Contractor pricing

rlook

Reaction score
Can anyone give me some square foot pricing, labour only for batt insulation, vapor barrier, drywall? I'm trying to check numbers I have gotten from a guy. Also what is spray foam worth wherever you are located? Thanks

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some square foot pricing, labour only for batt insulation, vapor barrier, drywall? I'm trying to check numbers I have gotten from a guy. Also what is spray foam worth wherever you are located? Thanks

That is right up Trashy 668's alley. I'm betting he will have the scoop for you around 5ish this afternoon.

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Consider, insul, board, taping, ceiling finish at $0.25/board ft on average.

Spray foam depends on, open cell or closed cell?

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Good lord if that's all ya want Trashy, I'll hire you today......

Those prices include ins, WCB, administrative costs, overhead, and Profit (not a nasty word btw)?

Also bare in mind tools, trucks and things of that nature tend to wear out and require replacement from time to time....

rlook make sure whoever does this has ins and WCB coverage, if they get injured or put a screw in a water or gas line this could turn into a real nightmare.....

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Those prices are for each trade, not for the total package. It is also a base price to start with.

morerpmfred

Reaction score
Still pretty low rates to pay the guys. I would not board it or tape it for those prices.

buckie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Still pretty low rates to pay the guys. I would not board it or tape it for those prices.
I think they are tryin to tell you that you need a raise trashy ;)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think they are tryin to tell you that you need a raise trashy ;)

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
I'm a manager, and don't do the work anymore. I was just giving a base price to start at, that's all :)

morerpmfred

Reaction score
What i get paid as a subcontractor. Boarding if the guy is a hack .27 cents a foot and if the work is good.30 a foot. If he had his own wcb etc then .2 cents a foot more. Taping same thing but this does not include sanding or touch-ups which are 5 to 7 cents a foot more. For bead 1.50 a foot and 2 $ a foot for no coat. No if the job was all choppy or slope ceilings or high walls or lots of travel time rates even more.
Mind you I have never worked for the majority of the high volume drywall contractors in Calgary as there rates are to low.

Ministik Man

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What i get paid as a subcontractor. Boarding if the guy is a hack .27 cents a foot and if the work is good.30 a foot. If he had his own wcb etc then .2 cents a foot more. Taping same thing but this does not include sanding or touch-ups which are 5 to 7 cents a foot more. For bead 1.50 a foot and 2 $ a foot for no coat. No if the job was all choppy or slope ceilings or high walls or lots of travel time rates even more.
Mind you I have never worked for the majority of the high volume drywall contractors in Calgary as there rates are to low.

Sorry a little confused
$.30 per lineal foot or per square foot
IE a garage as follows the labor would be???
Walls 45' x 26' x 9' high = 1278 sq ft = how much $
Ceiling vaulted 45' x 26 from 9' vaulting to 13'= 1170sq ft = $

Taping for 1278s ft + 1170 sq ft = 2448 sq ft = $

Finished sanding ready for paint for 2448 sq ft =$

rlook

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

For spray foam the numbers I've gotten are $1.50 / board foot or $1.80 / shot.

For batt (roxul) I have about 500 bags to install. Poly is around roughly 7000 sq ft and house is probably more difficult than average with vaulted ceilings. Combined price of batt and poly is $12000.

Numbers seem ok?

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sorry a little confused
$.30 per lineal foot or per square foot
IE a garage as follows the labor would be???
Walls 45' x 26' x 9' high = 1278 sq ft = how much $
Ceiling vaulted 45' x 26 from 9' vaulting to 13'= 1170sq ft = $

Taping for 1278s ft + 1170 sq ft = 2448 sq ft = $

Finished sanding ready for paint for 2448 sq ft =$
The price's are per board foot, a 4x8 sheet is 32 bd ft and so on.....

Trashy

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies!

For spray foam the numbers I've gotten are $1.50 / board foot or $1.80 / shot.

For batt (roxul) I have about 500 bags to install. Poly is around roughly 7000 sq ft and house is probably more difficult than average with vaulted ceilings. Combined price of batt and poly is $12000.

Numbers seem ok?
For the foam, what R value are you trying for, and I have never heard of a price/shot ???

500 bags to install :yikes: That's a big phucking house!!!!!

doorfx

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow I'll say!! If you need 500 to insulate you shouldn't even care about price lol
J/k

rlook

Reaction score
The house is on bedrock and there is some exposed bedrock in the basement so I am putting 6" of foam on some of that rock, 6" of foam in some under floor joist spaces where it is a cold zone under the floor, 12" in the joist end spaces, and 2" against foundation walls. I've been told the foam is r5 / inch.

The house is around 3000 sq ft on 2 levels plus basement and 900 sq ft garage. But it has double walls with 3 layers of insulation and a TJI roof with 2 layers of insulation so that's why I have so much of the stuff!

Ron H

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
A 4x8 is also 32 square feet. What is the difference between board feet and square feet then?

Basically ya get paid for what's on the floor (delivered) eg: if a wall mesures 10'6" x 7'8" one would cut two 12' x 4' sheets of board which equates to 96 square feet as opposed to the actual wall measurement of 74 square feet. A lot of DIY guys will use smaller sheets and pieces which create a lot of butt joints to tape. This make for an inferior job....
As far a rates go I pay considerably higher than discussed thus far, all I expect after the job is done are two phone calls the one I receive "It's done" and the one I make " it's done, here's your bill".....with no drama.......

Top Bottom