Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Thread for 2014/15

Highfly

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Hope you are kidding, we have recently had +17 in Calgary, all snow gone and there is a green grass growing on my backyard.

Yep same here....

Anyone been out lately?

Wont be any different than in the pictures I posted of last weekend but maybe even less snow........

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I will be out on Sunday looking at creek crossings on Baril Creek Trail/Fording Pass. We have four 16'x5' ramps/bridges ready to install. Now to find the most desirable locations where they protect the environment the best, where snowmobiles are currently traveling. Any input from area users?
Has the bridge been fixed to cross the creek to go over the fording?? Can we build a bridge to put in there again??

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kaz, what do use to transport bridges/ramps? I ask cause if you plan on using sled you are gonna have a hell of a time.

If you put one at the fording creek hopefully it's beefier than the last one, that one didn't stand a chance

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is this Fording Creek you speak of, B.C.? Or do you mean Baril Creek, on the way over Fording Pass into B.C.?

Kaz, what do use to transport bridges/ramps? I ask cause if you plan on using sled you are gonna have a hell of a time.

If you put one at the fording creek hopefully it's beefier than the last one, that one didn't stand a chance

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
The best way we have figured out to construct bridges/ramps, for now, is to snowmobile trailer them in, in pieces, in winter (obviously) and assemble them on site - where needed (opinions requested). We have invested in, and prepped, 16'x5' spans/ramps. We could construct a bridge or ramp, depending on the need.

The heavy duty bridges over Wilkinson and Cataract Creeks have not been constructed yet, but plans are to have them in place before next winter. At that time we will be able to haul them with quads and Side-x-Sides, during the fall (after September long weekend camper numbers have dropped considerably).

Kaz are you hauling the bridge in pieces or are you building it at each creek??

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is this Fording Creek you speak of, B.C.? Or do you mean Baril Creek, on the way over Fording Pass into B.C.?

yeah I probably meant baril creek, the crossing where there was recently a ramp

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
What a day:

Leave Calgary: -23
Arrive Etherington parking lot: -11
Pack up to leave: -2
Arrive back in Calgary: -7

First "Ride": Etherington Trail, up Baril Loop Trail, on to Baril Creek Trail, ending at the second creek crossing - just past the old sawmill site.
- very poor snow on the trail up to and starting Baril Creek Trail - not that great past there, but short stretches to get snow on sliders
- I did not realize how terrible Baril Creek Trail is (in desperate need of a small bulldozer to smooth out trail/whoopty-doos!)
- I see how damaged original creek crossing is. Not easy to re-establish but fixable using trees on site.
- Creek crossing used now had broken lumber "in the creek" and solid ice on bank to climb out of creek, broken lumber was removed
- scouted a third crossing where a 16 foot, well built ramp could be installed. A trail will have to be cut to ramp on both sides of creek if this goes ahead.
- fellow Snow and Mud sledders investigated and blazed a trail across Baril Creek while we were there, right at the old horse hunting camp. WE WOULD LIKE TO REINFORCE THIS NEW TRAIL RE-ROUTE WITH A 16 FOOT SPAN ACROSS THE CREEK AS SOON AS ENOUGH SNOW RETURNS TO THE AREA.

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Second "Ride" of the day:
- Left Baril Creek Trail and completed Baril Loop Trail - going west - back to Etherington Trail. Good snow on the trail in this section.
- proceeded further west & south on Etherington Trail toward Cataract Creek Trail.
- placed a long log with flagging in large "hole" in trail right off of Baril Loop Trail
- trail needs to be opened/widened to take current path out of stream bed.
- new bridge span across Etherington Creek where Loggers Trail intersects.
- rest of Etherington Trail to Cataract Creek Trail was okay, but I am use to much more snow, and there were some bare spots.
- Ended up at the trappers' cabin.

Last "Ride" of the Day:
- From trappers' cabin to the Etherington parking lot via Cataract Creek Trail, Lower Raspberry-Upper Raspberry-back to Lower Raspberry Trails, and finally on Etherington Trail to parking lot.
- Cataract Creek Trail: need to take my chainsaw and cut downed trees on trail, very thin snow near where bridge is washed out to go onto Cummings Creek Trail/Lost Creek Road from Cataract Creek Trail.
- Lower Raspberry: very thin on snow, not fun at all
- Upper Raspberry: best trail of the day, very good snow, could be better....powder.
- Etherington.....you know......poor.

I will not be back until the area receives substantial snow. When I return, it will be to bridge Baril Creek Trail at/behind the old horse hunting camp.

Last edited:

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is this trappers cabin and old horse camp you speak of?

how were the south trails or did you go that far?

Drumheller got 4-6 inches Friday night/Saturday morning, I take it not much fell at CC

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Where is this trappers cabin and old horse camp you speak of?

how were the south trails or did you go that far?

Drumheller got 4-6 inches Friday night/Saturday morning, I take it not much fell at CC

The trappers cabin is along Cataract Creek Trail, NOT THE "LOOP". You can not miss it if you follow the trail along Cataract Creek west of Fallers Trail, and come to a "opening"/meadow that extends up a rise, the cabin is at the top, in front of the trees.

The "old horse camp" is on Baril Creek Trail just before where you crossed the creek on the broken "bridge".

We did not go on any trails south of Cataract Creek.

Not that much fell at C.C.S.A. - or at least those trails north of Cataract Creek.

Last edited:
Reactions: JZ1

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Kaz, does the CSC have any use for a trail toboggan? When I bought my tilt sled trailer it came with one and I have zero use for it. The one I have is like the blue one

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
Top Bottom