Coolant Temp

pfi572

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
180 is what you have to have if you want any heat out of heaters.
Load on the marine engines with the way they are set up for cooling will not make a difference in coolant temp.
Will make engine oil temp rise in a big way if running hard.
Oil coolers recommended for any thing big performance or big block.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
my kodiak has an oil cooler, oil temp shouldn't be an isse

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so I pulled the thermostat, it came with a 160degree, so I put in a 180, I will update after I run it in the river...thanks for the input guys

During the build did they install a sand separator?
I didn't have one the first couple years and eventually started to get fluctuations in my temps. Took the heat exchanger apart and found alot of fine gravel obstructing the cooler tubes. I cleaned it all out with compressed air and a ram rod and all is 100% now. Then installed a sand separator, no more issues to date.
Good assurance for the cooling system.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
During the build did they install a sand separator?
I didn't have one the first couple years and eventually started to get fluctuations in my temps. Took the heat exchanger apart and found alot of fine gravel obstructing the cooler tubes. I cleaned it all out with compressed air and a ram rod and all is 100% now. Then installed a sand separator, no more issues to date.
Good assurance for the cooling system.

No sand trap, I am going to run it for the season and do an inspection this winter and decide then if I need it, the builder is undecided on them, and I had a friend whos sand trap lost an o-ring, the boat took on a lot of water really fast

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so the 180 thermostat sure improved heater output and didn't have any negative effects

P_ZIZZ

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Kodiak runs 150 as well I will have to do the same! did you see any fuel mileage changes? my boat runs around 3600 RPM all the time seems similar to yours.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My Kodiak runs 150 as well I will have to do the same! did you see any fuel mileage changes? my boat runs around 3600 RPM all the time seems similar to yours.

I haven't tracked the the fuel use to much, the tanks are so large I hate to fill full for no reason, but maybe I will just to see what it uses

Top Bottom