Active VIP Member
Reaction score
1232d24df3e5e8bff38ee6bf1f2edce6.jpg

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
341ceb1792f1d8b48c20784a9a934968.jpg

The crawler ...
The defender and the X3 use the same transaxle ... nice to see something overbuilt rather than under built for a change.
If the rear end can handle this power & tires ... the defender should last for ever !

Last edited:

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What is the usual protocol for front and rear tire width? I wouldnt mind putting bigger tires on our defender at some point, just for looks. In the tires that I want though, all you can get is one width. So either a 30x10-14, or a 32x10-14. So all of the tires would be 10" wide, where usually the rears are wider than the fronts.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30 x 10 are pretty standard now. The days of narrower tires on the front are fading away on utvs for sure ....
32 is a big tire , and the line between 32 and 30 is where clearance / fitment/ axles / clutching need to be assessed in more detail.
You may need forward a arms for the defender ( not sure ) for 30s ..
But a 30 is a nice size tire with enough traction / capacity/ ground clearance for most of the bigger sxs's.
And they fit on stock rims ....( most often 14")

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Maverick came with 30x9x14 all around

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
30 x 10 are pretty standard now. The days of narrower tires on the front are fading away on utvs for sure ....
32 is a big tire , and the line between 32 and 30 is where clearance / fitment/ axles / clutching need to be assessed in more detail.
You may need forward a arms for the defender ( not sure ) for 30s ..
But a 30 is a nice size tire with enough traction / capacity/ ground clearance for most of the bigger sxs's.
And they fit on stock rims ....( most often 14")

I was at Gibons Motorsports on Friday and they had a defender in there with a 2" lift and 30" out backs and they fit.

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's good to know ... I had heard you need forward a arms , but that might be just heresay ....
Be a beast with them on ...

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
That's good to know ... I had heard you need forward a arms , but that might be just heresay ....
Be a beast with them on ...

I guess it would depend on rim offset also.
The biggest thing I don't like about them is the clearance is bad! They had a stock on sitting on the show room floor and it was only 8" at most, that was the out side plastic where you get in and out of the machine. It would be hung up easy

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^
Then add the extra weight of passengers,cargo and mud trapped in machine.
They are all under sprung IMO .

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes need at least 30's and a 2 inch lift to go anywhere ...
I have never looked one over closely to be honest . I was surprised at how much they share from the x3 though...

Waiting for a canam X3 general type machine ...
The new commander 2:0

LennyR

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes need at least 30's and a 2 inch lift to go anywhere ...
I have never looked one over closely to be honest . I was surprised at how much they share from the x3 though...

Waiting for a canam X3 general type machine ...
The new commander 2:0

You sure talk like you know what they're all about , considering , as you say , you haven't looked closely at them. Talk first , learn second ???? Seems backwards .

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It's a canam vtwin, visco lok.X3 transaxle ...
nothing new or groundbreaking , there are thousands of machines out with a combination of these components ..
Mavs
Commanders
& now defenders ...

Not hard to figure out ..
For most of us ...
That is .
But then if it was any one but me .. you would not of made such a simple comment ..obviously.

Btw it's my day off , scoot over and badger Maxwell for a while .. he is on shift today ...

Last edited:

beerwolf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have 29x9x14's on mine. I should have gone 10's all around but oh well.
I think it depends on what tire you run on these things but 30's is as big as you can go and you may need to heat the well a bit on the drivers side to avoid full turn rub.
The 29's I have measure 27

rzrgade

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Talking to local dealer ,a lot of oilfield guys switching from ranger to defender.
Company's very concerned over liabilities with all the recalls ....
He says sales are way better than he would of ever thought ...!

deaner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
We have been extremely happy with our defender so far. Seems to be opening up now that we are getting a few miles on it. Its unreal how much better the fit and finish is over our ranger. And so bloody smooth

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Having a hard time keeping them in stock. We are sold into our June deliveries already and not any dealers that will transfer them out. They are the real deal.

Top Bottom