Cell Phones can Mess up Signal From Beacon

taxman

Reaction score
Hey Guys i just wanted to post this. The other day while checking out beacons we found that a personal cell phone that is just in your pocket or on can screw up readings when trying to find your burried buddy. So i would suggest that since cell signal on any mountian sucks anyways, turn off your cell and only turn it on if you need to make a call.

Might be nice to have a sign in the cabin reminding people of this to.

powderpilot

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Any electronics.. Ipods, even two way radios should be at least 10" from your transiever.

Also, magnets can throw your signal. Some jackets have magnet closures instead of velcro... Just got the new HMK gear, and it has them. Time to get the sewing kit out :)

ferniesnow

I'm doo-ing it!
Reaction score
Hey Guys i just wanted to post this. The other day while checking out beacons we found that a personal cell phone that is just in your pocket or on can screw up readings when trying to find your burried buddy. So i would suggest that since cell signal on any mountian sucks anyways, turn off your cell and only turn it on if you need to make a call.

Might be nice to have a sign in the cabin reminding people of this to.

When one takes an AST1 course from Zac's or Hangfire that is presented and discussed.....just saying:happyholidayswreath

snoqueen

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
When one takes an AST1 course from Zac's or Hangfire that is presented and discussed.....just saying:happyholidayswreath

Yup, that's right. You will learn this interesting fact along with all the facts that you should have before heading out to the backcountry.....:mountainClimb:

Carbon

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
put thet god dam thing away:d,quite txting the woman and ride....bla hahaha

sidehillgouger

Reaction score
sometimes a cell phone is quite helpful wen on da mountain, especially wen tuning equipment;);)just turn it off wen riding, you wont here it ring anyways or searching for buried sledder.

TLGirl

Reaction score
Another thing that can mess with your beacon is having a chocolate bar in a foil wrapper in your chest pocket.. Seriously!

Summiteer

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Just one more reason to avoid getting caught in an avvy as opposed to relying on the beacon and your friends to find you. If you need to use the beacon you have already fu%&ed up.

Top Bottom