Couples that sled together.. article

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok doing another article. This one is on Couples that ride together.

Do you remember your first time?

Best time?

Most trying time?

Any situation that sticks out in your mind as humorous?

Thanks again Peeps!!

Momma :)

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok doing another article. This one is on Couples that ride together.

Best time?

Most trying time?

Thanks again Peeps!!

Momma :)
Back in '88. We had been going out together for a couple years.....put her on an old '78 Ski Doo Citation....we made it 250 meters from the house and she rolled trying to cross a graderbank. She was angry....buddies helped right her and we were on our way again after calming her down, and assuring her we weren't trying to kill her. Until she rolled it again doing the same thing. She never rode again after that until 2005 when I bought her a brand new Rev Expedition.

Best time?
This one is tougher, it's either watching her tow the kids around the field on their GT Sno Racers and having hotdog roasts and hot chocolate afterwards, or when I convinced her and the kids to come to Valemount and ride her sled to the Clemina cabin on a bluebird spring day to hang out with the sledjunkies.

Most trying time?
I think it was the first time....she was so angry with me because she thought my friends were going to think she was stupid and couldn't ride a sled. It took much reassuring that no one was going to think she was an idiot, or get mad because she was keeping us from going as fast as we wanted or having fun. She is still not comfortable riding around other people, it is one of the things that bothers me the most.

She was towing the skimmer behind her Expedition when we left the Clemina cabin, she took the corner a bit tight heading onto the trail and the skimmer tipped over, dragging her sled over as well....I thought it was funny, my little guy riding on the back with her thought it was fun....my wife....not so much. Again my friends were there before I could get back to her, and had her sled and skimmer upright and back on the trail in less than a minute. I'm pretty sure I'll never make her a hardcore Bettie....lol.

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Back in '88. We had been going out together for a couple years.....put her on an old '78 Ski Doo Citation....we made it 250 meters from the house and she rolled trying to cross a graderbank. She was angry....buddies helped right her and we were on our way again after calming her down, and assuring her we weren't trying to kill her. Until she rolled it again doing the same thing. She never rode again after that until 2005 when I bought her a brand new Rev Expedition.

Best time?
This one is tougher, it's either watching her tow the kids around the field on their GT Sno Racers and having hotdog roasts and hot chocolate afterwards, or when I convinced her and the kids to come to Valemount and ride her sled to the Clemina cabin on a bluebird spring day to hang out with the sledjunkies.

Most trying time?
I think it was the first time....she was so angry with me because she thought my friends were going to think she was stupid and couldn't ride a sled. It took much reassuring that no one was going to think she was an idiot, or get mad because she was keeping us from going as fast as we wanted or having fun. She is still not comfortable riding around other people, it is one of the things that bothers me the most.

She was towing the skimmer behind her Expedition when we left the Clemina cabin, she took the corner a bit tight heading onto the trail and the skimmer tipped over, dragging her sled over as well....I thought it was funny, my little guy riding on the back with her thought it was fun....my wife....not so much. Again my friends were there before I could get back to her, and had her sled and skimmer upright and back on the trail in less than a minute. I'm pretty sure I'll never make her a hardcore Bettie....lol.

Tee you made me have tears. That's awesome!!!

Thank you!

RXN

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wifes going to kill me for this but: :rolleyes:

First time: (and probably the worst). Her first time on a sled and I put her on Dads old 1990 Cheyanne (Ski-doo). and told her brakes, gas, get scared push the little red button, then I took off on mine, We were ditch banging to Ministik. When I looked back she wasn't there, so I went back home, found her sitting on the sled just looking at it. I pulled up beside her and she said "how do you make it go"?. so I gave better directions, and away we went. And I learned never ever to take a beginer ditch banging. heading up rng rd 215 in a nice wide ditch with one tree in it, she smoked that tree, tore the hood off the sled.

Best Time: Every time after that, she still agrees to go with me. sucker for punishment I think.

PINKalicious

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This is a great idea momma!

after reading these posts boy i sure cant wait to have a ridding partner for life! props to you men that support your women and are willing to hold the camera for us too means the world to us...as moms tend to be behind the camera.

