a person goes into diabetic shock on a quad ride. we have fellow that always checks, but had an incident where we had to lay him down in the shade, his wife new what to do, think he had a fruit juice and something to eat. on our rides he drinks beer and seems to have no problem. i will have to pull out the first aid book!!!

Last edited:

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Half can of regular pop and something lite to nibble. One can of pop usually has 16 teaspoons of sugar.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There are tablets and powders for such emergency lows. That way you don't have to carry bulky stuff or stuff that freezes.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Half can of regular pop and something lite to nibble. One can of pop usually has 16 teaspoons of sugar.

good pretty much what we have done. give him some time to rest up. he was quite dizzy\wobbly when he went real low. he has no problem if he drinks beer at some of the stops(getting me back on four wheels). i always carry a pop or two, i should be asking everyone if they have any allergies or health problems more, guess we relie on arff too much. although he tends to push a guy out of the trailer lol.
thanks.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
good pretty much what we have done. give him some time to rest up. he was quite dizzy\wobbly when he went real low. he has no problem if he drinks beer at some of the stops(getting me back on four wheels). i always carry a pop or two, i should be asking everyone if they have any allergies or health problems more, guess we relie on arff too much. although he tends to push a guy out of the trailer lol.
thanks.

Alcohol will effect blood sugar.

If he's drinking beer occasional at the sticks then he needs to nibble also.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok i will watch, we stop for lunch, he eats, think he has a sandwich occasionally. Would hard candy also work. Sorry his wife looks after him, i'm just wondering that is all

Mike270412

Golden Boy
Reaction score
thanks.
You rely on arff? No wonder chit goes sideways.

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
question, what is the best thing for someone to do if a person goes into epileptic shock on a quad ride. we have fellow that always checks, but had an incident where we had to lay him down in the shade, his wife new what to do, think he had a fruit juice and something to eat. on our rides he drinks beer and seems to have no problem. i will have to pull out the first aid book!!!

Epileptic shock? That has nothing to do with diabetes. A severe low blood sugar will make them incoherent and sometimes people think they are drunk. Natural sugars work well such as real orange juice. Sweet tarts also work fairly quick as well. If it is severe enough they can go into a diabetic coma.
Be careful coming out the other side as well because when you pump them full of sugar there level can go high so insulin is required.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Epileptic shock? That has nothing to do with diabetes. A severe low blood sugar will make them incoherent and sometimes people think they are drunk. Natural sugars work well such as real orange juice. Sweet tarts also work fairly quick as well. If it is severe enough they can go into a diabetic coma.
Be careful coming out the other side as well because when you pump them full of sugar there level can go high so insulin is required.

Meant diabetic sorry

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok i will watch, we stop for lunch, he eats, think he has a sandwich occasionally. Would hard candy also work. Sorry his wife looks after him, i'm just wondering that is all

Yup, takes longer than a soda though.

Sugar cube, packet of sugar anything that gets in his system fast but don't over doo it.

Puba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
So a half a pop is good then if still functioning? A full pop may be to much,

Go with a half, monitor and use other half sparingly as he's feeling better.

A full pop isn't going to hurt him, you just don't want to shock the **** out of his system too fast is all.

Best if he Carries his meter with him.

Best if you learn how to use it also Larry, it's easy to do.

Top Bottom