Cattaract Creek.

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I have only been once its a good ride inn there i just think you have to allways remember were the trail goes,it does get trickey up top knowing were to go is the biggest thing, I would`nt do it enless i had someone tat new the route really well.

Last edited:

clintonk

Reaction score
Ya I might pass on it for now, don't need to get in trouble as I have 2 other guys with me that probably won't want to go over. Any other areas around there you would recommend going?

Bunn

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Stay out of Fording Pass with the avy risk high.Not worth the risk.Also would not recomend going with inexperienced riders,some spots are alittle tricky and can scare novice rideres.As for taking the short track,we do it all the time.Long track helps but if you know how to ride,just makes if more fun.I do recomend going with someone who has a long track to break trail up the hills if there has been any new snow.

clintonk

Reaction score
Just got back, burrr.... really cold and barely any snow to make it worth while. Mostly road the trails around Cataract, rode some logging roads and some open areas, but alot of stumps and trees everywhere. Maybe I was riding in the wrong place, but I really don't think its worth going out there again unless it gets another 3-4 feet....just my 2 cents

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Its worth the trip out if you go over Fording to the BC side.I may be going on Sunday if I don't go down to Corbin. Your welcome to tag along if you want Clintonk.

clintonk

Reaction score
I am really wondering how much better it could be over Ford Pass, seeing the snow really sucks around Cataract. I appreciate the offer for the ride, but today was my day to head out as I am leaving for holidays on Monday, someplace a little warmer, Maui :)

Personally I really feel like if I am going to drive 1.5 hrs from Calgary to Cataract for the day, I might as well hit Golden and just go a bit further, where the snow is good?

I have to say though for weekend trips, Revy is the best for snow and terrain.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
On New Years Eve day I went across The continental divide and found lots of snow on the BC side. As you go over the top the snow is wind blown off the top but once you get into the meadows on the BC side there is lots of snow. There was close to 4 feet of fresh baseless powder but as long as you were WOT it was lots of fun that is untill I took off whole right side on a well hidden boulder. Getting out was a real work out in the deep snow and crossing the pass at night in the wind was somthing to remember and would still be there if it was'nt for my GPS but if you want a good family trail ride conditions are not too bad.If you are going over the pass I highly recommend having a GPS as I have done this trip many times but got lost just 20 feet from the trail. Happy New Year to all and make safety your number one priority.No pictures from BC side to worried about getting out.

Cheers,
Dave

Attachments

• Cattaract Dec.31-2008 001.jpg
    Cattaract Dec.31-2008 001.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Cattaract Dec.31-2008 002.jpg
    Cattaract Dec.31-2008 002.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 54
  • Cattaract Dec.31-2008 003.jpg
    Cattaract Dec.31-2008 003.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Cattaract Dec.31-2008 005.jpg
    Cattaract Dec.31-2008 005.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 44

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Glad you guys made it back in one piece Dave.Scarry towing your sled out in the middle of the night. At least for me. Hope u get things fixed up soon and get back out on the snow.:beer::beer::beer:

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Glad to see you made it back. Crossing the top in the dark is no picnic.Looks like there is some new snow in the back.

smokindave

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
If anyone happens to find a side panel with venting in it please PM me lost somewhere near or on Baril Loop trail. Thanks!

Cheers,
Dave

knee deep in it

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
was there today. it was worth the ride. The trails were fairly smooth, some were excellent. Not too much off trail riding unless you have a few spare trailing arms.

Went over the pass and it was pretty good all the way untill the last big climb after the shale summit. 8 guys spent an hour getting up the hill and removing whatever snow there was. We waited at the bottom for a while then gave up.

Sorry Damagedgoods, we looked and never found a side panel. Hope it turns up for you.

Attachments

• DSCI0001.jpg
    DSCI0001.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 44
  • DSCI0002.jpg
    DSCI0002.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 45
  • DSCI0003.jpg
    DSCI0003.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 43

Barton

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Snow looks good kneedeep. All this avy stuff has me scared but I need to get out again. Let me know when you go again as I am pretty much freed up to ride anytime. Just prefer to ride with someone I trust.

Barton

foothills m8

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
tree sawing.jpg Clearing trail into fording pass,naddacsac, his buddy?, summitx and myself.Thinking we were the first inn there,it was right around xmas.

slabm7

Reaction score
Is anyone headed out to Cataract this weekend who knows how to get to the pass and wouldn't mind a tag along. I'm looking to go for a casual day ride and to do some exploring. I've rode the trails there but never dropped into the BC side.

Summit X

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
i've been over a few times in the past last couple weeks and am looking to go for another ride tomorrow. i could probably get us in there, but if neddacsac is going, he is the best guide.
neddacsac, you going tomorrow??

tasco

Reaction score
I will also tag along, I know the area a bit but have never dropped over the fording pass post the details of when you are planning to leave and meet

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Sorry fellas im not gonna be able to get out this weekend:(.Just remember when you hit the boarder sign go sratight south and watch for the markers.:beer:

fullmont

Reaction score
Rode up to Fording Pass today for the first time. VERY windblown-i.e. no snow at all on the pass and a lot of rock riding along the way. Once we got to the sign that showed we were at the west edge of the wildlife park, we didn't know where to go so we turned around. Does anyone know where to go from that sign?

neddacsac

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You turn south and pick your way across the top. There are a couple of black pvc pipes for markers. The trail is past these markers on the south end of the pass. It can be really hard to find if you don't know where it is.:beer:

Top Bottom