D8 Recall

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Revy. Along with the update I also installed the SLP single pipe, intake, and clutching. It flat out rips! I couldn’t be happier with how it ran. Coolant temperatures on the trail were steady at 48-52 degrees C. I varied the RPM’s but I didn’t see any signs of a temperature spike. So far very promising. Time will tell if it holds together.

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got back from Revy. Along with the update I also installed the SLP single pipe, intake, and clutching. It flat out rips! I couldn’t be happier with how it ran. Coolant temperatures on the trail were steady at 48-52 degrees C. I varied the RPM’s but I didn’t see any signs of a temperature spike. So far very promising. Time will tell if it holds together.

Great info ! could you feel a difference in power with the update ? is the bog issue gone in the midreange ? I just spoke to my dealer and they were in Blue River this weekend and saw an 09 D8 with the update that was down with a burnt out ECM. they mentioned that they have seen 2 go down this way out of 89 sleds they sold. has anyone else heard of this Issue ?

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Great info ! could you feel a difference in power with the update ? is the bog issue gone in the midreange ? I just spoke to my dealer and they were in Blue River this weekend and saw an 09 D8 with the update that was down with a burnt out ECM. they mentioned that they have seen 2 go down this way out of 89 sleds they sold. has anyone else heard of this Issue ?

Definite increase in power, but most of that would be attributed to the SLP pipe. Unfortunately I never had a chance to ride the updated engine without the pipe. I never had the mid-range bog, so I can’t comment on that.

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Well, we had an issue with 2 dragons this weekend in Revy. Tried to ride Boulder on Friday, pulled sleds out of the trailer and after warming up both sleds, then shutting them down, we got geared up in the trailer. Went to start up sleds and both of them flooded, would not start, hard to pull over as more fuel was being pumped in, crank was full of fuel along with the pipe. Ended up pulling the air box and pulling the fuel filter connection off. Pulled sled over a few times and it would start up and run until the fuel was burnt off. Re-installed fuel filter and airbox, sled would start up with a quick hard pull. Ran up and down the trail a few km's & shut it down....would not start back up. Had to pull the filter everytime we stopped. When sled was running it was strong, did a compression test in Boulder parking lot, and was 100 psi on each cylinder. Rode Frisby on Saturday 70kms and sled would start everytime on it's own but usually after 8 pulls with the throttle pinned. Sleds are going back to the dealer to get looked at. Did a shop test at lunch today. Sled started...pulled it out of the trailer....let it warm up to 58 C then shut it down. Would not start back up...still flooding itself. So we unplugged the electric fuel pump plug (above the airbox ) and pulled the sled over and it would start and burnt the remaining fuel. Plugged the fuel pump plug back together, and would need quick pull on the rope to fire it up. If you pulled it over half azz slow it would flood itself again and have to re-do the above steps.

May help someone if stranded one day, as this shiat happened on Friday the 13 on us.

buckshot

Reaction score
I wonder if that might be attributed to all the extra oil in the system...sounds like the injectors were not doing a good job.

Sledtillded

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When you talk to your dealer and they have a look at the sleds please post here to let us all know what the issue was. Thanks

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Should know later this week. Sounds like it may be the TPS. Will post when I found out 100%

hilinerider

Reaction score
my 08 d8 would act up but not flood like this now and then, a trick i read on the forums was to shut of the key and pull a couple then turn it back on to reset the ecm, never flooded it, at times when heat soaked i would have to pin it to the bar to start, but not often enough to get excited about, it was still running the original setup with 1500 miles and never touched til the recall here a month ago

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Looks like my Boondocker box has something to do with. Cold start no problem, but when warm and starting it's dumping the fuel to it. All fuel settings on the box where at zero. Dealer pulled the boxes off and tested again, with no issues what so ever. There re-setting the TPS again and sending it home. Anyone else having flooding issues with Boondocker nitrous kit's ?

Dragonrider

Reaction score
So did they give you any more info on what the Boondocker Control Box was doing to the new fuel flash? I have a NOS kit installed ran good all last year took the sled for the recall they Zeroed the TPS and Changed out the fuel filter. I'm wondering if I'll have any issues. I'm also curious how were you running your boonedocker box what mod, ie. "nos on the button" "nos on the throttle position" "nos on the RPM"? I can see were if you were running on the throttle or RPM it would give you trouble. But if you were on the button the box only changes the fuel ratio when the button is engaged so that sounds wierd to me and if the box was set at zero thats really weird. I'd like the know how you have yours set up and if both sleds that you mentioned that had problems with were they both equiped with BD NOS kits/Boxes?

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Both sleds have Boondocker boxes on them. Both are set up on the button. I'm sure when the dealer does the reflash, the boxes are still hooked up. No reason to unhook them I guess. The previous reflash didn't affect anything. Waiting to here back from Boondocker on info.

hecks

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Boondocker box IS the reason for flooding. Unplugged it thiws weekend on the hill and no flooding issues.

nutma

Reaction score
I'm also having problems starting mine after riding it for awhile it is hard to start. Have to really pull hard and sometimes pull hard and hold it to the pin to have any chance of it starting. I talked to scott at mountain toys and he thinks it might be a leaking injector that is slowly flooding it. Waiting on a reply from polaris to see if they have seen this problem yet. Starts good when cold though and great power on the rebuild. Besides starting issue i have nothing but good things to say about this sled.:d
Sled is stock besides SLP can on it.
Any other ideas on what it might be?
Thanks Greg

bigdawg

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For all you guys running Fuel boxes they have to be reflashed aswell, My Turbo Dragon has NOT yet gone in for update, But when it does I have to send my Fuel box back to have it reflashed to be compatible with the new updates from Polaris......

BD

buckshot

Reaction score
We've been riding for the past 4 days at 5000' to 7000'. The weather is about 18F in the morning here and this sled is very hard starting and requires holding 1/4 throttle or it won't start. At elevation I am finding about 25% of the time I try start the engine warm I need throttle also....why on an efi we need to use throttle at all??? Pre update this was never the case. In our group we have 4 dragons (2-08's and 2-09's) and everyone is finding a lack of power from pre-update. Last year we were all using the stock weights (62g) with out issue. We are pulling anywhere from 7750-8000rpms at elevation, in my mind a little under where they should be. 2 sleds are using 60g and the other 2 are down to 58g...my 08 600 swb at elevation is running 58g weights. (THIS MEANS TO ME LOWER HP AT ELEVATION THEN LAST YEAR ) This update seems to pull hard at lower elevations (2500-3000') but once we climb up to elevation it is sh?t. I WISH I DID NOT GET THE UPDATE!!!! it was running ok with the last new engine.

buckshot

Reaction score
BTW the new M8's kill our dragons with the same riders...these things rock!!! I would change in a heartbeat.

ducati

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My dads new Dragon stutters in mid range, like ignition cuts out. Squeeze throttle a bit more and it runs really well. Anyone had this issue?

T-BO

Reaction score
Had the motor sieze on my PG turbo D8 today.

First ride with all the updates completed. Rode 30k up to renshaw varying the throttle and making sure my 02 readings were safe all the time. Had a couple temp spikes but didnt think anything of it, just tried to run on the edge of the trail in a little more powder. Temp spikes never occoured again after that and I burnt a whole tank of fuel in renshaw. Coming down the trail back to the truck and the sled started sputtering and died, siezed. Let it cool down, restarted and drove the pos the last couple km's to the trailer.

Don't do the update!!!!

I was also having hard starting problems all day.

Top Bottom