Check Engine Light and Muffler warning.

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In years gone by the can sensor has only been there to sense over heat conditions, now in 14 brp has added programing for the sensor to throw a code if its to cold. Those of you who have had the sensor fall out with no check engine light this is why. The tolerance for sensor position is so tight that there are even a handful of 2014's with stock cans that are turning on the check engine light. It apparently has no affect on the way it runs. There will be a fix for this soon and I can assure you it is not MBRP's product.

Thank you

Deano

Maybe you know something about this. The Mbrp race can I put on my sled last night is a POS. Doesn't fit right, had to pull the muffler end way down to make it work. And still the support arm on the can is an inch from touching the frame where it's supposed to rest. The supplied spring extensions do not work in any configuration. The instructions are junk. Like take a photo of an installed one for fawks sake. The opening in the belly pan is way larger than the end of the muffler so it rattles around in there and leaves room for snow to pile in. I think I'm going to have to return it. Just doesn't look right at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -

pooch

Reaction score
Maxwell i know what your talking about, my trail can fits, but i had to pull the pipe down a but so it would. my 13XM MBRP pipe fit great, i got the springs to work on the trail can, but your right , they could send better instructions or a pic.
i think this is the last MBRP sled can i buy.

Demon700

Reaction score
I am not for sure certain that the can sensor doesn't do much. I had a 2012 freeride that had a Bikeman can on it with the aluminum adapter. If the adapter came lose, the engine would start to pull rpms back sometimes down to 7200rpm depending on elevation. I would stop and tighten it up and the sled would pull full rpms again. Now at the end of last year my 13 X had an engine light go on and it was traced to the sensor in the can (running factory suitcase). BRP had the sensor on back order so I chose to drive it anyway cause I cant stop riding! I noticed the exhaust got sloppy (wet around bottom of suitcase) and the throttle response lacked. As well I lost about 200rpm on top end. The sensor was replaced and I am right back to 7900-8000rpm all day long.

I talked to Cory Micku when I was buying my Bikeman pipe kit, which works by the way but is finiky. He said they found that the sensors have a 5% +/- allowance between there programmed operating temps at certain TPS positions and as well had like a 5% variation between pipe and can sensors at certain TPS positions. Please dont hold me to that info as I talked to him a couple years back already.

Just my experience, I thik it still greatly depends on the sled, elevation, tempuratures outdoors, atmos conditions cause quiet honestly there seems to be a difference amongst alot of etecs. One aftermarket dealer has even setup trial cans with all the brands he sells. His feedback was that there seems to be no consistency between which can is best for the etec, its which can is best for that certain sled.

Boost Monster

Reaction score
Last night was the first ride out with my 2014 XM 163x. I installed a '14 MBRP Race Can. Not sure if I am just lucky but I put 60 hard miles on last night with NO issues! The sled ran flawless! No engine lights, muffler warnings or bogs! I was riding near Gibbons. Tried everything to make it go into limp mode or throw a code and nothing! (poor throttle lol). I had the MBRP Trail can version last year on my '13 XM. It was very quiet I thought. This New MBRP Race Can is loud! It sounds awesome! Nice and quiet just crusing, but slam the Throttle and BRAPPPPPP! ( makes me feel 18 again! ) Lol.

motorheadracing

Reaction score
Maxwell. I know exactly what you are talking about. I used my mbrp can off of my 12 and originaly thought it didn't fit. Then I saw a 2014 mbrp can. It was the same thing. Not sure if it was just my particular application but I cut about 1.5" off the can tail pipe that exits the machine. Fits great now.
After the first quick break in just in a field. This same exhaust code flashed up with the temp sensor. I'm glad it's not just me and hope they find an answer. It didn't restrict power at all. I just dislike codes

Sent from my shoe phone

Dmf

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
as is said in the 2014 xm can issues thread: the code comes up when the probe takes a reading being too "cold", BRP put this calibration in so the operator would actually stop riding and physically look and see if their probe had fallen out so they weren't melting their plasti. so this will most likely effect the sleds in break in being so that they have more oil slubber in the pipe covering the probe via giving a colder reading. I have a 13 with the 14 flash on my sled and obviously im outta break in and no code came up with my sled with a can on

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Maxwell if you have fitment issues with the can call Byron direct at mbrp he will be more then happy to look after it for you.

