Corbin/ Pipeline Road - Is it rough?

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is the road that heads south from highway 3 to the pipeline stageing area by the 'Tin-Shack' a rough road at all? Is it plowed regularly? Most important, are there any serious hills you have to drive up that could bring trouble for a 2wheel drive Equinox pulling 2 sleds?

Same questions for the Fernie staging area by the dump?
As well as Morrissey for that matter.

I pulled 3 sleds from Edmonton to McBride :eek: and had an easy time accessing Lucille however i couldnt make it up the first little hill to access the Bell parking area. I had to back down the FSR road and stage near the highway.

Thanks in advance.

hookedonpowder

Reaction score
The road to the tin shack is a good road, it's flat and plowed regularly the only thing to watch for are a couple of sharp turns for the railway crossings. We just turn around when we get there and park on the right hand side. It's wide enough to unload and ride from.

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
The Fernie sled dump staging area can be quite tricky, seeing as they do not plow it often enough. Last winter we managed to get stuck in there with our 4X4. I should also add that we where not the only ones that day, within a half hour period, there where two other vehicles stuck in the lot as well. Bad part was it was one of those days where they were checking for trail passes before entereing the staging area. I think if they charge for grooming and trail access that should also include cleaning out the staging areas.
I also would not suggest the Morrisey staging area either without a 4X4.

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Bullit and KTM.
Would i be able to stage before the dump at all? or behind the 7-11 and ride in if there is snow?

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
ive been unloading at the tin shack for years and it is awsome after big dump of snow but gets moguled up fast due to no grooming but to access the notch its @16 km from tin shack and @ 30km. from fernie fas gas but from fernie usualy gets groomed and pipeline does not, there is some prety good riding in the notch, trappers cabin ect., i will to be there for a week over christmas again this year at the inn on the border , we need some serious snow in the next couple weeks in the pass to make it happen ... some body do the snow dance please ..:d

ronmexico

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey swabby, thanks for the reply. Im not too worried about once i get on the sled. Its getting to the stageing areas with my 2-wheel drive equinox im concerned about (company vehicle - free gas)

Can you stage from the behind the Fas-Gas in Fernie? That would be decent.

Also, how regularly does the road to the tin shack get plowed? I would assume frequently if the mine is working.

swabby

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
hey Ron you bet the the road up there is regularly maintained plowed and sanded i have never seen any 1 have any problems on the road and usualy the parking lot (tin shack) is plowed also but for your equinox if you get there early you can flip a u turn and park and unload on road shoulder (its plenty wide enough )and you should have no problems i do it all the time and many other people do it also parking can be difficult if its real buisy early is better, also been lucky no1 has stolen or vandalized anything there:d

Trax 2 Treadz

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
trax2treadz.com
The dump staging area is usually not a problem. Worse case is that you would have to drop your sleds to get moving again. Depending on how far they plow you can also stage from the first bridge past the dump but that area generally fills up pretty quick. Actually I have also seen a few people park on the opposite side of the entry to the dump as well. They generally push back far enough to park smaller units there as well.

InnOnTheBorder

Lodge in Crowsnest
Reaction score
Website
www.innontheborder.com
Hey there:
Ya better check with the Fernie snow club as I heard the dump staging area has been changed or lost. I am sure there will B a staging area. Don't quote me on this. As for the pipeline, this is the main HWY into coal mtn operations @ Corbin. It is a full out single lane that is maintained very well maintained by B.C. HWYs.
Remember!!! have your registration on you, U have to pass the B.C scale on ur way to Fernie and they sometimes like to check out your paper work. ( two or three times a season)
Not much for snow yet, I had some snow bikes up in Raingauge saying about 18in up there a few weeks ago. should B more now because of the rain and snow mix down here at the Inn. We will post on our Wesite when the big one happens.
Curtis

Top Bottom