Cataract Creek Snowmobile Area Thread for 2014/15

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Truer words have never been spoken. Although I do not think I will ever go to Mclean with a sled of mine ever again, it would be only under these conditions quoted.
You can run a sled at Mclean if you hit it on the day that it dumps 2-3 feet there. You just have to be ready to go at that moment.

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're Welcome, we all enjoyed doing it!

The final count for participants was 59 I believe, with one family coming from "east of Red Deer" (I forget where exactly, but remember this), one from Standard, and another from Claresholm. I did not hear from where others came from, but I was impressed that they came from "afar".

Our Trail Boss/Destination Coordinator Doug, group leaders Jeremy and Randall, lunch/fire guys Darren and Scott, and the one who spent all day in the parking lot signing people up and marking the cards - Dan, did so with smiles on our faces. Others helped as well, and we are fortunate to have club members who will jump in and help out.

For you that did not make it back out Sunday, I just want you to know that Doug led us down a trail where we were breaking trail through 3 - 6 feet of powder on the way to lunch. That man has more "local knowledge" than most!

a big thank you to the volunteers who organized the poker run yesterday. The weather was perfect, snow was good, trails were as smooth as you could hope for. My understanding is that it was a record turnout for the club - at least 53 people.

I had a great time.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
You're Welcome, we all enjoyed doing it!

The final count for participants was 59 I believe, with one family coming from "east of Red Deer" (I forget where exactly, but remember this), one from Standard, and another from Claresholm. I did not hear from where others came from, but I was impressed that they came from "afar".

Our Trail Boss/Destination Coordinator Doug, group leaders Jeremy and Randall, lunch/fire guys Darren and Scott, and the one who spent all day in the parking lot signing people up and marking the cards - Dan, did so with smiles on our faces. Others helped as well, and we are fortunate to have club members who will jump in and help out.

For you that did not make it back out Sunday, I just want you to know that Doug led us down a trail where we were breaking trail through 3 - 6 feet of powder on the way to lunch. That man has more "local knowledge" than most!

3-6' of fresh? Obviously not a marked trail?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
I did not get my camera out - to busy helping people out or taking my turn breaking trail - but I know someone with video. I will get something from him.
picture's to prove it??

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Are there any hotels in longview? Places to eat breakfast?

Hoping to riding friday and saturday and don't really want to 6 hours round trip each day.

takethebounce

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There used to be one near the steak house I believe? I am not sure of the quality of the rooms.

That steak house in Longview is one of the best in Alberta by the way if you want to stop for a fantastic meal at the end of the day.

Stopping in something like okotoks if you come that way may be better for breakfast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, a cutline on top of a ridge that had blown in with snow, a stiff crust and then pure sugar snow underneath. It was tough to break trail and for the next few in our group to smooth it down but I think that those who followed on had a good trail.
Cut lines?

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is the Twin Cities Hotel - Bar and The Blue Sky Motel in Longview. Business Directory | Village of Longview
Also, Black Diamond, just down the road, has The Black Diamond Bar & Hotel and The Cowboy Trail Motel.
You may be best to choose an accommodation in either Okotoks or High River, though, if you want a "city standard" of accommodation.

Are there any hotels in longview? Places to eat breakfast?

Hoping to riding friday and saturday and don't really want to 6 hours round trip each day.

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
There is the Twin Cities Hotel - Bar and The Blue Sky Motel in Longview. Business Directory | Village of Longview
Also, Black Diamond, just down the road, has The Black Diamond Bar & Hotel and The Cowboy Trail Motel.
You may be best to choose an accommodation in either Okotoks or High River, though, if you want a "city standard" of accommodation.

Blue sky looks pretty decent, thx.

what was the temperature Saturday and Sunday? Forecast is calling for temps in the plus all week, wondering if I should even bother going

Last edited:

Kaz Dog

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Last weekend it was above 0 in Calgary, and never got above -3 at Cataract. Calgary is at approx. 3800 ft. above sea level, and Cataract begins at 5700. Always a little colder there. Check The Weather Channel - Eden Valley site as it is the closest to Etherington/Cataract parking lot. Eden Valley 216, Alberta - 7 Day Weather Forecast - The Weather Network
Blue sky looks pretty decent, thx.

what was the temperature Saturday and Sunday? Forecast is calling for temps in the plus all week, wondering if I should even bother going

• Thanks
Reactions: JZ1

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
Heading out 1st thing tomorrow, hoping the conditions are good. Plan on staying in Longview to go Saturday as well. Anyone been out since last weekend?

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score
It snowed out back...!
And it's tracked out now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lol.

Thx again, wife and I had a blast....well me more than her but she had fun

Last edited:

JZ1

Active VIP Member
Reaction score