Check Engine Light and Muffler warning.

SledManiac

Reaction score
Was riding my 2014 summit xm and I noticed I had a check engine light come on and a Muffler warning come up as well. That was on a groomed trail without scratchers. As soon as I hit some powder both lights didn't come on again. Would those lights just come on because i don't have scratchers or should I take it to a Ski-Doo dealer ASAP?

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
scratchers wouldnt have anything to do with it. check the muffler sensors in your exhaust system. if they are lose it might throw a code.

X2...........the sensor in the muffler and the sensor in the big suitcase. The suitcase one you can check/tighten by opening the RH side panel. The muffler one, you need to take off the hood. Good luck.

snopro

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
X2...........the sensor in the muffler and the sensor in the big suitcase. The suitcase one you can check/tighten by opening the RH side panel. The muffler one, you need to take off the hood. Good luck.
Pipe sensor can be done without taking the hood off. Need a short wrench and hold your tongue right. Lol

neilsleder

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
My wife's sled did with the MBRP race can, the display said muffler and the temp light was on. I looked it over and it diffidently not over heating. I just started it up and cleaned it out really good and never came up for the rest of the ride. I think she was taking it to easy and the sensors got covered in oil. We will see if it happens again.

SledManiac

Reaction score
My wife's sled did with the MBRP race can, the display said muffler and the temp light was on. I looked it over and it diffidently not over heating. I just started it up and cleaned it out really good and never came up for the rest of the ride. I think she was taking it to easy and the sensors got covered in oil. We will see if it happens again.
Ok thanks, Ill just give mine a good cleaning and see if it happens again.

RyanMuir

Reaction score
I don't want to jack the thread. I have a question having to do with check engine lights. I summerized my sled and I finally just got everything back together and the battery installed after doing my c3 belt kit. I started it and right away I got a check engine. Could it be cause the oil flood for summerizing it and it'll just clear with some riding or should I take it to the dealer hopefully get it done before we leave on Monday

birdie

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The issue comes up when an aftermarket can is put on the 2014 models
The Sensor programming did not have a provision for a can and it senses the probe being in a different slot and therefore throws a code
If you put back on your muffler it will go away
BRP are working on it to get a new program built but it is some legal issue
birdie

maxwell

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The Sensor programming did not have a provision for a can and it senses the probe being in a different slot and therefore throws a code
birdie

last season 2 of our exhaust can probes came loose on 2 different machines. they worked themselves right out of the can and were flailing around in the engine bay. sleds ran perfect. no codes. but one of my riding partners made me take his sled for a spin because it was making a strange whistling at high rpm but barely noticeable. other than that the sled ran most of the day like that. which leads me to wonder what that sensor is even doing.

i bet money if any one of you pull that sensor and go for a rip there will be no problem. it has to do with whatever feedback it is getting inside the can which could be like you said improper placement.

i have heard NUMEROUS issues with the new MBRP cans.....so well see shortly what happens here

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I've been running a TSS can for bout 100 ish miles now and I habent seen any codes come up on the '14. Felt like it woke the sled up a bit but I also adjusted the belt tension when I installed the can. More likely to have an affect than a can.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

tex78

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've been running a tss can for bout 100 ish miles now and i habent seen any codes come up on the '14. Felt like it woke the sled up a bit but i also adjusted the belt tension when i installed the can. More likely to have an affect than a can.

Sent from my shoe phone

belt meaning belt drive or do u mean chain ???

MK4TDI

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
belt meaning belt drive or do u mean chain ???

Unfortunately no, I don't have a belt drive. I was referring to the drive belt tension on the clutches. Adjusted the deflection to tighten it up slightly.

Sent from my Shoe Phone

SledManiac

Reaction score
birdie
So I can just keep riding it and ignore that Muffler code? Once I get it I shut it down, wait a few minutes then start it back up again and it doesn't come on for the rest of the ride.

RyanMuir

Reaction score
last season 2 of our exhaust can probes came loose on 2 different machines. they worked themselves right out of the can and were flailing around in the engine bay. sleds ran perfect. no codes. but one of my riding partners made me take his sled for a spin because it was making a strange whistling at high rpm but barely noticeable. other than that the sled ran most of the day like that. which leads me to wonder what that sensor is even doing.

i bet money if any one of you pull that sensor and go for a rip there will be no problem. it has to do with whatever feedback it is getting inside the can which could be like you said improper placement.

i have heard NUMEROUS issues with the new MBRP cans.....so well see shortly what happens here

I agree with you on this. I rode salmon lake last year and mine came out for about 40-60 mins and I was wondering what the sound was, opened up my panel and the probe was out also.. Not one code.
Also I found out why my check engine light was on. The air sensor wasn't completely in.. I'm glad it was nothing serious, heading to revy in 3 days ..whoop!

Deano670

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
In years gone by the can sensor has only been there to sense over heat conditions, now in 14 brp has added programing for the sensor to throw a code if its to cold. Those of you who have had the sensor fall out with no check engine light this is why. The tolerance for sensor position is so tight that there are even a handful of 2014's with stock cans that are turning on the check engine light. It apparently has no affect on the way it runs. There will be a fix for this soon and I can assure you it is not MBRP's product.

Thank you

Deano

Top Bottom