Cold out, what oil are guys running in diesel trucks

inside

Reaction score
Since it is cold was just seeing what oil guys are running in there trucks? I was running Deere 0W-40 but just switched to Petro-Canada 0W-40. Run it pretty much year round.

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Co-op DMO 15 W 40 in summer and 0 W 40 synthetic in winter.

-40 and my dmax fires up and runs like a kitten with the 0 W oil.

Some people say that co-op has inferior quality lubricants but in 20 years of my dad and i running it in all the loaders, semis etc. we've had nothing but good luck with it.

Go about 10 thou km's to an oil change.

hope this helps :beer:

Hicktown

Reaction score
In my truck I run Valvoline Premium Blue Heavy Duty Full Synthetic 5W40 in winter. Unfotunately always outside, never gets a cozy garage to warm up. Fires up great, oil pressure really quick.
Use Coop 0-40 in all the tractors all winter, same thing, fire up easy and oil pressure quickly.

OVERKILL 19

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dido on the amsoil 15-40...I was going to run 0-40 but I thought its never usually that cold for long periods at a time ......fawk was I off!

But I have had zero issues, plugged in always. Fires right up, even one night shift some a$$ clown took my cord -35 she still went. He went home without a plug end on his block heater!:nono:

sirkdev

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion guys but you can get a silicone pad style heater made by wolverine from Greggs distributors and then glue it on the pan and run 15w40 year round you will pay for the heater with the money that you save on the first oil change. I am not trying to dispute the benefits of synthetic because there are plenty. I still run it. Just an option for somebody trying to save some coin.

The 150watt heater gets my oil hot enough that is is uncomfortable to touch the bottom of the dipstick with bare fingers. I have run them on every truck and after seeing how well they work I always will. Warm oil is a good thing.

inside

Reaction score
Some of the old style thinking is that there is no way a 0-40 oil can run in a engine "just can't work". I have ran it in mine for a 100,000km, last oil change was at 11,000 km and never burnt a drop.
The only trouble I have heard is a guy tried it in a wheel loader stock piling gravel, he said it would burn oil. To long at a max load.
The little heaters I think are a great idea, warm oil lubs better, and stays cleaner. I bought one and miss placed it. Too cheap to buy another.

higher n you

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
15w40 royal purple diesel synthetic year round in a 08 dirtymax. 310 000km on my 04 and 180 000 on the 08 with no issues

Mikew5j

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Esso XD-3 0-40 syn all year round never had a issue, its not cheep but either is a engine

x2 on the 0-40 syn.....great oil in the dmax:d

x3, great oil. I've been running the Esso for years in my 2003 and 2006 6.0L Power Strokes. I run it year round, and no problems.

If it keeps my 6L problem free, imagine what it will do for any other diesel.:d

Pistonbroke

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just a suggestion guys but you can get a silicone pad style heater made by wolverine from Greggs distributors and then glue it on the pan and run 15w40 year round you will pay for the heater with the money that you save on the first oil change. I am not trying to dispute the benefits of synthetic because there are plenty. I still run it. Just an option for somebody trying to save some coin.

The 150watt heater gets my oil hot enough that is is uncomfortable to touch the bottom of the dipstick with bare fingers. I have run them on every truck and after seeing how well they work I always will. Warm oil is a good thing.

Cool idea, but what about when you're away from AC power somewhere?

I remember on one of our old farm trucks running a detroit (no idea what oil - sorry) , we had a block heater, pan heater, and a battery blanket all plugged in the night before we would haul grain. Started good but pretty sure the power meter was spinnin' good too! :D

Beels

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Conoco-Phillips Triton ECT full synthetic 5W40 all year long in my '06 Dmax. Gregg Distributors handles it. I used to run the Co-op 0W40, but I can buy this oil cheaper and the cold pour point listed for the Triton is -48C. At that temp, I'm not driving anything... LOL

Did some reading on the Co-op 0W40 before I ran it and it's an excellent oil as well. Can't go wrong with either. I put on anywhere from 30 to 35 K / yr and change oil once in the spring and once in the fall. The only time mine burns any oil is when I load it at high speeds for long periods of time, like running the interstate at 80mph with an enclosed behind.

bighiter

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Some of the old style thinking is that there is no way a 0-40 oil can run in a engine "just can't work". I have ran it in mine for a 100,000km, last oil change was at 11,000 km and never burnt a drop.
The only trouble I have heard is a guy tried it in a wheel loader stock piling gravel, he said it would burn oil. To long at a max load.
The little heaters I think are a great idea, warm oil lubs better, and stays cleaner. I bought one and miss placed it. Too cheap to buy another.

The only thing i see running 0-40 is little loss in oil pressure. In reality there shouldn't be any loss due to the fact that at operating temp it is still a 40 oil but everything i have put it in seems to loose a bit when warm.

With our loader loading trucks in winter and pushing snow we don't see a difference in consumption unless the weather gets warm then it seems to use a bit more oil with 0 W 40.

wilsonck

Reaction score
Shell rotella 5w-40 syn year round in Duramax

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Top Bottom