Coming to Mcbride

sduhn

Reaction score
Coming on Feb 19-21. Wanting to sled Belle, never been there, was at Lucille last year. Not familiar with the area at all...I know Belle is a "family" area, as we really don't have 'any' mountain experience, we've been sledding for a couple of years, we want to stay away from the avy dangers. Just wondering how easy it is to get around Belle and find the areas that have some deep powder to play in. Is it almost a no-brainer to get around Belle or should we try to hook up with someone to show us the area?:d

Leona Eyben

Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
My suggestion would be that maybe you should hire a tour guide for a day and find out where you could have fun and also be safe with the avvy situation. There are many great places to ride safely and enjoy the fresh snow. We want everyone coming to our vally to have a great ride and do it safely. Enjoy our great valley when you come.

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine in belle. Once you get to the cabin climb the hill that will be right there, the hill is nothing technical. The bigger hill is to your right which is called big belle, at the bottom there is a creek bed that you should avoid. Once you get to the top there are meadows on the other side you'll have a ball, you do not need to venture far from the cabin to have a great time!. The last time i was there there were nice drifts to play in along the tree lines. On the the open meadows are great to learn in and there are places you can learn to play in the trees. In these meadows you do not have to worry about avys, just enjoy the scenery if its clear enough and tear it up. I don't think I'm going to be there early enough on that sat, I'd show you around belle but there are guides in mcbride if you want to go that route. Ask steve at the sled den about tours offered.
Either way You'll have a good time at belle.
Just make sure you have or rent avy gear and have a understanding on how to use it, spindrift offers that service and I believe the sled den does as well.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You can rent avvy gear from us as we have a large avalanche gear rental fleet. You can also book tour guides thru our shop aswell.

sduhn

Reaction score
Just make sure you have or rent avy gear and have a understanding on how to use it, spindrift offers that service and I believe the sled den does as well.

This may sound stupid....but, is it really neccesary to have avy gear for riding Belle...or is it "better safe than sorry" no matter what part of the area you are in? I was under the impression that this is a family area and the avy risk is very,very low if nonexistant. I don't have a problem spending the $ to rent the gear, but we haven't had any AST training either.:confused:

Last edited:

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
This may sound stupid....but, is it really neccesary to have avy gear for riding Belle...or is it "better safe than sorry" no matter what part of the area you are in? I was under the impression that this is a family area and the avy risk is very,very low if nonexistant. I don't have a problem spending the $ to rent the gear, but we haven't had any AST training either.:confused:

You are correct in the fact that belle is a `family area` per say. But on the same token as far as i`m concerned as a rider personally whenever i go up the mtn now matter what hill i always have all my avvy gear. It is habit to take it and i look at it especially if a person has kids with them it teaches them to always have the proper safety gear whenever they head up the hill. My two cents as a rider not business person.

sduhn

Reaction score
You are correct in the fact that belle is a `family area` per say. But on the same token as far as i`m concerned as a rider personally whenever i go up the mtn now matter what hill i always have all my avvy gear. It is habit to take it and i look at it especially if a person has kids with them it teaches them to always have the proper safety gear whenever they head up the hill. My two cents as a rider not business person.

Thanks for the input, not having a lot of mountain experience, two cents from someone who has more experience than I is greatly appreciated...I guess we will be seeing you on the 19th.

glengine

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input, not having a lot of mountain experience, two cents from someone who has more experience than I is greatly appreciated...I guess we will be seeing you on the 19th.

No problem. Glad could help. We like to try and make everyone`s time in mcbride as enjoyable as possible.

sduhn

Reaction score
You'll be fine in belle. Once you get to the cabin climb the hill that will be right there, the hill is nothing technical. The bigger hill is to your right which is called big belle, at the bottom there is a creek bed that you should avoid. Once you get to the top there are meadows on the other side you'll have a ball, you do not need to venture far from the cabin to have a great time!. The last time i was there there were nice drifts to play in along the tree lines. On the the open meadows are great to learn in and there are places you can learn to play in the trees. In these meadows you do not have to worry about avys, just enjoy the scenery if its clear enough and tear it up. I don't think I'm going to be there early enough on that sat, I'd show you around belle but there are guides in mcbride if you want to go that route. Ask steve at the sled den about tours offered.
Either way You'll have a good time at belle.

Thanks I appreciate the advice.....We are heading out sat, sleddng sun and returning on mon....:)

Caper11

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Not a stupid question at all, yes the avy risk in the meadows in belle is non existant but that is the perfict time to get used to using one. Take the time to get familar using one. I bought my own beacon, shovel, and probe and practiced here at home when I started mtn riding.
I wont ride with anyone who does not have one on, it's a personal choice I made.

bbtoys

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
family day activities on Sunday the 20 on Lucille if you are interested. and you should get used to the beacon shovel and probe in a low risk area as you may need to help someone else that may not have been in a low risk area.

Last edited:

sunshine

Reaction score
Not a stupid question at all, yes the avy risk in the meadows in belle is non existant but that is the perfict time to get used to using one. Take the time to get familar using one. I bought my own beacon, shovel, and probe and practiced here at home when I started mtn riding.
I wont ride with anyone who does not have one on, it's a personal choice I made.

Agree with this very much!!! We were there last week, and had one person that was a passenger, she only rode for one day, but like we said, you never know, and better safe then sorry. Also said not being rude or anything, but won't ride with someone if they don't have a beacon. Just a good standard to have, good practice to get in. We rented all of our stuff from Sled Den, they had everything that we needed. And great people.

Sled Den

Reaction score
Is there any one coming this way from Edmonton this weekend?

Can you give me a call: 250-569-0155

Thanks Steve

Firefly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
family day activities on Sunday the 20 on Lucille if you are interested. and you should get used to the beacon shovel and probe in a low risk area as you may need to help someone else that may not have been in a low risk area.

That's a great idea and there will be alot of people riding aound the cabin all day.

Sorry Sduhn I just noticed that you are going to be there the following weekend! My apollogies!

Top Bottom