Decks vs Enclosed Trailers

Scotty

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Enclosed. Nothing better than pulling into a nice warm trailer at the end of the day and yaking with the boys about the days ride. Propane heated or electric heater (if you have power). Nice and cozy :d Nice to wrench in as well.

Zar

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
3/4 diesel or 1/2t gas ??? That is like asking if you want Crown Royal or Gibsons Finest
There is no comparison. If you are thinking 4 place go with the diesel

Gibsons Finest hands down. I don't think a 1/2 T gas will handle a 4 place ( loaded). Need the low end torque ( 1500 to 2000 RPM's ) to pull it comfortably. The only way is if the 1/2T has 4:10 axle gears. Some 1/2T gas do have this ratio but not common in a 1/2 T.

jay007

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I wish I had the $$$ for an enclosed, just bought an open 2 place yesterday....think I got a good deal - aluminum 8.5 x 10 tilt $1395 NEW.

Scuba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 28ft enclosed and I wouldn't have it any other way I've owned 2 marathon decks which were very nice, but now with the trailer there is no going back, diesel is a must when pulling it's heavy with 4 sleds in it, I get about 10-11 mpg with my 07 duramax LMM at 115-120 kph, but having a tool box, cabinets, lights etc....and planning on getting a heater in it this year, I would suggest one to anyone.

tohigh

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i have had 2 place open, 16ft enclosed, 28ft enclosed, and i do like my deck the best,more weight on the truck on the good roads to the hills,better in spring trailer,had good points as well, seemed to sit in the trailer a little to much:beer: its all good

J_E_SUMMIT

RIP, Fallen Sledder
Reaction score
I go into a few places where it would be impossible to turn a 4place trailer around and even 2place rigs have to be turned around by hand. Some of these places are unmaintained and you need the weight of atleast one sled just to get in. Thats why I use a deck for up to two sleds, and add a two place trailer when it is absolutly needed.

papajake

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
have used my homemade deck for years last year took it off to replace decking and build new ramp never got it done so i used my 2 place open trailer what a pain to pull with no weight in the back of truck even in 4 w/drive if the trailer is in deep snow your stuck decks finished also the nice thing about a deck is the storage and lock the tailgate we have had to drive up to10k on logging roads to unload no way would i pull a 4 place up the roads are narrow and unplowed

Jake

Reaction score
Pulled an open 2 place last winter, going back to the deck this winter. More convienient, don't have to deal with the trailer. You can Lock your stuff in the truck box. Trailer seems to hold the truck back, you can feel it behind you, the deck you don't notice, except for the smooth ride with the sleds on. Traction and manuverability are great with the deck. Amazing how much snow you can plow though with the deck on.

canuck5

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Deck in the spring enclosed when you can sled from the bottom staging areas. My 2 cents.

green momba

Reaction score
I had a marathon deck, it was great, light and good for those hard to get areas sold it and bought a 28' aluminum inclosed loved it but hard to find parking, impossible to drive up trails and everyone and there dog wants to borrow it or get a free ride. The best would be a enclosed deck, is there such a thing?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I had a marathon deck, it was great, light and good for those hard to get areas sold it and bought a 28' aluminum inclosed loved it but hard to find parking, impossible to drive up trails and everyone and there dog wants to borrow it or get a free ride. The best would be a enclosed deck, is there such a thing?
the snowmobile club up in High Level (Watt Mountain Wanderers) have a cube van deal that can haul a couple sleds, looks very bulky tho and prolly uses a lot of fuel to get around. not to mention that it isn't very practical for anything else other than hauling sleds.

I wonder if one of those clamshell type covers for a 2 place trailer would fit on top of a deck...

keno

Reaction score
enclosed all the way i have a 4 place open and your toys are allways dirty and full of salt or mud when you get to your play aera.:rant:

willhickey

Reaction score
Enclosed all the way. The only thing that you need with pulling a trailer with alot of weight is chains. I never thought that we would use them since we have 4x4, however we are mostly in Revelstoke and pulling the pass or comming out of field, we have used them a few times already. We have a 27ft steal frame trailer. It's heavy but we love being able to put cars or whatever in it. Plus with a 1 ton it doesn't matter on milage

Haggis

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anyone done a deck with a clam shell top - could see loading being a bit tricky.

TheRedDragon

Reaction score
I have a deck, 2 place open, and just bought a 4 place enclosed and they all seems to have there strong points. I agree with Canuck, when there is lots of room and parking, you can't beat the enclosed. I havn't been sledding for too long but all my buddies tell me they are just too many times where a four place, and even a two place can't get you in. I know one thing, I like the weight on the back of the truck, so no matter where I go, I always take an extra sled on the truck, just for the weight.

pipes

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What would you prefer?
Right now I'm at the point where I need another deck or should I just buck up and buy a trailer. I know there are pro's and cons to each but considering fuel cost's and versatility what would most of us want?
I like my deck, spring time it's great, drive thru's work, parking easier, but unloading with no reverse is a pain, and so is getting my gear out from under the deck, and gearing up or down kinda sucks!
A trailer tho I could heat it, change in it, sleds are cleaner, and have a tasty beverage in it! Work on the machines, store them in it for summer, kinda endless the pro's for one. Bad things are parking, fuel mileage, cost of buying.
So help me make up my mind! thanks:beer:

I have to agree with everything you said. fuel milage not too bad if pulling with a diesel. 4 place trailer 4 people split the fuel bill. Thats how we work it

Top Bottom