Last edited:

snow_farmer

Reaction score
Do you remember your first time? I took my girlfriend out to Revy earlier this year for the weekend to ski/sled for 4 days. I remember thinking to myself as we pulled into town, your on very little sleep so don't get upset, be patient and be supportive cause if she doesn't enjoy the first time it'll probably be her last. And I can honestly say I've never been so patient or had as much fun on a casual ride with someone as much as her (must be a sign haha)

Best time?
The one and only so far, but there'll be more.

Most trying time?
At the end of the day she was getting tired and couldn't get out of a small area in the trees we were in. She ended up rolling her M8 on its side and somehow bent the steering rod and broke the throttle lever causing me to ride it out holding the two pieces together with my hand and zip-ties. She was so upset.

1. After time three of trying to climb superbowl she finally made it to the top and when I came up to get her she was shaking with the biggest **** eating grin on her face... until I told her you gotta come down the way you came up.

2. After we got to the truck she told me something like, "Well no wonder your so much better, your sled is way easier to ride... I want one like it the next time we go!" Its an M8 as well, just a few more goodies on it... lol

3. That night my buddy text me asking if "we were still together" and when I said she broke something on the sled he said ya..... you guys are def made to be together!

Attachments

• P1030009.jpg
    P1030009.jpg
    184.9 KB · Views: 570

Snow Monkey

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Very first time.......
Magnet dusted me with his new sled, I didn't even have my helmet on yet, gravel in my eyes sucked, he took off, left me behind, then let the piece of crap extra sled he had, leak fuel all over my legs for a few hours, as they were stinging, he said 'oh suck it up'. :0
No wonder I quit it for a couple years, he still can't figure out why....

Anyone with a dreamier one than that ? Lol

But now it's lots of fun, we have fun riding together, and after going through many sleds, I think I finally found 'the one' (sled, not new hubby, lol)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zal

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First Time sledding with Paula was 2 years ago in Kakwa. She loved it. That is when we were hooped. 3 people (Son, Wife and myself) who love sledding in the mtns and 2 sleds. So we had to buy another sled.

Best Time: Over New Years with the 3 of us. It was only the second time we all could sled together. Blue Bird Day, nice and warm. Its the best time because I watched both of them carve up the powder. Paula had a blast. So much fun, she wanted to go again in a couple weeks.

Most Trying Time: Last year at the Sledjunkie Ride. We were in Allan Creek going down the Spine. Was only Paula's second time in the mtns. We went down "The Spine" and thats when it went bad. It was a grey light, and we all know whats thats like. No definition of anything. She went down and another person stopped at the bottom. Paula was going a little hot and went turned to miss her. And thats when all I saw was the sled stop dead in its tracks, ass end of the sled in the air and Paula going ass over tea kettle in the creek bank. Through my eyes, it looked so violent that I thought she either broke both her legs or her neck, with the sled on top of her. Dug her out, she was laughing. So I thought everything was okay. Not so. After that, she was afraid to do anything, took the wind out of her sails. Even the next day with a sore neck, she wouldn't do anything. Her neck was sore for 3 weeks. It finally felt better when she was cleaning the house and heard a "pop." Who says cleaning house doesn't pay off?

Most Humorous: Well, we only rode 3 times together so there isn't really anything funny yet. Maybe her boob incident. She took a small jump and killed the sled with her boob. Damn Kill Switches.:cool:

Forgot to say, I now have a new riding partner!

Last edited:

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
First Time sledding with Paula was 2 years ago in Kakwa. She loved it. That is when we were hooped. 3 people (Son, Wife and myself) who love sledding in the mtns and 2 sleds. So we had to buy another sled.

Best Time: Over New Years with the 3 of us. It was only the second time we all could sled together. Blue Bird Day, nice and warm. Its the best time because I watched both of them carve up the powder. Paula had a blast. So much fun, she wanted to go again in a couple weeks.

