clutch wont come off 09 xp

Snort

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couldn't get the clutch to come with the puller, so I thought I would try the water trick. Worked 100%. I was a little surprised.

Now I have the clutch off but I can't seem to get it apart. In the past I have left the puller screwed in, held the clutch in my hand and gave the end of the puller a tap. Has always worked before, but not this time. Any tricks for this part?

teeroy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Couldn't get the clutch to come with the puller, so I thought I would try the water trick. Worked 100%. I was a little surprised.

Now I have the clutch off but I can't seem to get it apart. In the past I have left the puller screwed in, held the clutch in my hand and gave the end of the puller a tap. Has always worked before, but not this time. Any tricks for this part?
you were surprised something you read on teh intranets turned out to be true? lol...to be honest, so was i....:d

I thread the puller in 4 or 5 turns into the fixed half, then turn the clutch upside down with the puller's nut end facing the cement floor and bring it down hard onto the puller. the sliding half should fall loose into your hands....don't be scared to use a good amount of force, takes a pretty good whack.

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
:beer:Lot's of help heh! I've tried most of those things on my XP, but the one that worked for me is remove the bolt fill the cavity with grease to the top of the threads for the puller, teflon the threads on the puller and run it in quickly with an impact. The puller generally doesn't hit bottom before it pops off.:beer:

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
:beer:Lot's of help heh! I've tried most of those things on my XP, but the one that worked for me is remove the bolt fill the cavity with grease to the top of the threads for the puller, teflon the threads on the puller and run it in quickly with an impact. The puller generally doesn't hit bottom before it pops off.:beer:

impact wrenches are hard on crank bearings, the generally recommended procedure is to not use them for clutch removal.

Skidoo69

Reaction score
Tapping the puller isn't the greatest idea. Tap on the inside of the clutch shaft with a brass punch if it needs that shock factor to release. Its worked for me every time.

Dynacorkle

Reaction score
I hear ya Modman, the idea is to have it pop before the puller reaches bottom. I spoke to a number of Brp dealers about clutch removal before cause i had so many problems with mine. They ALL use impacts. Except without the teflon trick! I was shocked as well:eek::nono: Needless to say I do all my own repairs.

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I hear ya Modman, the idea is to have it pop before the puller reaches bottom. I spoke to a number of Brp dealers about clutch removal before cause i had so many problems with mine. They ALL use impacts. Except without the teflon trick! I was shocked as well:eek::nono: Needless to say I do all my own repairs.

I too was quite appalled when I was at a Poo dealer in BC and watched the mechanic bang the clutch on and off with an impact on my buddy's sled!

Modman

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

I know, its scary what the dealers do, doesn't make it right :D....mainly the reason I do my own stuff as well.

flabbajabba

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I just have to say thanks to all that posted this water trick. We had one stick tonight to the point I was standing on the wrench on the puller I was sure we were going to break the puller.(even whacked it with a rubber mallet) I talked the boyz into trying the water thing and all I can say is WOW Popped off really easy. I will not be using a puller on mine ever again. Its kind of one of those things you don't believe till you try it.:thumbsup2:

Top Bottom