Deano

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 with reflash and now my sled is throwing the check engine muffler code. Never did once all last year with over 2400 km. Mbrp can. It's annoying if you ask me. Wish i didnt get the reflash now. Hope a new reflash will make it go away. It seems to come on when not running hard but sled is warm supporting the theories above.

sidehiller69

Reaction score
I have a 13 xm just got update also and it is throwing me codes. I talked to A&E and they told me to cut the port where your sensor goes re weld it on to get the sensor closer to the main exhaust. Reason for this is to get the sensor 50 degrees warmer and should stop throwing codes. I have not rode it but I cut the sensor port down so the end of the sensor tip is a 1/4 inch from the main exhaust port and re welded it on will try riding tonight and let you know if it works.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 13 xm just got update also and it is throwing me codes. I talked to A&E and they told me to cut the port where your sensor goes re weld it on to get the sensor closer to the main exhaust. Reason for this is to get the sensor 50 degrees warmer and should stop throwing codes. I have not rode it but I cut the sensor port down so the end of the sensor tip is a 1/4 inch from the main exhaust port and re welded it on will try riding tonight and let you know if it works.

Why not just wait for the update from BRP? I would never cut up a brand new can due to a software issue, and it's not even causing any issues with the sleds performance.

sidehiller69

Reaction score
Why not just wait for the update from BRP? I would never cut up a brand new can due to a software issue, and it's not even causing any issues with the sleds performance.
Actually it has been causing me problems.....It seems that when that light comes on it seems to load up and hesitates.

BeachSled

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Actually it has been causing me problems.....It seems that when that light comes on it seems to load up and hesitates.

Oh well that sucks, we ran the MBRP race cans and noticed that we had the check engine light come on, but we had no issues with power loss or drive ability issues.

summit1974

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a 2013 with reflash and now my sled is throwing the check engine muffler code. Never did once all last year with over 2400 km. Mbrp can. It's annoying if you ask me. Wish i didnt get the reflash now. Hope a new reflash will make it go away. It seems to come on when not running hard but sled is warm supporting the theories above.

must be the can cause i had no codes or lights come on my sled after getting the reflash done.I have a sled shed cooker can.

stormtrooper

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes. I think it's can specific. My buddies 2013 with update and TSS can threw no codes. I put the stock can back on and we will see what happens.

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes moving your sensor closer will correct the cold sensor cold, however its going to richen up your fuel map as it will read hotter there for dumping more fuel at the engine. Brp is close very close to having this fixed. I would recommend to anyone with a pre 14 sled that you NOT get it flashed with the 14 flash until this is solved. Again this is not an MBRP flaw the sensor placement is spot on to optimize engine performance. As far as being can specific lets just think about why every other can on the market places their sensors 1/2-3/4 of an inch closer to the flow of exhaust than MBRP and what affects this has on sensor readings. Also what would this change as far as fuel mapping and ignition timing goes. Exhaust is what mbrp does and I can assure you that the R&D on their product goes far beyond the scope of just " seeing if it works" The etec can was developed to optimize performance and manipulating sensor placement will change this.

Thank you

Deano

sidehiller69

Reaction score
Yes moving your sensor closer will correct the cold sensor cold, however its going to richen up your fuel map as it will read hotter there for dumping more fuel at the engine. Brp is close very close to having this fixed. I would recommend to anyone with a pre 14 sled that you NOT get it flashed with the 14 flash until this is solved. Again this is not an MBRP flaw the sensor placement is spot on to optimize engine performance. As far as being can specific lets just think about why every other can on the market places their sensors 1/2-3/4 of an inch closer to the flow of exhaust than MBRP and what affects this has on sensor readings. Also what would this change as far as fuel mapping and ignition timing goes. Exhaust is what mbrp does and I can assure you that the R&D on their product goes far beyond the scope of just " seeing if it works" The etec can was developed to optimize performance and manipulating sensor placement will change this.

Thank you

Deano

Well it works 100% better then it did now that i have changed placement and tested it. I have the end of the tip about 3/8 from the main port.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score

Thank you

Deano
Hey Deano. Are you saying BRP is working on a flash so that the consumer can run an MBRP can instead of the stock muffler? If they change the mapping then what happens to the guys running stock mufflers or other aftermarket cans that are working? I am an MBRP can guy through and through but personally, I believe this problem is related to MBRP and a select few other brands of can. It would shock me after 30 years of dealing with BRP that they would come out with a flash for something they feel voids your warranty. Possibly the race shop but not regular engineering.:confused::beer:

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The flash changes absolutely nothing other than the parameters of the sensor itself. As I said the spectrum of development on mbrp cans goes far beyond " lets see if it works". There are stock sleds right now tripping this code with stock cans, there are also customers who have had pre 14 etecs reflashed that went in with no lights on but come out with a cold sensor code on. All im saying is the fix is very close.

Deano

wickster1970

Reaction score
A couple buddies have same issue as yourself. Had no luck fixing problem yet! I believe something with the depth or lack of depth of the temp probe in the can.

Sent from my iPhone using

Top Bottom