Most Trying Time: Last year at the Sledjunkie Ride. We were in Allan Creek going down the Spine. Was only Paula's second time in the mtns. We went down "The Spine" and thats when it went bad. It was a grey light, and we all know whats thats like. No definition of anything. She went down and another person stopped at the bottom. Paula was going a little hot and went turned to miss her. And thats when all I saw was the sled stop dead in its tracks, ass end of the sled in the air and Paula going ass over tea kettle in the creek bank. Through my eyes, it looked so violent that I thought she either broke both her legs or her neck, with the sled on top of her. Dug her out, she was laughing. So I thought everything was okay. Not so. After that, she was afraid to do anything, took the wind out of her sails. Even the next day with a sore neck, she wouldn't do anything. Her neck was sore for 3 weeks. It finally felt better when she was cleaning the house and heard a "pop." Who says cleaning house doesn't pay off?

Most Humorous: Well, we only rode 3 times together so there isn't really anything funny yet. Maybe her boob incident. She took a small jump and killed the sled with her boob. Damn Kill Switches.:cool:

Forgot to say, I now have a new riding partner!

Haa haaa!!! I LOVE IT!@!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was going to ask if we can use the Boob incident! lol. Yayyyyyyyyy Paula!!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you remember your first time? I took my girlfriend out to Revy earlier this year for the weekend to ski/sled for 4 days. I remember thinking to myself as we pulled into town, your on very little sleep so don't get upset, be patient and be supportive cause if she doesn't enjoy the first time it'll probably be her last. And I can honestly say I've never been so patient or had as much fun on a casual ride with someone as much as her (must be a sign haha)

Best time?
The one and only so far, but there'll be more.

Most trying time?
At the end of the day she was getting tired and couldn't get out of a small area in the trees we were in. She ended up rolling her M8 on its side and somehow bent the steering rod and broke the throttle lever causing me to ride it out holding the two pieces together with my hand and zip-ties. She was so upset.

1. After time three of trying to climb superbowl she finally made it to the top and when I came up to get her she was shaking with the biggest **** eating grin on her face... until I told her you gotta come down the way you came up.

2. After we got to the truck she told me something like, "Well no wonder your so much better, your sled is way easier to ride... I want one like it the next time we go!" Its an M8 as well, just a few more goodies on it... lol

3. That night my buddy text me asking if "we were still together" and when I said she broke something on the sled he said ya..... you guys are def made to be together!

I love that too!!! You do sound like a match made in heaven... from women who want to shred everywhere.. I thank you!! You had the right attitude getting her into the sport.. probably why you have your best bud riding with you now. You ROCK plain and simple!!

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
For sure Trish! Do we get to read it when complete?

You bet yer babkas you'll get to read it!!! I'll make sure to post a link here!! Thank you so much!!

• Thanks
Reactions: zal

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I think that's a good point too Zal.. When someone you love has a crash... I know my stomach goes up to my throat when I have to witness a bad crash or a scary situation someone I love is in.

thunder44

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you remember your first time? Well I think my first time will included most of your other questions...... I was turning 40 (now 47) and my husband and another couple who have rode for years decided for my 40th we should go on a poker ride in the Mountains. Now I had only rode a sled in our field a couple of times but I think what the he!! I can do this......... So we borrow a 96 670 (136) Summit for me and off to Morfee mountain in Mackenzie BC to ride with the people from RMTA. So I figure I'm doing pretty good. I make it to the cabin. Then they suggest going over to this tower and they are all going to climb this chute and yes I can follow but DO NOT GO DOWN the hill they tell me.HAHAHAHAHA So I watch and video for a bit and see what I think is a better spot to video from. Across the top of hill I go and for some unknow reason to me Im heading straight down'this hill. I panick and scream alot in my helmut but YAY Ilived going down there. My husband looks at me in horror and asks why I didn't stay up top. To this day he has a sore shin from that question hehehehehehe. So I look up the hill and ask..... so wheres the trail so I can go around this hill and get back up there. My husband rolls his eyes at me( he is still suffering for that one too) and says the only way out is the way you came.UH UH NO WAY I.m not going up that. At the time it looked like the size of the monster chute.Okay maybe not that big but I was terrified.So he gets me pointed up the hill and tells me pin it and don't let off till you hit the top So I do what he said and just about make half way and I'M STUCK.Here he comes and he wants to turn me around and go back down and do it all over again . I tell him in the nicest way NO WAY but back on the sled, back down the hill at what feels like 100 mph and I try again. So as I'm climbing the hill here comes a little kid down it and mean 9 -10yr old we cross over each other and I roll my sled on top of this little guy OMG he held me and my sled there upside down until my husband got there. Guess what??? Back down this stupid hill and told to ride it....... Well I'm so mad at my husband that I pin it to the top go straight to the cabin.

