Catarract/Etherington/Fording pass conditions 2010/2011

BRP QSC

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there anyone going out to Cataract tomorrow. I want to try out the DOO
KTMOORE are you going out?

KTMOORE

Reaction score
I was out this afternoon. Snow was marginal in the lower trails. Like it was said before 1-1.5 feet of snow. I did not get a chance to go to the higher trails ie. Skyline. I believe the higher trails would be much better. I agree with M8foothills that another 1 foot is needed. I live West of Turner Valley and we have more snow at home then the lower trails. But we still had a great early season run.:d

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out this afternoon. Snow was marginal in the lower trails. Like it was said before 1-1.5 feet of snow. I did not get a chance to go to the higher trails ie. Skyline. I believe the higher trails would be much better. I agree with M8foothills that another 1 foot is needed. I live West of Turner Valley and we have more snow at home then the lower trails. But we still had a great early season run.:d

its good to get out there just the same and pack it down....:beer:

cliffclavin

Reaction score
so fellas anyone go on Saturday? We are planning on going tomorrow and would love hear from anyone there today? perhaps the most important question, how cold was it? looks like Sunday is going to be a high of -15...brrrrr..

calgarysledguy

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Glad to see there starting to get snow out there.Thanks for the pictures/update.

Also more happy to here that were on the same page with it being open to sledding before Dec 1 .I figured it was, as a half a dozen of us talked directly to Park rangers last year verses calling them and had no issues of ridding there before Dec. 1. Lets hope for lots of snow out there this year.

:beer::beer::beer:

cliffclavin

Reaction score
Here are a few pictures from today...snow was not too bad but it was cold.....very cold......

Attachments

• IMG_0013.jpg
    IMG_0013.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 436
  • IMG_0016.jpg
    IMG_0016.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 451
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 430
  • IMG_0018.jpg
    IMG_0018.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 432

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Was this south (skyline area) or Fording?
This is on the way to Fording

Here are a few pictures from today...snow was not too bad but it was cold.....very cold......

Cliff- We carried on a little further that you guys did. We were the two guys on the XPs. The Snow got a little deeper but couldn't make it up the one hill before the shale field. There isn't enough snow yet and a lot of landmines in that area! We tried to pack down the area as best we would so there would be some base under the next snowfall.

We did manage to have a decent ride. Got some break in time on the new motors! The area definitely could use some snow. Did you guys have any luck further south?

cliffclavin

Reaction score
This is on the way to Fording

Cliff- We carried on a little further that you guys did. We were the two guys on the XPs. The Snow got a little deeper but couldn't make it up the one hill before the shale field. There isn't enough snow yet and a lot of landmines in that area! We tried to pack down the area as best we would so there would be some base under the next snowfall.

We did manage to have a decent ride. Got some break in time on the new motors! The area definitely could use some snow. Did you guys have any luck further south?

We rode along the logging road for maybe 20 km...snow was fine but with the higher speed, the cold was not pleasant so we turned back.

we were admiring those xp sleds, they looked pretty slick with all the aftermarket parts...

maierch

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
we were admiring those xp sleds, they looked pretty slick with all the aftermarket parts...

Thanks Cliff! My riding buddy and myself have quite the little pi$$ing match going on. It should be quite the season. Hopefully we'll see you guys out there again!

cliffclavin

Reaction score
Thanks Cliff! My riding buddy and myself have quite the little pi$$ing match going on. It should be quite the season. Hopefully we'll see you guys out there again!

I can imagine....are they 2011 etec? Looks like a pretty sweet engine that skidoo came out with....we were driving the red truck and grey suv. I think you guys were leaving when we came back to the parking lot. Hope to see you guys and anyone else from here again....perhaps a sledding get together further in the season for all readers of the forum....

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone try oyster or skyline yet....or fallers creek

or if the logging road has plenty of white stuff on it ????

With the recent cold snap I'm thinking this stuff will stick around

j335

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Anyone up for a ride there on Saturday? Itching to get out for a ride before first trips to Revy/Golden.

heikki

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I was out today....did 120kms total

all south trails quite decent for first time out....skyline...oyster..cummings....have plenty of fresh stuff......not really packed though....

upper raspberry pass was very good too.....but etherington and trails to the north have lots of hazards and less snow.....

just to advise.....all the gates are still locked..so from etherington you have to slip around or under three gates and the valley bottom trail is gated as well about halfway......and you cant get around that one

keep your eyes peeled and dont go too fast in and around the staging area's

but sure is nice to ride the trails and not play yourself out over 2ft deep whoops...enjoy it while you can......wont be no grooming

the gate closures still apply To Dec 1....and 940 is still open to road traffic.....dont sled on it till the main road gates are closed dec 1

Top Bottom