CVIP's on Pick-Up Trucks

weldor

Reaction score
I'm sure there must be tons of guys that are in the same scenario as myself. If you own a pick-up truck and have it registered in Alberta as a commercial vehicle and it is registered over 4500 kg's it requires a Commercial Vehicle Inspection (CVIP) if it is to leave the province. I was wondering how many other guys who run their trucks into BC have them inspected (Most 3/4 ton trucks now have a GWV rating more then 4500 kg's). I just had my new GMC Dually inspected yesterday as I do not want any problems with BC's recent crack downs on trucks/trailers. Anyone else have their pick-ups inspected, or has anyone have or have not had any problems if they got pulled over or checked at a check stop???

LBZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Getting the CVIP done was a smart move!!

If I'm not mistaken, if it's commercially registered and over 4500kg GVWR, not only does it need a CVIP, you also have to run a log book in Alberta!! I quit working in Canada shortly before the law changed in this area and I used to drive an F-450 with a service body. Never had a problem. Talking to my buddies and now with the same sized truck they have to stop at scales, and basically follow the same laws as the big rigs do even though they dont have airbrakes which includes log books!!

The only guys I have heard getting grief in BC are those with 3/4 tons hauling flare stacks and loaded tri-axle trailers that exceed their GVWR. But I'm sure the targeting of other vehicles with commercial plates/registration there is coming.......

weldor

Reaction score
Yea I should probably get a log book too. I know you don't need to use one if you are in a 90km radius of your home base. Most of my work is around home so I won't need one most of the time. But the trips into BC and such I will. I will for sure have to stop at the scales. Does anyone know where you get log books at???

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yea I should probably get a log book too. I know you don't need to use one if you are in a 90km radius of your home base. Most of my work is around home so I won't need one most of the time. But the trips into BC and such I will. I will for sure have to stop at the scales. Does anyone know where you get log books at???

one thing to remember with BC and log books, if your pulled over not only do you have to supply your current day in the log book, but you MUST provide your previous 14 days as well. If you dont, its an automatic 72 hour suspension. If you only plan on running your log book in BC, you better plan in advance.

duramaxdan

Reaction score
U can find log books at most gas stations. I run the 612 log book it has a daily inspection at the bottom which u will aslo need weather or not u go out side your home base. U will also have to prove that u dont go out of your home base which is a pain in the but so i just fill one out everyday seems easier in the end. i recommend u go to a log book course so u know how to fill one out correctly. Its really not rocket science but one little mistake and u get a ticket for incomplete logbook so all the work your doing is out the window because u forgot some thing little and it cost u a couple hundred dollars.

Cat4Ever

Reaction score
If you leave the province with your truck you will become a federal carrier and will be required to run a logbook all the time.

DRD

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Our safety guy brought up the possability of getting into this mess even with the 1/2 tons pulling trailers as you could be over 4500kg combined, commercially registered trucks only of course.

Scrambled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Im in BC,my truck is insured as a comercail vehicle with a gvw of 8000 kg,Im not required to have a log book or inspectoin,on my trailer its inspected once a year,thats it.

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Trav, when I got my new single wheel 3500 in March, I mistakenly registered it commercially for the gvw on the door which was 4,562 kg, even though I'll never reach that weight. A week later I got a letter from the Alberta Gov. explaining the whole inspection thing and letter of clearance required to take it out of Alberta. I went back to Registries and re- registered my truck for 4,490 kg. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

Cat4Ever

Reaction score
If your truck is reg as commercial in either BC or Alberta if you leave the province you will then be a federal carrier, and required to run a log book in any vehicle over 4500 kg.

weldor

Reaction score
Im in BC,my truck is insured as a comercail vehicle with a gvw of 8000 kg,Im not required to have a log book or inspectoin,on my trailer its inspected once a year,thats it.

That's just like here, but if you leave the province you would have to do the same thing I did.

weldor

Reaction score
Trav, when I got my new single wheel 3500 in March, I mistakenly registered it commercially for the gvw on the door which was 4,562 kg, even though I'll never reach that weight. A week later I got a letter from the Alberta Gov. explaining the whole inspection thing and letter of clearance required to take it out of Alberta. I went back to Registries and re- registered my truck for 4,490 kg. Problem solved.

Sent from my iPhone when I should be sledding.

Couple of things, sucks to have a dually and only be able to register it to what my older 05 welding rig is rated for by the door sticker. (4490 kg)What is the letter of clearance??? Is that the safety fitness certificate???

RMK Junky

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.snowandmud.com
Couple of things, sucks to have a dually and only be able to register it to what my older 05 welding rig is rated for by the door sticker. (4490 kg)What is the letter of clearance??? Is that the safety fitness certificate???

The safety fitness certificate is your Ablerta operating authority.

If you are using log books don't forget to claim your meal allowance. 1 meal every 4 hours away from your home terminal. I do believe it's $11 per meal ($34 max a day). Make sure you have an accountant that understands logs or you will get screwed out of $$$ that should be coming to you :)

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/ndvdls/.../ddctns/lns206-236/229/trnsprttn/mls-eng.html

Last edited:

High Velocity

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

You are likely correct on the safety fitness certificate. I haven't dealt with it since March/11. I just remember there was some letter or certificate I had to have to go out of province if registered over 4500 kg. Ya, it's definitely not a viable option to register your dually under 4500. Then why even have it ?

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so correct me if i'm wrong- i'm somewhat new to this commercial registration, my 3/4 ton dodge is registered for 7200kgs, (combined total of gvw of truck and trailer +/-). if want to go to valemount on this coming friday i'll need to have a log book? filled out for at least 14 days prior?

can someone fill me in on what i have to get/do or at least who to talk to? i'm stopping by the registry office this week anyways,

i've browsed through the governments transportation jungle of a book and just get confused as to what actualy applies to me.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so correct me if i'm wrong- i'm somewhat new to this commercial registration, my 3/4 ton dodge is registered for 7200kgs, (combined total of gvw of truck and trailer +/-). if want to go to valemount on this coming friday i'll need to have a log book? filled out for at least 14 days prior?

can someone fill me in on what i have to get/do or at least who to talk to? i'm stopping by the registry office this week anyways,

i've browsed through the governments transportation jungle of a book and just get confused as to what actualy applies to me.
is vegas of the north in alberta? do you work in BC with your truck?

summ-it-up

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
is vegas of the north in alberta? do you work in BC with your truck?
lol i'm in vega, just making some refrence to the road sign out side of vega that some cleverly added an s to the end of a few years ago,
no i do my work in alberta, i just have a few trips planned to bc in the next while for sledding and don't want to spend time getting educated the costly way.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
lol i'm in vega, just making some refrence to the road sign out side of vega that some cleverly added an s to the end of a few years ago,
no i do my work in alberta, i just have a few trips planned to bc in the next while for sledding and don't want to spend time getting educated the costly way.
ah....lol. finally got to see that part of the world this summer, moved a bunch of Ledcor stuff in and out of there.

do you have to run a log book in Alberta?

Top Bottom