Caw/hammel ridge grande cache

gladerunner

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Has anybody done these rides and if so how long will each on take ?
Is there more riding around there?
Want to spend 4 0r 5 days out there
where is a good place to camp?
Can you camp on beaverdam road?
Any other information will help in planning trip

thanx!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

indyguy

Reaction score
We spent last week in that area. Rained every day. Bring warm clothes and rain gear cause once you get up there the weather changes every 5 minutes. 4th trip for our family there and we always enjoy the scenery on that ride. Lots of other cutlines to explore along the way also.
We didnt try Mt. Hammel because we heard that that area was closed to ATV's - but sure looked like there was lots of ATV tracks going that way - maybe somebody else will comment on Mt. Hammel.
Dont recommend trailering up the Beaverdam Road - lots of ruts and little washouts and rough going.
Camp just on the north side of the Beaverdam Road turnoff on either side of the hiway and you can ATV from there. Bring some dry firewood also.
You can easily do 100-120+km/day if you camp/atv from here so bring along extra fuel.
We also went south of GC on the Huckleberry Tower road and found some interesting cutlines along the road that we toured for a bit.
Overall I like ATVing on the west side of the Hiway cause I like looking at the Wilmore Park mountain ranges. There are a lot of different trails you can take north and south of GC. Talk to some of the locals and they might give you some nice areas to ride. Thats how we found some of our areas plus we also tend to explore by ourselves just to see where some of the trails go.
We also took the kids white water rafting on a rainy day with Wild Blue Yonder and ended up having a great afternoon doing something different and seeing some different scenery.
We camped at Pierre Grey Lakes south of GC this year and its a nice campground with some good trout fishing. $23/night. Big lots. Only downfall was that we had to trailer our ATV's out. Not a big deal because we would have had to trailer any way to see some other areas that I wanted to try.
If your wanting to just ATV the Caw Ridge area camp and ATV along the hiway like I mentioned above. Seems like there always people there and they might also give you more advice.

Safari Guy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.wildkakwasafari.com
used to be able to go up Hamell??? Was the gate closed across from the mine/power plant??? that is the good way to get into caw ridge,,,,, it is a weyerhauser rd,,,,,, you can take the beaverdam rd up to Kakwa River thats the old Edson trail that used to go to beaverlodge up over Nose mnt.

Sledderglen

Super Moderator
Reaction score
used to be able to go up Hamell??? Was the gate closed across from the mine/power plant??? that is the good way to get into caw ridge,,,,, it is a weyerhauser rd,,,,,, you can take the beaverdam rd up to Kakwa River thats the old Edson trail that used to go to beaverlodge up over Nose mnt.

Got more info on this historic trail??? I am interested for sure

Top Bottom