Funny though when I reached the top of that hill. the feeling was the greatest most exhilirating feeling ever. I was hooked!!

My husband has never let me live down the bunny hill at Morfee ( It really is pretty small)

So I have been mountain riding now for 7 years and every Saturday during sledding season we ride together. My husband is the most patient man in the world and my favorite riding partner. I think I'm more addicted than him. Our whole family rides together and I can't imagine anything better.

Thanks for reading
Robbin

MOMMA

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Do you remember your first time? Well I think my first time will included most of your other questions...... I was turning 40 (now 47) and my husband and another couple who have rode for years decided for my 40th we should go on a poker ride in the Mountains. Now I had only rode a sled in our field a couple of times but I think what the he!! I can do this......... So we borrow a 96 670 (136) Summit for me and off to Morfee mountain in Mackenzie BC to ride with the people from RMTA. So I figure I'm doing pretty good. I make it to the cabin. Then they suggest going over to this tower and they are all going to climb this chute and yes I can follow but DO NOT GO DOWN the hill they tell me.HAHAHAHAHA So I watch and video for a bit and see what I think is a better spot to video from. Across the top of hill I go and for some unknow reason to me Im heading straight down'this hill. I panick and scream alot in my helmut but YAY Ilived going down there. My husband looks at me in horror and asks why I didn't stay up top. To this day he has a sore shin from that question hehehehehehe. So I look up the hill and ask..... so wheres the trail so I can go around this hill and get back up there. My husband rolls his eyes at me( he is still suffering for that one too) and says the only way out is the way you came.UH UH NO WAY I.m not going up that. At the time it looked like the size of the monster chute.Okay maybe not that big but I was terrified.So he gets me pointed up the hill and tells me pin it and don't let off till you hit the top So I do what he said and just about make half way and I'M STUCK.Here he comes and he wants to turn me around and go back down and do it all over again . I tell him in the nicest way NO WAY but back on the sled, back down the hill at what feels like 100 mph and I try again. So as I'm climbing the hill here comes a little kid down it and mean 9 -10yr old we cross over each other and I roll my sled on top of this little guy OMG he held me and my sled there upside down until my husband got there. Guess what??? Back down this stupid hill and told to ride it....... Well I'm so mad at my husband that I pin it to the top go straight to the cabin.

Funny though when I reached the top of that hill. the feeling was the greatest most exhilirating feeling ever. I was hooked!!

My husband has never let me live down the bunny hill at Morfee ( It really is pretty small)

So I have been mountain riding now for 7 years and every Saturday during sledding season we ride together. My husband is the most patient man in the world and my favorite riding partner. I think I'm more addicted than him. Our whole family rides together and I can't imagine anything better.

Thanks for reading
Robbin

Thank you so much for Sharing Robbin! It is funny how Big stuff looks when we're starting out eh.. That is an awesome story!

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My fiance had never rode a sled when we first got together. And really had no desire to I dont think LOL but after we had our daughter I thought it would be a good idea to get together with tfitz and his wife for a getaway weekend in valemount. I had my brand new 09 M1000 to try out and I borrowed my dads phazer MTX. thinking this is going to be the perfect sled to learn on and she is going to have a blast! Well as we were going into clemina the first day I was leading and kinda jumped off the trail and come back down not thinking anything of it. When I look back there she is getting steam rollered but the phazer following me!! HAHA so she was a bit shaken up and the sled was now 1 hand gaurd short..... for about 15 minutes then she evened it out for me! LOL any ways it was a very frustrating day for her as she rolled the sled roughly 25 seprate times. We tried setting the suspension and all kinds of tricks to make the sled less tippy but it is what it is. Then last year I had broke my leg on the sled in jan but by april I was iching to get out and ride a bit. I talked her into going for a late season rip to golden with me and this time took a nytro for her instead!! She loved it!! Had a blast and was 10X more confident on it! I was pretty proud watching her do little highmarks on the hill until when I wasnt looking she got sucked into a trench and paniced, and all I seen was her getting steam rollered by the nytro this time! She laughed it off and tells me she had a great time! now she is the owner of that 09 M1000 as I got myself a T1000 this year! Hope she likes it! LOL

