Commander 1000 XT-P, fat and skinny tires or skinnys all around?

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Buying a new Commander, curious what others thing about tires. I have picked out what I want for tires, just looking at sizes. Most of use is trail riding with some mud, snow and all around conditions but agility is probably the biggest factor.

I am going with 28" tires, just curious as to whether you prefer 12" on the rear and 9" on the front or go with 10" width all around? Pro's and con's?

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
see a few of the more extreme guys at a local red deer shop yesterday all running skinny tires front n rear, 10 in wide. mainly mud riding. I run 10inch x30 tires on the ranger

work well but will dig down in swampy bottomless mud, need lots of clearance to reach the hard bottom. general tail riding ? don't think it makes a pile of difference, the ride on 12 in wheel will be softer than that on a 14 in rim. with same tires front and rear you can rotate to even out wear. what tires you going to run?

bradb

Reaction score
Had 28"x10" front,12" rear,12" wheel. worked good,no rubbing on my commander. Went to 30"x11" wide,14" wheel all around.I want flotation for muskeg. skinnys are good for watery hard bottom mud,useless in muskeg.

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I prefer same all the way around as only need one size tire for a spare.
I just carry a 10" mounted front as a spare. will work on all 4 corners to get me home.

skinny all the way around is pretty much only a mud thing, but they have to be tall enough to get all the way to the bottom. with the huge tires on the quads nowadays, unless you're running a huge lift and all that goes with it that allows 30" rubber, you're sacrificing a lot to run them unless you are strictly a mud runner. the wider on the rear adds stability and a measure of extra traction.

just my opinion

Stompin Tom

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
see a few of the more extreme guys at a local red deer shop yesterday all running skinny tires front n rear, 10 in wide. mainly mud riding. I run 10inch x30 tires on the ranger

work well but will dig down in swampy bottomless mud, need lots of clearance to reach the hard bottom. general tail riding ? don't think it makes a pile of difference, the ride on 12 in wheel will be softer than that on a 14 in rim. with same tires front and rear you can rotate to even out wear. what tires you going to run?
I am going to try out the ITP Blackwater Evolutions. They look like a real good all around tire for a UTV, 8 ply, interesting tread pattern.

We have little to no swamp conditions around here, a reasonable amount of mud but lots of twisting, winding up and down trails. We do just enough road riding (resource roads) that I dont like to get into a mud lug.

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
maxis bighorn's or itp 589's are also a good all round tire, more suited to gravel trails. a guy on a kawi teryx 800 4 seater had the new blackwater tires and a 2 inch lift, went anywhere in the rocky area. sure looked like a good trail tire. pro's n cons for both fat/skinny- skinny/skinny are all over the map. just like tire opinions.
icon14.gif

arff

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to try Gorilla lites this year. 10 inch all around 30 inch on a 14 inch bead lock rim. I think they make that size.

Or run imdooin's type tires

imdoo'n

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I am going to try Gorilla lites this year. 10 inch all around 30 inch on a 14 inch bead lock rim. I think they make that size.

Or run imdooin's type tires
yup work good when ranger is on side, keep pulling, but not a good gravel tire

Top Bottom