Coolant Temp

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so on my new boat the coolant temp hangs at 150degrees, I am thinking of putting a 180 thermostat in it instead of the 150, what do you guys think ?

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
150 seems a bit low, the only question I would have is with a big load headed up the river will a 180 keep it cool enough?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The water I run is fricken cold, I had 5 people in the boat and about 300 litres of gas in the boat, I ran at 3400rpm and the temp never climbed at all, 150 seems damn cold

Bnorth

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The water I run is fricken cold, I had 5 people in the boat and about 300 litres of gas in the boat, I ran at 3400rpm and the temp never climbed at all, 150 seems damn cold
Sounds like you'd be fine to go up 20-30 degrees then.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you'd be fine to go up 20-30 degrees then.

I think so, I was curious what coolant temps others were seeing on their jet boats, thanks for the input, I will change it out

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I do that to any I install, easier to get air out of the system also
Maybe the hole you are drilling is to big?? Is your gauge accurate?? I know that these are simple problems and you may have ruled them out already but it seems odd with load you had that the temp would not rise above the set point of the stat.

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
its a new boat with a kodiak mpi350 chev, it has the factory installed thermostat which I assume is a 150 since the coolant temp never surpasses that

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Peace probable still has ice on the banks in any case its still close to freezing. New exchanger and cold water guess your right looks like you'll be changing the thermostat. Motor must be set up for warm water. Understandable they don't see a lot of ice in California.
its a new boat with a kodiak mpi350 chev, it has the factory installed thermostat which I assume is a 150 since the coolant temp never surpasses that.

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A hot motor is a happy motor, 150 is too cold Clode. I would change it out to a 180 for sure. Your fuel consumption will improve and there will be less wear on the motor in the long run. Especially if your in cold water, i'ed be worried the thermostat would stay open at all times.

The other thing is its a NEW motor and proper break in will make or break its future performance. Your motor should actually be running alot hotter then normal as parts are wearing in. Once worn in the temperature will stabilize, if your seeing 150 with a new motor i'ed be concern that the thermostat is stuck open or is wrong. Break in with a cold motor is not good.

Last edited:

Lund

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
BTW forgot to mention my thermostat opens at 175deg.
Maybe talk to the builder and see what he thinks, if he's happy with that then run with it i guess.

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine opens at 180 but don't see the gauge budge until it hits 200. Had me worried at first but runs well. While cruising 34-4000rpm the temperature never climbs over 150.

Ps, how is the peace looking clode?

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine opens at 180 but don't see the gauge budge until it hits 200. Had me worried at first but runs well. While cruising 34-4000rpm the temperature never climbs over 150.

the peace is open year round, and the pine and halfway are cleaning up nicely now, I have 10hrs on the boat now

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good to hear. We have put about 20hrs on ours but we have made 3 ocean trips so adds up fast there. Haven't actually had it in the river yet because of flood levels but soon I hope.

dogsmack

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Watching this thread I was starting to have concerns with my boat as it consistently sits at 200 if not a little warmer. Nothing has let go but on the lake last week it did have a little trouble with heat. That issues however were caused by a sitting motor turned off after is was hot. Aside from lifing the engine cover what is a guy to do? It has a heat exchanger vs running river water it that makes any difference. Comments..

S.W.A.T.

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Mine was getting hot but after some investigation I saw my cooling can was empty. Filled it and the tank to proper levels zero issues ever since

Keith Brown

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If your boat holds steady at 200f it seems acceptable to me. If you have noticed that the temp has gone up for no apparent reason then you may have a problem but if it always been at 200f that is within the normal range on most engines albeit on the high side of the normal range. Your boat has a heat exchanger that is most likely equipped with a 14psi pressure cap which would set the boiling point over 240f. If you are heating more than normal the most likely cause and easiest to fix would be the pick up screen for the fresh water pump that delivers lake water (not to be confused with the engine water pump) to your heat exchanger. Most boats have a pick up screen that is normally easy to clean and service. Follow the smaller hose from you heat exchanger (The large ones go to the engine pump) one will lead to a pump which is usually belt driven off the motor. The screen will mostly likely be on the other side of this pump. If the boat is in the water don't take anything apart till you close the inlet valve close to the hull.
Watching this thread I was starting to have concerns with my boat as it consistently sits at 200 if not a little warmer. Nothing has let go but on the lake last week it did have a little trouble with heat. That issues however were caused by a sitting motor turned off after is was hot. Aside from lifing the engine cover what is a guy to do? It has a heat exchanger vs running river water it that makes any difference. Comments..

Last edited:

Clode

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
so I pulled the thermostat, it came with a 160degree, so I put in a 180, I will update after I run it in the river...thanks for the input guys

Top Bottom