Check out this Bull story??????

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Over reving can contribute to a bent crank/

i know that.

but im sure he was not over reving.

also if all pinweights were the same and you are using a dynamically balanced clutching system.....

a slight over rev is not going to contribute much to a bent crank.

if something was wrong. like clickers not the same, pinweight not the same or part alignment was incorrect and revving or over reving for long periods of time it could bend the crank.

Mongrol

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a buddy in Kamloops that straightens cranks for a living from dealers all over BC and he feels 90% of cranks bend from excessive RPM and this comes from 40 yrs of experience. Situation is happening more as engines will wind up tighter and riders get more agressive air tirme.

Belts used to slip more, giving a bit of a cushion but now they grab hard. With the higher engagement of a modified clutch, a major shock load occurs to the crank.

Just an off shoot of better performance all around.

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The DJ kit has been in the sled for about a year and has done 8-900 miles on the kit, RPM was hitting about 7900-8000 on tach with 16.3 grams on clicker 5/6 spring riding. So this fall before the first trip took out about 1gram to get the rpm up a bit or be able to click it down. Then go from there. They don't know what they are talking about...

DaveB

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Dude....don't take this lying down. This is complete BS. Get you butt down there and get in front of the service manager. If you are a bit less technical than you'd like to be, I'm sure a volunteer from S&M in your area could come and be your tech rep.

kovs

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
wow, sounds like you need to take your pitch fork with you to shovel the crap they are feeding you
did by chance the govenor cup bushing break? that will let the clutch have more free play, but not enough to bend a crank and also that would be warranty!
i would definately press the issue with the service manager, sounds like you have the knowledge to talk enough tech with them, if not get someone to go with you that knows there sh%t and can call them if there trying to blow smoke up the tail pipe.
even a slight over rev wont hurt anything, bondi runs 83-8400 rpm on his ported motors so who cares if you over rev some.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
beeen running nitrous applications on the 800r motor since it came out at 8500 rpm for long durations of time aswell. i check the runout at the end of the season and it hasnt changed

mach123

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I know that there is alot of clutches out there that are not bang on for balance, so what is the % that skidoo would say is good or bad. I have spent alot of time on the phone with clutch guru's (shrink) and was fed alot of information on clutches, I have played with them alot and never seen a cran go....

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
each part of a skidoo clutch is balanced seperately.

it doesnt get much better than that. hence why they can replace a part inside without rebalancing.

i have never heard of a skidoo clutch that was out of balance HOWEVER they are known for failing bushings or out of tolerance bushings which the average user might not catch. this instantly leads to exess streess on the crank stub. but guess what. thats what warranty is for...?

also there have been cases of 800r cranks being out of true from the FACTORY.

a couple guys on dootalk had posted their crank stub runout readings on brand new machines only to find them out of skidoos design tolerance. LOL

DESIGNED TO FAIL....

Top Bottom