Wranglergirl

Reaction score

It was dark....the lights were turned out...I could smell his cologne.......OOPS! you mean sledding lol.
We were doubled on his brand new 92 Polaris 500 EFI. Back when he had room in front of him for another rider behind him (now presently reserved for his keg, oh! I mean six pack) Dressed to impress with his flashy gortex polaris jacket along with his saggy bottom bibs, 2 pockets inside for the keys you leave in the truck ignition, 4 pockets outside (2 empties left on the ground). At that time it was one of the top sleds for speed, and of course you have to experience that your first time out, not being the person in control, not being able to see whats in front of you, along side a railway track !!! Needless to say my first dead stop experience , when the ski hooked up with a roll of page wire under the snow and threw us both from the machine.
Yup , I was hooked.....on having my own machine, lololol

Best time?

I don't think there is a "best" time that sticks out in my head more so then another. They seem to always end up with an unknown adventure of some kind, and in the end thats probably the best part/memory.
Not sure what to call it but maybe the "bestest stupidest move" as a newbie sledder would have been first time out with "the boys"
You know the old "your girlfriends coming? can she keep up? will she be able to keep up? we're not waiting for her! " etc etc
Well being new to riding my own sled (of course his 96 trail handy down) I also had that to worry about "keeping up with the boys"
So off we headed to a guys acreage to unload. One after another each sled headed out the drive way down the road to a "T" intersection, turn right and all the sleds awaited to cross the road to the trails beyond. Of course, last guy "newbie" my turn....out the drive (gotta keep up) down the road( gotta keep up) T intersection coming up (guys are getting ahead, more throttle, gotta keep up) " OH ch!t! T intersection I forgot .....brake , brake , ch!t more brake, ch!t ice, dammit going even faster now, crap more ice, ch!t road, still skating, to much speed! Oh this is not going to be good! " ........Result = a perfect 360 landing me in line right behind the last guy! Of course preformed in the middle of the "T" intersection :) They all looked in awe, uh , yup, she can keep up. Talk about horseshoe up the whoo whoo, I'm pretty sure two squirts of pee came out to,lolol, but I was like .... uhhhhh.....yahhhhhhh....I meant to do that :)

Most trying time?

Hmmmm..... most trying time was trying not to get lost in the bush while finding a spot to cross the open water. One sled by this time was already running on E and every place we came to you could not cross. We went back n forth for miles in the bush, in the dark, having to end up finding a road finally. I was ready to make camp till daylight but all ended well. :)

There are way to many to tell them all, like I said there is ALWAYS a bonus adventure that seems to come with going out sledding with him.

"stump hill"
"the famous red arrow"
"suicide hills on the river bank"
"fishing? on sleds"
"elk point night ride"
...the list goes on and on...

The trip up north years ago to my Uncles, riding with my cousins on New Years Eve.
We all stopped on the trail for a refreshment. As we all know how men are, and "mines bigger than yours" lol, the topic of choice was " look my sled burps and starts instantly, like only 6" of cord needs to come out." So of course let the games begin with a show n tell!
After a few show n tells the sled in the front of the pack took his pull. As we all watched he pulled his cord, an instant rocket at full throttle bearing down the trail. He still had his hand out where the toggle was initially, his wife screaming "run after it", he looked down at his empty hand and proceeded to take a drink from his other. That act itself was too funny, ...uhhhhh .....ok........not much I can do.....guess I'll have a drink then. As he sipped on his drink the sled proceeded down the trail quite away actually on its own before veering off into the small trees eventually ending up on its side still screaming away at full throttle.(yes, potentially a dangerous situation) but all ended well with a good time and great memories.

Now I have learned to be prepared for anything because there is always the unexpected adventure which comes with :):beer:

Top Bottom